Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This feels like a stupid question, so sorry if it is!

I've been dyeing my hair with Casting Creme Gloss since Christmas, but it needs redoing every 3 weeks because it's red on what was fairly mousy blonde and fades pretty badly.

So I've bought the permanent version (Loreal sublime mousse) instead, but is there any way of working out how long it'll stay looking decent? And is it likely to fade out eventually or will I have to grow it out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    This feels like a stupid question, so sorry if it is!

I've been dyeing my hair with Casting Creme Gloss since Christmas, but it needs redoing every 3 weeks because it's red on what was fairly mousy blonde and fades pretty badly.

So I've bought the permanent version (Loreal sublime mousse) instead, but is there any way of working out how long it'll stay looking decent? And is it likely to fade out eventually or will I have to grow it out?
    Permanent reds fade just as fast as semi's do. It depends on how much you wash your hair and how well you take care of it that result in how quickly colour fades. Given that your hair is already blondish, the red dye will not need to pre-lighten your hair before it adds the colour, so it will fade over time and you won't have to cut or grow it out. Although, it is known for some residue to remain after the colour has washed out completely, but it should only appear as a tint when under sunlight.
    Hope this helps, if not let me know

ReputationRep:
    I'm the opposite, I've been dying my hair permanently since about 14 (when I started going grey for some reason).
    Now I'm thinking of switching to Casting Creme Gloss because it seems less damaging.

I've used permanent reds before and they lasted for about a month then faded to a permanent brown colour (which you'll need to grow out). To make them last longer I used a really bright red semi-permanent dye like Manic Panic and put a small amount in my conditioner.

How good do you find Casting Creme Gloss?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kk_15)
    Permanent reds fade just as fast as semi's do. It depends on how much you wash your hair and how well you take care of it that result in how quickly colour fades. Given that your hair is already blondish, the red dye will not need to pre-lighten your hair before it adds the colour, so it will fade over time and you won't have to cut or grow it out. Although, it is known for some residue to remain after the colour has washed out completely, but it should only appear as a tint when under sunlight.
    Hope this helps, if not let me know
    Thank you! Good to know that it fades, as much as I like the red I'm really tempted to go properly blonde this summer and didn't want to have to cut off all my hair to do so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therisenmitten)
    I'm the opposite, I've been dying my hair permanently since about 14 (when I started going grey for some reason).
    Now I'm thinking of switching to Casting Creme Gloss because it seems less damaging.

I've used permanent reds before and they lasted for about a month then faded to a permanent brown colour (which you'll need to grow out). To make them last longer I used a really bright red semi-permanent dye like Manic Panic and put a small amount in my conditioner.

How good do you find Casting Creme Gloss?
    I've never tried any other dye so can't compare it to anything, but it's brilliant. Really easy to put on, wipes off face/ears so easily so no random stains, and it doesn't seem to dry my hair out at all - I've been using John Freida Full Repair intensive mask once a week just in case. I tend to get a week and a half of brilliant colour and then two weeks of gradual fade until I'm left with mostly just the brown base with almost red bits where I used to have natural blonde highlights, but it still looks alright, just not as red as it started! I've used Mahogany and Cherry Red, but I didn't leave Cherry on for long enough last time and it came out looking like Mahogany.

Tbh I only really bought permanent cos it was on offer, now CCG is back on 2 for £10 I might just get that again in future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    I've never tried any other dye so can't compare it to anything, but it's brilliant. Really easy to put on, wipes off face/ears so easily so no random stains, and it doesn't seem to dry my hair out at all - I've been using John Freida Full Repair intensive mask once a week just in case. I tend to get a week and a half of brilliant colour and then two weeks of gradual fade until I'm left with mostly just the brown base with almost red bits where I used to have natural blonde highlights, but it still looks alright, just not as red as it started! I've used Mahogany and Cherry Red, but I didn't leave Cherry on for long enough last time and it came out looking like Mahogany.

Tbh I only really bought permanent cos it was on offer, now CCG is back on 2 for £10 I might just get that again in future.
    ooo, I'll have to get on that 2 for £10.
    I think I'm going to get chocolate. It looks like my natural colour but richer (and less grey )

The reds I've tried before were Garnier Nutrisse. It was good but if you try it be careful of "deep red" ans "deep reddish brown" because they turn out really really dark.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.