Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dad hitting puppy. watch

ReputationRep:
    My dad thinks hitting the puppy on the nose and slamming a ball on string infront of him is the way to teach him not to wee in the house. My dad has some learning difficulties so I don't know how to teach him it's wrong. I've tried telling him that by doing that he will think its wrong to wee full stop, but he just doesn't get it and thinks I know nothing about dogs and that he knows everything.

ReputationRep:
    The puppy should be rewarded for doing it right, not punished for doing it wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Won't it just teach the puppy to be afraid of balls/string?

Hitting a puppy is like hitting a baby - it is too young to understand. There are far better techniques that won't involve the puppy becoming afraid of your dad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    My dad thinks hitting the puppy on the nose and slamming a ball on string infront of him is the way to teach him not to wee in the house. My dad has some learning difficulties so I don't know how to teach him it's wrong. I've tried telling him that by doing that he will think its wrong to wee full stop, but he just doesn't get it and thinks I know nothing about dogs and that he knows everything.
    Why don't you suggest to your dad that the best way to get the puppy to learn not to wee in the house is to move the dog outside every time it has a wee in the house because that way it learns to go outside. That's what we did with ours.

So like rather than just telling him its wrong to hit the dog, if you show an alternative he might be more willing to do that and to listen to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kanojyoxx)
    Why don't you suggest to your dad that the best way to get the puppy to learn not to wee in the house is to move the dog outside every time it has a wee in the house because that way it learns to go outside. That's what we did with ours.

So like rather than just telling him its wrong to hit the dog, if you show an alternative he might be more willing to do that and to listen to you.
    I do that. I take it outside straight away but as soon as he sees him weeing he hits him and then I dash to take him outside

ReputationRep:
    Aw.

ReputationRep:
    Hit him on the nose.

Failing that, just keep telling him it's wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I do that. I take it outside straight away but as soon as he sees him weeing he hits him and then I dash to take him outside
    Hmm other than that I can't really suggest anything else.

You could try keeping the puppy close to you until its properly house trained so then if it does anything you can clean it up without your dad seeing. Also try to make sure you get the puppy in a routine so it knows when its going to go on a walk and when it can use the toilet.

You can get puppy training mats you can put in the house too. They're kinda like nappies but you put them on the floor and you can put newspaper underneath so that it doesn't go through onto the floor. If you put them next to the door, it teaches the dog a bit more about where the toilet is.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah don't let your dad hit the dog. It's only a puppy so it will learn, just tell your dad to be patient.

What you need to do is take your dog out every hour or so and when it has a wee or poo you give it a treat and praise it. If it does it inside, obviously don't reward it and firmly say no. Doesn't happen over night, give it time.

ReputationRep:
    print out some stuff on toilet training puppies and give it to your dad, he might accept it better.

ReputationRep:
    Call the rspca for cruelty to animals.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whenever your dad does this, hit him on the nose and then take the puppy outside.
    They'll both learn soon enough

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who used to put mustard on their cats nose, but that was for fun...

Edit: No-one neg the OP for knowing someone mean. So, why neg me?

ReputationRep:
    If I saw him doing that I would quite happily punch your Dad on the nose.

ReputationRep:
    You don't want to hit the puppy on the nose but tap it in an agressive way. The point isn't to hurt the puppy. But it's a way of shocking the puppy. At the same time you want to firmly say no, and then ignore the puppy for 5-10 minutes.

Do not punish the puppy for weeing inside the house unless the puppy is doing it in front of you. If you punish the puppy for weeing 5 minutes ago, it'll just be being punished for something it doesn't know.
    It needs to be immediate.

Also, take the puppy outside often, every time it does it's business, give it a treat.
    If the puppy starts to wee, tell it off and put it outside.
    Then fuss it when it comes back in but don't give it a treat.

Also get wee pads. When it wee's inside but on the pads, then it's taken a good step forward. Once it's mastered that put the wee pads next to the door.

After a week put the wee pads just outside of the door. Once the puppy is used to that, it'll start to stop weeing in the house at all. It'll still have a few issues of course. And the smarter the puppy the faster it'll learn. But if the puppy is a bit...challenged, it'll take a while. So you need to be patient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    You don't want to hit the puppy on the nose but tap it in an agressive way. The point isn't to hurt the puppy. But it's a way of shocking the puppy. At the same time you want to firmly say no, and then ignore the puppy for 5-10 minutes.

Do not punish the puppy for weeing inside the house unless the puppy is doing it in front of you. If you punish the puppy for weeing 5 minutes ago, it'll just be being punished for something it doesn't know.
    When do you plan on becoming part of the 21st century?

It is never acceptable to hit an animal, no matter how hard. Pup needs to be supervised and taken out every 30 minutes to prevent accidents.

You cannot blame a pup for your mistake.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, you cannot reason with him. He sees you as beneath him. He MAY only listen to someone he sees as a peer, but chances are even if vets and experts told him, he would correct THEM too. Usually the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)

Also, take the puppy outside often, every time it does it's business, give it a treat.
    If the puppy starts to wee, tell it off and put it outside.
    Then fuss it when it comes back in but don't give it a treat.

Also get wee pads. When it wee's inside but on the pads, then it's taken a good step forward. Once it's mastered that put the wee pads next to the door.

After a week put the wee pads just outside of the door. Once the puppy is used to that, it'll start to stop weeing in the house at all. It'll still have a few issues of course. And the smarter the puppy the faster it'll learn. But if the puppy is a bit...challenged, it'll take a while. So you need to be patient.
    I completely agree with this, perhaps not the nose tapping. I used to tap my dog and it worked but she is a bit skittish so I find a very authoritative, deep-voiced shout usually works better (not at the top of your voice, but make it clear).
    Just keep repeating your concerns to your dad.....Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawsies)
    When do you plan on becoming part of the 21st century?

It is never acceptable to hit an animal, no matter how hard. Pup needs to be supervised and taken out every 30 minutes to prevent accidents.

You cannot blame a pup for your mistake.
    Becoming part of the 21st century? Tapping a puppy on the nose is perfectly acceptable, as is grabbing it by the scruff of its neck?!

Source: Parents both police dog handlers, Dad police dog instructor

ReputationRep:
    If you hit a dog you will ruin it's personality.

My dad hit our dog too, (wasn't my dad's fault, he was very ill at the time) and our dog was just vicious. You could pat him on the head but he wasn't that affectionate with people other than my dad.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.