Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im 18 and I've been going through what I've come to the conclusion could be nothing but depression for around 2 years now, however I've never actually spoke to anyone about it. I've told my mum a few times that it is how I feel & she tells me I need to speak to someone about it but I'm not to sure how to go about that without sounding stupid, after which my mum would just act like it was never brought up. I was at the doctors today just for a throat problem & was considering speaking to her about it, however she wasn't welcoming at all & it ended up being a quiz in how much I drank/smoked at the weekend and felt as if she took a really judgemental view of me, basically that appointment ended up in me breaking down in tears in the car & again mum telling me I need to go speak to someone.

Moral of the story, I'm wondering has anyone ever spoke to a doctor about depression and how did you go about it? I feel if I go to a doctor and say "I'm depressed" it would be like "so?" As I'm not really sure why I feel like this, I'm a normal 18 year old I have plenty of friends, a job, go out at the weekends, go to college & I ignore it and deal with it pretty well myself but there are times were it gets the better if me & can't seem to shake it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You need to come out of the depression and mingle with your friends.Share your happiness ,sad , each and everything with them.Talk more to your relatives.Build more relationships.This would give you better results.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was in the same position as you a few months ago, after something horrible happened to me I became depressed for about 6 months, I though it would be fine and was just some sort of phase, and couldn't actually be bothered to get better, didn't see the point etc.. When it got to the point of effecting my college and work life, I knew something needed to be done but was too scared to see my doctor, my boss then said to me after I got upset at work that the bigger boss would've fired me and I need to go to the doctor before I next see him (this was the day before Christmas eve) - obviously I wouldntve got fired but it gave me the scare I needed to go to my doctor, he was really supportive about it, any good doctor should be, and gave me some anxiety pills for 6 weeks (I couldn't have anti-depressants because it reacts to other pills I'm on) I was worried it might just go back to depression after I stopped taking them, but I didn't, I became my really positive enthuastic person that I love being, I just needed to break the cycle..
    I dread to think what I would be like if I hadn't gone.. Your doctor can also get you counselling which can realllly help.. Just talking to someone about what you're really feeling.. Try excercising more and seeing your friends more or joining groups because this all helps to get better, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I haven't personally but my brother has and they will test you to determine what sort of treatment you need- either drugs or therapy ( or both .in some cases) You shouldn't worry about talking to the doctor about it as they will.not judge you at all, it is very common and plus they have had to deal with a lot worse things. Its iportant to get help if its avalible .

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I also suffer from depression and I know how you feel. It isn't easy, especially when you are trying to deal with it by yourself and if I am correct in thinking this; not many people other than your mum knows. It is when you see other people flying past you in life, succeeding, being happy and seemingly not having to care too much about difficulties in life that gets you down. And that's because you feel like you are not making any progress with your own life, not just materialistically, but psychologically. You feel as if you are stuck in the same spot, just getting deeper and deeper into the quicksand.

I know this. Because this is the position I'm in.

I'm 17, and I've had this for just over a year now. I go through everything that I mentioned above. And the key to keeping yourself above this deep dark hole is to focus on something that will make you feel accomplished.
    Here are some questions to ask yourself:

-Where do my interests lie and can I do them? For example, writing~if you enjoy writing or being creative, then write a blog! Or a small story that you can think of. Doing and completing something that you feel you enjoy will enrich you, thus giving you positive feelings of engaging the side of you that can succeed.

-What am I doing for myself right now? This is definitely the hardest part for anyone to do. Getting up and doing something about the problems at hand requires the most motivation and work, yet it is important to remember that this rewards the greatest RESULTS. For example, put yourself in a position where you have to think about something else by being in a social environment or professional environment.

Besides these two questions, its also important to think of the positive light at the end of the tunnel. Never compare your problems to others, but when you think of it all in perspective, it makes you realize that there are people out there in the world who are a whole lot worse than us, and we have to take advantage of the good things that we have in life and be happy. Positive energy is proven scientifically as well as spiritually to increase life expectancy and improve quality of life. When we are so unhappy, it increases our chances of being ill, be it a cold or a terminal disease which is far more serious.

Just look at my profile. Finding that happiness is the key to being happy, no matter what situation you are in in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stylishhair)
    You need to come out of the depression and mingle with your friends.Share your happiness ,sad , each and everything with them.Talk more to your relatives.Build more relationships.This would give you better results.
    You obviously have never suffered with depression or understand what depression is, how that illness affects people. While you may be correct that a lot of support can be found with the people around you, think about how you communicate that. You've just said "so, get over it?" or at least thats what I've read.

To answer the original post, I am so sorry that you feel so low userpass, I am really glad that you've found the courage to approach your GP about it. They shouldn't just say "so?" they should inquire further to determine whether how you're feeling is circumstantial to whats been going on around you. They should take your concern seriously, its their job to. If you feel more comfortable go see a different doctor.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2013
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.