Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got an offer of BA Economics in Durham University as well as an offer of EPAIS (Economics, Politics and International Studies) in Warwick University. I can't decide though.

I know Warwick has a more prestigious Eco department, but it's a combined degree. I definitely want to further my study after my bachelor degree, and I want to do Phd in Eco or Finance in Oxbridge or US Unis. I'm not sure the economics sides of EPAIS is intensive and sound enough for me to apply for a Phd in polished institutions. Or instead, what are the chances of getting a job in finance section if i take the EPAIS courses when graduated?

Durham is a nice uni and its eco ranking is not bad. But it's a BA rather than a BSc.

I'm an international student and it's impossible for me to visit the either two places.

So should I get a Warwick EPAIS or a straight Eco in Durham? Plus, Could you please give me some information of perspectives(further study or employment) of the both?

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone possibly help? Any advice would be appreciated...

ReputationRep:
    Both are gorgeous and highly-ranked but personally I'd say Durham due to having more flexibility and less tension of study environment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prospective UK)
    Both are gorgeous and highly-ranked but personally I'd say Durham due to having more flexibility and less tension of study environment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for your advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hughlee)
    Thank you for your advice
    No problem !! Good luck with your study. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone possibly help? Any advice would be appreciated...
    Yeah, stop abbreviating economics as "eco" which is the standard abbreviation for ecology and its cognates. Economics is shortened to "Econ". Certainly you will be misunderstood if after arriving at the university you run about telling people you're studying "Eco".

(Original post by Prospective UK)
    Both are gorgeous and highly-ranked...
    I think there's a lot that's good to be said for Warwick but... "gorgeous"?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=cambio wechsel;42302544]Yeah, stop abbreviating economics as "eco" which is the standard abbreviation for ecology and its cognates. Economics is shortened to "Econ". Certainly you will be misunderstood if after arriving at the university you run about telling people you're studying "Eco".

Ah...I see. Thanks for your correction. I didn't notice that possible misunderstanding

ReputationRep:
    I've got an offer of BA Economics in Durham University as well as an offer of EPAIS (Economics, Politics and International Studies) in Warwick University. I can't decide though.

I know Warwick has a more prestigious Eco department, but it's a combined degree. I definitely want to further my study after my bachelor degree, and I want to do Phd in Eco or Finance in Oxbridge or US Unis. I'm not sure the economics sides of EPAIS is intensive and sound enough for me to apply for a Phd in polished institutions. Or instead, what are the chances of getting a job in finance section if i take the EPAIS courses when graduated?

Durham is a nice uni and its eco ranking is not bad. But it's a BA rather than a BSc.

I'm an international student and it's impossible for me to visit the either two places.

So should I get a Warwick EPAIS or a straight Eco in Durham? Plus, Could you please give me some information of perspectives(further study or employment) of the both?
    Warwick IPEAS is a very solid program which sends grads to top banks and management consulting firms. I believe most employers respect it more than they do straight econ of Durham. Now, if you're not interesting in banking and consulting, Durham would be a good option. But then again, why did you aim for such programs when you're not interested in those, in the first place?

I'd say Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Roxas)
    Warwick IPEAS is a very solid program which sends grads to top banks and management consulting firms. I believe most employers respect it more than they do straight econ of Durham. Now, if you're not interesting in banking and consulting, Durham would be a good option. But then again, why did you aim for such programs when you're not interested in those, in the first place?

I'd say Warwick.
    Many thanks to your detailed advice

Well... What I actually apply for is BSc Economics in Warwick, and the course selector emailed me to inform that my application would be unsuccessful. However, the selector of EPAIS in Warwick would like to give me an offer so I accept it.

btw What I intend to do after my graduation is primarilly apply for MPhil on Econ or Finance in top institutions like Oxbridge or LSE. Do you think this programme is still more solid for me to apply for those postgraduate programmes than Durham?

ReputationRep:
    Now, if you're not interesting in banking and consulting, Durham would be a good option. But then again, why did you aim for such programs when you're not interested in those, in the first place?
    Did you sensibly just ask why anyone would study economics except to pursue a career in banking or consultancy?

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks to your detailed advice

Well... What I actually apply for is BSc Economics in Warwick, and the course selector emailed me to inform that my application would be unsuccessful. However, the selector of EPAIS in Warwick would like to give me an offer so I accept it.

btw What I intend to do after my graduation is primarilly apply for MPhil on Econ or Finance in top institutions like Oxbridge or LSE. Do you think this programme is still more solid for me to apply for those postgraduate programmes than Durham?

You can always apply for master's level economics program anywhere you want to with an EPAIS undergrad, whether in the UK or outside of the UK, and if you do have sterling grades, you're most likely going to be admitted. Most top economics postgrad programs would require that your undergrad GPA is impressive. Many EPAIS grads I know back then had very good grades, so they're easily absorbed in top banks and top schools (for those who sought postgrad studies). The guy I know from EPAIS took his postgrad economics at the University of Texas - Austin on a full-ride straight right out of EPAIS. One of his friends was in Columbia University, NY for the same grad level course.

EPAIS is largely an economics program (more subjects are related to economics) and is housed in the department of economics. it's additional advantage is that is has flexibility, so you can take other social science subjects (as it is required in the program) like politics and international studies. But, by and large, EPAIS is more of economics than it is more of politics or IR/IS.

Here's the course syllabus of the program -- http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/ec...ulations/lm1d/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    Did you sensibly just ask why anyone would study economics except to pursue a career in banking or consultancy?
    I know not everyone with an economics degree is attracted to banking. A few economics grads are interested in doing further studies in the field. But at Warwick, there's a strong tradition amongst students of getting into top banks and/or management consulting firms, and so many activities within the department (including in the business school, WBS) are geared towards a preparation of such eventual jobs. I'm not sure if such "tradition" is prevalent at Durham too, but I can tell you that it is at Warwick. And, if you entered at Warwick without giving much thoughts about it, you will eventually be swayed as banks frequently visit the campus to recruit top talents.

That said, there will still be some students in the department who will continue to study up to postgrad level, and many of those who wish to take such route will most likely going to get into his schools of choice in the UK or outside of the UK.

ReputationRep:
    You can always apply for master's level economics program anywhere you want to with an EPAIS undergrad, whether in the UK or outside of the UK, and if you do have sterling grades, you're most likely going to be admitted. Most top economics postgrad programs would require that your undergrad GPA is impressive. Many EPAIS grads I know back then had very good grades, so they're easily absorbed in top banks and top schools (for those who sought postgrad studies). The guy I know from EPAIS took his postgrad economics at the University of Texas - Austin on a full-ride straight right out of EPAIS. One of his friends was in Columbia University, NY for the same grad level course.

EPAIS is largely an economics program (more subjects are related to economics) and is housed in the department of economics. it's additional advantage is that is has flexibility, so you can take other social science subjects (as it is required in the program) like politics and international studies. But, by and large, EPAIS is more of economics than it is more of politics or IR/IS.

Here's the course syllabus of the program -- http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/ec...ulations/lm1d/
    I can't be more appreciate your significant information and help to me^_^
    What you provide is exactly what I want to know in these days' search work.

Well, do you mind my asking one more question? Somebody says the programmes in Warwick is very competitive with elite students there, which means, it needs very hard work and will be less likely for you to get, say, 1st or 2:1 degree here. I would say I fear not any challenges and competition, and I can be very hardworking and endeavor to get an impressive GPA. But still I want to know how stressful students will be there, and will I acquire satisfying scores if I work hard enough?

(Sorry I'm an international student so I haven't a clue about the circumstances in UK unis.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.