I think I would like a career as a Massage Therapist or a Sports Massage Therapist Watch

This discussion is closed.
Hopsin rapper
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have never been so sure on what I want to do for a career. I have always wanted to do something involving sport though as this is probably my only hobby. The problem is that a lot of jobs in sport are not well paid and I don't think there are that many opportunities around. One of the few jobs that I think is fairly well paid and at the same time sounds like something I would enjoy would be Sports Therapy.

I am going to University this year to study BSc (Hons) Sports Development at Portsmouth Uni. The course is broken down into 4 main parts:
Sport in society (Sports Policy and Funding, Sports Provision, Professional Practice in Sports Education)
Sports coaching
Sports management and business (Strategic Planning in Sport, Professional Practice in Sports Marketing, Events Management in Sport)
Sport and exercise science (Sports Psychology, Fitness Training and Assessment, Skill Acquisition and Performance)

I have only recently really started considering a career in Massage Therapy and i am particularly interested in the SPORTS massage therapy side of it. However I don't know how well suited my University degree is for this career. I also never studied biology at A Level either which may make it even more tricky. Do you reckon I would be able to go down this career path with this degree and without even doing A Level biology? And is there demand in this field?
Hopsin rapper
Rep:
?
Bump
Ironmike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hopsin rapper)
I have never been so sure on what I want to do for a career. I have always wanted to do something involving sport though as this is probably my only hobby. The problem is that a lot of jobs in sport are not well paid and I don't think there are that many opportunities around. One of the few jobs that I think is fairly well paid and at the same time sounds like something I would enjoy would be Sports Therapy.

I am going to University this year to study BSc (Hons) Sports Development at Portsmouth Uni. The course is broken down into 4 main parts:
Sport in society (Sports Policy and Funding, Sports Provision, Professional Practice in Sports Education)
Sports coaching
Sports management and business (Strategic Planning in Sport, Professional Practice in Sports Marketing, Events Management in Sport)
Sport and exercise science (Sports Psychology, Fitness Training and Assessment, Skill Acquisition and Performance)

I have only recently really started considering a career in Massage Therapy and i am particularly interested in the SPORTS massage therapy side of it. However I don't know how well suited my University degree is for this career. I also never studied biology at A Level either which may make it even more tricky. Do you reckon I would be able to go down this career path with this degree and without even doing A Level biology? And is there demand in this field?
If you know that you want to be a sports therapist/masseuse then why are you going to spend 3 years studying another subject?

I am a physio and have done sports massage courses ontop of that. To become a sports masseuse for me was a case of doing an accelerated 8 day course to become an ITEC level 3 therapist. For someone who doesn't have a related degree or knowledge, it will be a bit different. The London school of sports massage is highly regarded, but I believe their course takes a year and costs a fair bit. I'm sure you could probably have a google around for sports massage courses and find a fair few that would suit you. Premier fitness do a 3 month course that gives you personal trainer and sports massage qualifications - again not cheap, think it's about 2.5k.

You won't need A level biology to be a massage therapist. The exam I did was really easy - multiple choice on massage techniques, muscle names etc and then a practical. Don't worry about not having a science A level.

Demand wise - there is demand for good therapists if you look in the right place. The private clinic I work at recruits a couple of people a year I would say, and they will be recruiting one more as I am off next month. It is good money - I earn 30 quid an hour, and it is a busy practice. Infact, I would earn more as a massage therapist than a junior physio, but it's not what I want to do forever.

This brings me onto the final point. I don't think that anyone can be a sports masseuse forever. I would think very carefully about doing this as a long term job. Put it this way, if you are busy, your body takes a beating. I have just done two weeks at the clinic doing 40 hours of mostly massage, and I have an injury to my elbow and my knuckles and fingers are in bits. I worked in professional rugby for two years whilst at uni and spending just one afternoon a week with those guys for a few months at a time left me in bits.

As for sports therapy - someone posted up a really useful insight on here not long ago. I can't remember the thread, but it was a debate about physio or sports therapy. Maybe have a search. I'll see if I can find it. The big thing with sports therapy at the moment is that it isn't a regulated and protected profession. This means in essence that right now with no skills at all you could call yourself a sports therapist. Physiotherapist is a protected title and as such holds a higher degree of recognition. Currently, it would appear that it is far harder to gain employment as a sports therapist than as a physio, and I think until they gain professional recognition, this is likely to remain the case. The fellow in question from the other thread was just about to start studying for an Msc in physiotherapy I believe as he was becoming fed up with the situation.

Hope some of that helps.
Ironmike
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Found it for you:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...age=90&page=90

Have a look at the post by MicheST a little way down. He is a sports therapist.
Hopsin rapper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ironmike)
If you know that you want to be a sports therapist/masseuse then why are you going to spend 3 years studying another subject?

I am a physio and have done sports massage courses ontop of that. To become a sports masseuse for me was a case of doing an accelerated 8 day course to become an ITEC level 3 therapist. For someone who doesn't have a related degree or knowledge, it will be a bit different. The London school of sports massage is highly regarded, but I believe their course takes a year and costs a fair bit. I'm sure you could probably have a google around for sports massage courses and find a fair few that would suit you. Premier fitness do a 3 month course that gives you personal trainer and sports massage qualifications - again not cheap, think it's about 2.5k.

You won't need A level biology to be a massage therapist. The exam I did was really easy - multiple choice on massage techniques, muscle names etc and then a practical. Don't worry about not having a science A level.

Demand wise - there is demand for good therapists if you look in the right place. The private clinic I work at recruits a couple of people a year I would say, and they will be recruiting one more as I am off next month. It is good money - I earn 30 quid an hour, and it is a busy practice. Infact, I would earn more as a massage therapist than a junior physio, but it's not what I want to do forever.

This brings me onto the final point. I don't think that anyone can be a sports masseuse forever. I would think very carefully about doing this as a long term job. Put it this way, if you are busy, your body takes a beating. I have just done two weeks at the clinic doing 40 hours of mostly massage, and I have an injury to my elbow and my knuckles and fingers are in bits. I worked in professional rugby for two years whilst at uni and spending just one afternoon a week with those guys for a few months at a time left me in bits.

As for sports therapy - someone posted up a really useful insight on here not long ago. I can't remember the thread, but it was a debate about physio or sports therapy. Maybe have a search. I'll see if I can find it. The big thing with sports therapy at the moment is that it isn't a regulated and protected profession. This means in essence that right now with no skills at all you could call yourself a sports therapist. Physiotherapist is a protected title and as such holds a higher degree of recognition. Currently, it would appear that it is far harder to gain employment as a sports therapist than as a physio, and I think until they gain professional recognition, this is likely to remain the case. The fellow in question from the other thread was just about to start studying for an Msc in physiotherapy I believe as he was becoming fed up with the situation.

Hope some of that helps.
I have only just recently started considering it in the last month or so, however I applied for University over a year ago now (i am on a gap year so I am a year above the current second year students at college).

I am really strongly considering it now. Even though the course does seem expensive, it is cheaper than 3 years at University! Plus the job prospects are good and would probably lead to me making more money than I would if I were to do a Sports Development degree at Uni (without the debt included as well). It is a really big decision though because if I really feel I do want to do it, then I would need to cancel everything with Portsmouth University (already applied, been accepted, filled in student finance, applied for halls etc already).

As for the sports therapy vs physiotherapy - I will try and find the thread. I am pretty sure I would need Biology at A Level to do physiotherapy though so that is almost out of the question unless I were to go back and do it.

And yes that has helped. Thanks very much!
Ironmike
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have only just recently started considering it in the last month or so, however I applied for University over a year ago now (i am on a gap year so I am a year above the current second year students at college).

I am really strongly considering it now. Even though the course does seem expensive, it is cheaper than 3 years at University! Plus the job prospects are good and would probably lead to me making more money than I would if I were to do a Sports Development degree at Uni (without the debt included as well). It is a really big decision though because if I really feel I do want to do it, then I would need to cancel everything with Portsmouth University (already applied, been accepted, filled in student finance, applied for halls etc already).

As for the sports therapy vs physiotherapy - I will try and find the thread. I am pretty sure I would need Biology at A Level to do physiotherapy though so that is almost out of the question unless I were to go back and do it.

And yes that has helped. Thanks very much!
I found the thread for you - put the link under my original message above and pointed you to the post by MicheST.

To get into physio with no previous degree yes you would need a B at Biology A level, or an access to science course. I would generally speaking advise you to get a degree, even if it is in something you are not all that interested in. This is because having a degree opens up some doors that would otherwise have been shut. I think you are correct in your assessment that the degree you are currently considering is perhaps not going to lead to the greatest employment opportunities. Can you pull out and apply for sports therapy this coming cycle? I'm assuming you are young still - 19/20 years old? I went back to uni the second time at 31, so you have plenty of time to have another year out, do a massage qualification in the meantime, get some work doing that and apply to sports therapy as you are going all that.
camillallves1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Sports coaching

Massage Therapist is a good career choice especially when you have really interested in it. You can also get certification online for the same.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (58)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (19)
21.84%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.49%

Watched Threads