Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    So I'm currently studying English (first year) at Queen Mary but have grown increasingly unhappy here and its partly due to my course. I've decided I want to do law now. I applied to QM for law but got rejected (requirements are pretty high) I've also gotten into City Law School and Westminster.
    My initial plan was to do a GDL course after I finish my BA, but I dont think I can withstand another two years of English as I really am not enjoying it.

Any ideas on whether I should stick it out or just leave now?

ReputationRep:
    The outstanding fact is that unless you do well in your BA (first or upper second) you will have absolutely zero chance of qualifying as a lawyer. If you hate your current course than you are unlikely to do well, and if you end up with a low-class degree then you will not be able to fulfill your ambitions. In other words, sticking it out would not be a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you unhappy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bakerloo)
    Hi guys,
    So I'm currently studying English (first year) at Queen Mary but have grown increasingly unhappy here and its partly due to my course. I've decided I want to do law now. I applied to QM for law but got rejected (requirements are pretty high) I've also gotten into City Law School and Westminster.
    My initial plan was to do a GDL course after I finish my BA, but I dont think I can withstand another two years of English as I really am not enjoying it.

Any ideas on whether I should stick it out or just leave now?
    Queen mary will be a good asset to your c.v, you need to weigh up the likelihood of whether you are going to get a 2:1 or above from QMUL or not, if it is likely i'd say stick out your last two years and doing a GDL as it will perhaps look better than a 2:1 in law from either city or westminster (in fact it definitely will) and you will have broader experience to bring to the table. However if you believe you will not get above a 2:2 then definitely leave as this will greatly hinder your prospects in law and in such instances a 2:1 in a subject you prefer will be a benefit to your application.
    FYI for law I would personally argue for City over westminster

ReputationRep:
    CUL for QMc is not a big sacrifice. Go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm new to tsr so I'm not sure how to reply to individual messages.
    But to answer some of your questions, I'm unhappy at QM because of the course. I don't find it stimulating and dropped the ball on it as a whole.
    My main concern with the GDL is that I've heard it's not as well recognised as the LLB in law.
    But on the other hand, if I do the LLB, it won't be at a RG uni which will affect me in the future. Also, it'll mean I've wasted 9k on this current academic year.

for once, I think I'll be practical and stick it out at QM. I'm sure if I put my head down,I can get a 2.1

ReputationRep:
    But to answer some of your questions, I'm unhappy at QM because of the course. I don't find it stimulating and dropped the ball on it as a whole.
    My main concern with the GDL is that I've heard it's not as well recognised as the LLB in law.
    But on the other hand, if I do the LLB, it won't be at a RG uni which will affect me in the future. Also, it'll mean I've wasted 9k on this current academic year.

for once, I think I'll be practical and stick it out at QM. I'm sure if I put my head down,I can get a 2.1
    I'm pretty sure you can do a false start year where first year doesn't count, and finance will support you if you do first year again, so you won't be in debt of another £9k.

Something that's practical isn't always achievable though. If you're really not liking it, is it possible for this to change? For my course, I didn't like French that much at first but I tried to be more optimistic and gradually my view changed. But, I didn't hate it or dislike it that much either.

I don't know much about Law, but only do what you can do in the present, what makes you happy and what will pay off in the long run.

ReputationRep:

Unless you intend to practice abroad, I wouldn't get too hung up on the LLB v GDL argument. Most big firms recruit equal numbers law/non-law. If you wanted to go to the Bar, the balance might be different. I don't know much about that, though.

In a not unrelated vein, how do you know you would like Law? I understand it's fairly uninspiring as an academic discipline, and it would certainly involve more work than you do now. It would be a disaster to move and then find yourself hating an even more demanding course.

I can't comment on QMUL v City, but I'm given to understand (based purely on what I've seen on TSR) then QM is well respected by law firms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That shouldn't be a concern. Growing up in London and taking part in loads of City Law firm workshops, I've been told everywhere that doing a GDL instead of the LLB does not hinder you in any way. In some cases they even like it if you have the GDL which is what I was told at the Barclays legal department. Basically all firms now recruit about 50/50 LLB Law and GDL converters to their firms. So I don't think you should worry about that.

ReputationRep:

If you're hating English but cannot get onto the law course, mightn't QM let you change to something else that isn't law? Howzabouts History?

Something else to consider is that the further into a degree you get, the more opportunity you have to tailor it to suit you. You'll seldom hear anyone say of his course "I loved the first year studies, but cannot abide what I'm doing in year 3", but often hear it the other way about.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.