The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology SCLY1 Family & Households 13th May 2013.

Scroll to see replies

If it were me, I would I'd start with explaining domestic labour and the divisions, then go onto say how it was once accepted for women to be oppressed into doing so and was a typical functionalist thought. Switch up into modern terms and then say the roles are more equal, and go for 'March of progress'.
Probably talk about how womens job roles are increasing - better jobs > less work at home. There's a sociologist whose name escapes me. Evaluate with dual burden maybe? Triple shift?
Idea of the 'new man', evaluate with the sheer exaggeration of it.
Increase of technological domestic fronts. Evaluate with the fact it doesn't really make house work easier - just more difficult. Commercialization of housework?
Pooling? Edgell?

That's all I've got.
Looks good to me.
Original post by 3mmz
just doing a past paper and read this question....

Examine the reasons for, and the effects of, changes in family size over the past
100 years or so. (24 marks)

Is that family diversity or what?

Sounds like demographic rates to me.
Reply 102
Original post by GrumpyChickensDS
Sounds like demographic rates to me.

wow havent learnt that!

with demography only learned about death rate, birth rate, infant mortality and the age population!

any ideas how you would answer that?
Reply 103
Original post by GrumpyChickensDS
If it were me, I would I'd start with explaining domestic labour and the divisions, then go onto say how it was once accepted for women to be oppressed into doing so and was a typical functionalist thought. Switch up into modern terms and then say the roles are more equal, and go for 'March of progress'.
Probably talk about how womens job roles are increasing - better jobs > less work at home. There's a sociologist whose name escapes me. Evaluate with dual burden maybe? Triple shift?
Idea of the 'new man', evaluate with the sheer exaggeration of it.
Increase of technological domestic fronts. Evaluate with the fact it doesn't really make house work easier - just more difficult. Commercialization of housework?
Pooling? Edgell?

That's all I've got.
Looks good to me.

yeah looks good. when it says examine factors...does that mean reasons?

i hate examine questions. they are really tough.
Reply 104
Original post by 3mmz
what's changing family patterns?

is that diversity? if so the came up in january....will it come up again?

Changes in divorce rates; marriage rates etc. is changing family patterns, not family diversity.
Reply 105
Original post by Deyesy
Changes in divorce rates; marriage rates etc. is changing family patterns, not family diversity.

oh ahhhh i see

have to learn that!
Reply 106
Hi everyone, I really hope social policy doesn't come up! I wouldn't know what write! Any tips?
Reply 107
Original post by 3mmz
just doing a past paper and read this question....

Examine the reasons for, and the effects of, changes in family size over the past
100 years or so. (24 marks)

Is that family diversity or what?

I remeber doing this past paper in class and I didn't get marks for this question because I wrote about family diversity. You should talk about how family size has decreased due to contraception(explain), women don't want to be burdened by children(explain) etc. Hope that helps!
Reply 108
Original post by smir95
I remeber doing this past paper in class and I didn't get marks for this question because I wrote about family diversity. You should talk about how family size has decreased due to contraception(explain), women don't want to be burdened by children(explain) etc. Hope that helps!

ahhh i get it

so basically changes in womens position..women working, becoming career oriented and choose to remain childless...
divorces rising so family size decreases....?

ewww that's a horrible question actually.
Reply 109
Original post by 3mmz
ahhh i get it

so basically changes in womens position..women working, becoming career oriented and choose to remain childless...
divorces rising so family size decreases....?

ewww that's a horrible question actually.

Exactly, and yeah I know horrible questions,it's a trick question
Reply 110
Original post by smir95
Exactly, and yeah I know horrible questions,it's a trick question

you can easily go on and talk over diversity when the question is actually about the changes in womens position
Original post by Enn21
Hi everyone, I really hope social policy doesn't come up! I wouldn't know what write! Any tips?

Best thing to do is draw up a table with the heading social policy. Define social policy too. Then create different rows for each of the theories and what they believe social policies do e.g. feminists see it as enforcing patriarchy.

Further, make a seperate list of social policies and governmental policies that have been implemented by government that have effected family e.g. homosexual adoption etc etc.

If you need anymore help, feel free to mail me :-)
Reply 112
Original post by SeanToBeWild
Best thing to do is draw up a table with the heading social policy. Define social policy too. Then create different rows for each of the theories and what they believe social policies do e.g. feminists see it as enforcing patriarchy.

Further, make a seperate list of social policies and governmental policies that have been implemented by government that have effected family e.g. homosexual adoption etc etc.

If you need anymore help, feel free to mail me :-)

Thanks for the help! :smile: I'll try this today and hopefully it helps! Good luckkk! ox
I've got a strong feeling that divorce is going to come up... it's not been up in recent years.. i hope it does!
Reply 114
Original post by Enn21

Definition of social policy how some sociologists agree others disagree.
Then policies introduced in the UK mention a few like changes in divorce to how long you have to stay legally married before divorce is permissible.
Then talk about how social policy also affect families in other countries and not just the Uk here use example like Russian Revolution of 1917 cant remmeber what they said but i think it was something to do with abortion and stuff. Then link that to Rise of Nazi Germany and their policy of 'Aryan;' families and how only the can produce thsoe who are not would be steralised. Then mention Chinas one child policy and how Adrian Wilson (1985) states that women in China must seek permission from the gov to have children' led to a register and quota of those women who wanted children. Then talk bout the consequences if they didn't abide by the policy e..g fines and would have to go through steralisation after first child.

Then talk about theoretical perspective view so Functionalists see is at positive etc Marxist and New Right do not Feminist- look at how social policies bring about the patriarchal family and how this crating inequality etc.

This is just brief haven't gone through this topic yet? but that's what I can recall from the top of my head.
Does anyone have a list of all the definitions that could possibly come up? I hate not knowing the answer to the first question and this is my second time at this paper :colondollar:
what would the answer be to that bit about how long a couple would have to stay married before being legible for a divorce?
Reply 117
Original post by LlamaLady
That's not true, I sat this exam Jan 2012 and my mind blanked of all names so I didn't put any and I came out with a high B (I was 1 mark off an A which is why I'm resitting now to take some stress off the grades I need in my A-level finals.)

Although I agree that you do have to put in some studies. You just have to know what the studies were and what they show,

That has put me at ease so much. So did you just write, "some sociologists say...... " ?
what topics are likely to come up? xxx
Reply 119
Original post by ikz94
Definition of social policy how some sociologists agree others disagree.
Then policies introduced in the UK mention a few like changes in divorce to how long you have to stay legally married before divorce is permissible.
Then talk about how social policy also affect families in other countries and not just the Uk here use example like Russian Revolution of 1917 cant remmeber what they said but i think it was something to do with abortion and stuff. Then link that to Rise of Nazi Germany and their policy of 'Aryan;' families and how only the can produce thsoe who are not would be steralised. Then mention Chinas one child policy and how Adrian Wilson (1985) states that women in China must seek permission from the gov to have children' led to a register and quota of those women who wanted children. Then talk bout the consequences if they didn't abide by the policy e..g fines and would have to go through steralisation after first child.

Then talk about theoretical perspective view so Functionalists see is at positive etc Marxist and New Right do not Feminist- look at how social policies bring about the patriarchal family and how this crating inequality etc.

This is just brief haven't gone through this topic yet? but that's what I can recall from the top of my head.

Omg thank you, at least I now know what exactly to revise for social policy. Thankss again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending