Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I applied for a job that I'm absolutely desperate for. The employer's would be a division at my current university.

I've received an e-mail today saying that I've been shortlisted for interview.
    They say that all interviews will take place on one day. Unfortunately, that day I have an important exam (all day) and would not be able to make any of the timeslots allocated.

I've e-mailed very politely explaining the situation and if I could be interviewed another day.
    So far, no response.

I was just wondering what my rights were/do they HAVE to find me another slot or can the refuse to interview me at another time.
    I'm probably just being paranoid but I want this job so badly and I'm worried that something beyond my control will ruin my chances.

thanks for any advice.

ReputationRep:
    They don't HAVE to do anything.

They MAY, at their discretion, offer you another date though. I suppose it depends on the strength of your CV.

Best of luck though!

ReputationRep:
    They don't have to offer another date, although having an exam is a perfectly valid excuse for not being available, and especially with them being a university it's likely that they would offer another date.

I once had a lecturer tell us that if an exam clashed with an interview then we would just have to decide which is more important out of the two. Hopefully it won't come to that in your case.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by sundogs)
    Hello,

I applied for a job that I'm absolutely desperate for. The employer's would be a division at my current university.

I've received an e-mail today saying that I've been shortlisted for interview.
    They say that all interviews will take place on one day. Unfortunately, that day I have an important exam (all day) and would not be able to make any of the timeslots allocated.

I've e-mailed very politely explaining the situation and if I could be interviewed another day.
    So far, no response.

I was just wondering what my rights were/do they HAVE to find me another slot or can the refuse to interview me at another time.
    I'm probably just being paranoid but I want this job so badly and I'm worried that something beyond my control will ruin my chances.

thanks for any advice.
    This isn't a situation where 'rights' are relevant. They are offering a date, if you can't make it, it is entirely up to them if they offer you another date. For most universities they will be required by HR to have 3 people on an interview panel, and they ought to have the same panel for everyone they interview for a specific job. So by offering you an alternative date, they have to get the same 3 staff and a room organised, and the other candidates (usually 5-6 in total, so 4-5 other people) will have to wait to hear the results until after your interview. So unless at the paperwork stage you were their top candidate, chances are they will take their chances finding the one for the job out of the 4-5 that can make the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    This isn't a situation where 'rights' are relevant. They are offering a date, if you can't make it, it is entirely up to them if they offer you another date. For most universities they will be required by HR to have 3 people on an interview panel, and they ought to have the same panel for everyone they interview for a specific job. So by offering you an alternative date, they have to get the same 3 staff and a room organised, and the other candidates (usually 5-6 in total, so 4-5 other people) will have to wait to hear the results until after your interview. So unless at the paperwork stage you were their top candidate, chances are they will take their chances finding the one for the job out of the 4-5 that can make the day.

Thanks for getting back to me.
    Update - they offered me a reschedule after my exam finishes (5pm). Very happy
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by sundogs)
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    Update - they offered me a reschedule after my exam finishes (5pm). Very happy
    Take confidence from that, it means you are properly competitive (they are prepared to stay late to see you!)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.