The Student Room Group

Student finance national Insurance question

Hello there.
I have registered and applied to student finance. But the problem is I don't have a national insurance number. I wasn't born here and I have never worked in this country. I also have settlement status (indefinite leave to remain, which I received late last year. I haven't got a British passport, so I'm not yet a Citizen)

Now I have called SF (Student Finance) with my problem, but they sent me to the Student Loans company, who sent me back to SF, who then sent me to the department of work and pension. So I decided to call HM Revenue and Customs. Who told me that Student Finance are supposed to do it for me. The Job Centre Plus also said the same thing......
So I completed the application, and just waiting to send of evidence. Am I correct in thinking that, student finance will notice I do not have NI and will apply for it for me (or atleast set up an interview). That's the idea I got from HM Revenue and Customs and the Job Centre.

Thank you. I look forward to your reply
Hi Jarasta,

The way it works is that once your application has been processed we send an electronic file to the DWP. If your have an NI then the DWP will verify this and send it back to us. If your don't have an NI then the file is empty which tells the DWP that an NI is needed. The DWP will then pass your details to JobCentre Plus who will contact you to arrange an interview to award you a National Insurance Number.

If you'll be working over the summer you will be issued with an NI right away by JobCentre Plus.

Hope this helps,
Mark-Lee
Reply 2
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi Jarasta,

The way it works is that once your application has been processed we send an electronic file to the DWP. If your have an NI then the DWP will verify this and send it back to us. If your don't have an NI then the file is empty which tells the DWP that an NI is needed. The DWP will then pass your details to JobCentre Plus who will contact you to arrange an interview to award you a National Insurance Number.

If you'll be working over the summer you will be issued with an NI right away by JobCentre Plus.

Hope this helps,
Mark-Lee

Thank very much! You have been very helpful. I understand now, I can now rest assured.

Again, thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending