Can't control my temper, please help Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Just then, I was arguing with my mum and my younger brother came in and told us to shut up. I didn't, so he got a glass of water and threw it over my head. In retaliation, I did the same to him, but I accidentally got his maths book soaked as well. Next thing I know I go into my room and he's trashed all my revision notes. I was FURIOUS. I had to stop myself from hitting him and I screamed and said stuff I didn't mean.

I deserved it, right? I'm calm now and feeling regretful. How can I control my temper and stop acting like a five year old when I'm almost eighteen? Please help, I don't want to fall out with him
littlemissalex
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i get mad too, but i tend to have a little outburst and keep most of my feelings inside, so i feel like bursting and then shout inside myself till i calm down. At the time when you're pissed off, just stop; say something to get something out of your system and then tell him to get out of your room/leave and go to your room and stay in there till you cool down.
Anonymous #2
Report 12 years ago
I just sit in my room, or move away from everybody so that i dont go crazy. I have a short temper, so i just stay away from people. And if i cant get away, then i just stay quiet, because nothing good can come of it.
dan1982
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Jesus if that were me, id have pinned him down and punched him repeatedly.
supernova2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
wow you guys must have such hard lives....

just cool it down, count to 10 or whatever lame thing it is. Itll turn out the best for every1 in the end.
lucky 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's alright...sh*t happens...
That's nothing compared to when I get mad, cause the way I get mad, thats what I call "out of control" I break stuff....(lol)
One time, I was so mad, that I was about to break the mirror and if my best friend didn't pull me away, I would do it!

so, you aint that bad...dont worry...
Mustard-man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
When I get mad (seems quite often recently) I just punch the wall, or anything close to me.

I mean I've got a really short fuse, e.g. when I get beaten on counter strike source I elbow drop the table really hard, or punch the double glazing window next to me. I also shout really loud......
Tyler Durden
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mustard-man)
When I get mad (seems quite often recently) I just punch the wall, or anything close to me.

I mean I've got a really short fuse, e.g. when I get beaten on counter strike source I elbow drop the table really hard, or punch the double glazing window next to me. I also shout really loud......
Does being called a geeeeeeeeeek get you riled too?
Anonymous #3
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mustard-man)

:eek: :eek: how will you get mad just because you lose in just A GAME?!:confused:
when i was young i got mad because my cousin was saying things about me that wasn't true. I got angry and hitted her with bdminton racket and she got many massive bruces on her legs.

To the OP, you're normal, just control yourself NEXT time.
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by englishstudent)
Does being called a geeeeeeeeeek get you riled too?
raaaaaaaaaar!!!!! :mad: :mad: *punches the computer screen*

:fuhrer:
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
:eek: :eek: how will you get mad just because you lose in just A GAME?!:confused:
when i was young i got mad because my cousin was saying things about me that wasn't true. I got angry and hitted her with bdminton racket and she got many massive bruces on her legs.
Fine, I'm on medication for my acne. This drug has close links to depression and frequent mood swings.
Thud
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Drop whatever you're doing and just leave the room.

Counting to 10 is pointless in my opinion: it just gives me time to think exactly what I'm about to do to the other person.
Anonymous #4
Report 12 years ago
i went through exactly the same thing, i once almost broke my fathers nose and called my little sister a **** because i went crazy. i became a completely different person when i was angry and it almost got me expelled, i found that when i grew up a bit and gained some perspective it got better. also, when i had these outbursts i was mostly either stressed or insecure and they related to exams or boys, and once i started to find those things easier i stopped getting so angry. good luck. dont bother trying to count to ten, it wont work, but try asking yourself what youre so angry about, 9/10 its not actually the person youre yelling at.
Anthonyjm71
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think its best just to, try and think of something that makes you feel calm and relaxed anything!!
hippieglitter
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Just then, I was arguing with my mum and my younger brother came in and told us to shut up. I didn't, so he got a glass of water and threw it over my head. In retaliation, I did the same to him, but I accidentally got his maths book soaked as well. Next thing I know I go into my room and he's trashed all my revision notes. I was FURIOUS. I had to stop myself from hitting him and I screamed and said stuff I didn't mean.

I deserved it, right? I'm calm now and feeling regretful. How can I control my temper and stop acting like a five year old when I'm almost eighteen? Please help, I don't want to fall out with him
Its ok to be angry, at this time of year it is probabaly stress, i lose my temper easily around the time of exams. Brothers are there to be annoying, its their instinct and aim in life. My temper has got worse since i've been at uni, i don't know why, it could be stress, it could be cos i 'm homesick, but for you it is likely to be stress.
susieb
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
all i do is go into a quiet corner, breathe deeply and count to 10. It works for me...
Piers-
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
how will you get mad just because you lose in just A GAME?!
It's all a matter of perspective :rolleyes:

In regards to freaking out in games, check out: FPS Doug and Konane.

Not that this is much help to the original poster. Except, perhaps, a little light relief.
Invocation
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
dont let this sorta thing get to you

try not to get into those situations in the first place
bcr8iv
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd work on improving the bond between you and your brother. The stronger that is, the less you'll fight and get pissed off at him (and then regret it).

We've all been there though, I used to get into massive fights with my siblings very frequently. When I was little for example, my older brother scored a goal on FIFA 1996 by crossing it in the box from the side, I said thats the ONLY WAY HE COULD SCORE and hit him as hard as I could with my controller! He then hit me back and a fight massive fight commenced. Also my brother pushed my sister off my parents bed and she broke her arm-he felt SO bad afterwards. S**t like this is part of life but shouldn't be when you're 18! You have to be the responsible one now, and try VERY HARD to get out of the habit of annoying your little brother as little brothers get annoyed VERY easily!
sheep!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sounds stupid, but I find that when I get really angry at something, running tends to help me wear it off. Plus, the adreneline of being REALLY riled with something makes me run better lol. It's almost like you can feel the anger seeping into the pavement as you repeatedly slap it with your feet. Oooh, poetic. lol.

Also, you can make like Rocky and punch the air as you're running. By the time you get back, not only will you be fitter, but you'll have worn out your anger.

Helps me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (214)
39.27%
No - but I will (38)
6.97%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.61%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (257)
47.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed