Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey people,

I'm 23 now and I've decided this year to return to education and achieve a degree in something. I regret dropping out when I was 16, since all I really did was work in retail and then get an apprenticeship in a semi-skilled discipline. I feel like I am capable of much more.

Problem is deciding which degree to do. You see, English was my best subject at school, and I did think of doing English Language or Literature, but I deem that my employment prospects wouldn't be all that great if I did. People often say that you should choose a course that you would enjoy, but tbh just the general prospect of working towards achieving something has become enjoyable for me. Basically, what I'm saying is, I could find any course interesting if I felt that I was making a good investment.

I'm aware that a few of the courses will be out of my league at this point. Studying Law and Medicine might be unrealistic. However, I've thought of being a Chemist or working with computers. I really don't know. Does anyone here know about employability prospects after reading certain degrees?

Any help would be massively appreciated. And also to hear anyone else's story.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I think a good starting point would be to log into your nearest or preferred Uni's undergraduate home page, or ask for a prospectus to be sent to you. The information pages tell you not only what you will be studying on the course, but will also say what sort of career options you can pursue with that particular degree.
    For now, I think the route into Uni is going to be what to concentrate on, as you have been out of education for 8 years, you will most likely need to 'update' your qualifications to be considered for entry. A good way to do this is to approach your local college and ask what Access/routes to University courses they offer.
    Be open minded and prepared to change your mind about why you want to study at uni and what course you want to apply for. Are you doing it to improve your career prospects or for the sake of achieving or for fun - or a mixture.
    I too done well at English at Secondary school because I enjoyed itl, and wanted to study Business admin( field I had worked in and enjoyed) I was advised to do an HNC course then transfer to Uni. But, I ended up applying for a place on a one year Access to Arts and Social Sciences course. The course manager failed to see how it was relevant to Business, but I pointed out that for the likes of HR a degree in a social science is very relevant. Anyway, I got the place, part time. I have now got conditional offers for Degree courses in Law and also Social Policy - neither of which I thought I was interested in or would enjoy. My particular Access course covered English Lit, History, Philosophy, Psychlogy, Film Sudies, Political Theory, Sociology, Social Policy and Maths and study skills in the first semester, then I got to choose 2 subjects to study in depth and those two are the exams I will be sitting next month. I know F/T is different, but see what works for you. I found I really did not enjoy the English Lit lectures or titorials, and loved Social Policy, Philosophy, History and Film Studies.
    BTW - I left school 24 years ago with 1 O Level and had not a clue about options available until I went to speak to the Student office at the local college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by micim1)
    Hi! I think a good starting point would be to log into your nearest or preferred Uni's undergraduate home page, or ask for a prospectus to be sent to you. The information pages tell you not only what you will be studying on the course, but will also say what sort of career options you can pursue with that particular degree.
    For now, I think the route into Uni is going to be what to concentrate on, as you have been out of education for 8 years, you will most likely need to 'update' your qualifications to be considered for entry. A good way to do this is to approach your local college and ask what Access/routes to University courses they offer.
    Be open minded and prepared to change your mind about why you want to study at uni and what course you want to apply for. Are you doing it to improve your career prospects or for the sake of achieving or for fun - or a mixture.
    I too done well at English at Secondary school because I enjoyed itl, and wanted to study Business admin( field I had worked in and enjoyed) I was advised to do an HNC course then transfer to Uni. But, I ended up applying for a place on a one year Access to Arts and Social Sciences course. The course manager failed to see how it was relevant to Business, but I pointed out that for the likes of HR a degree in a social science is very relevant. Anyway, I got the place, part time. I have now got conditional offers for Degree courses in Law and also Social Policy - neither of which I thought I was interested in or would enjoy. My particular Access course covered English Lit, History, Philosophy, Psychlogy, Film Sudies, Political Theory, Sociology, Social Policy and Maths and study skills in the first semester, then I got to choose 2 subjects to study in depth and those two are the exams I will be sitting next month. I know F/T is different, but see what works for you. I found I really did not enjoy the English Lit lectures or titorials, and loved Social Policy, Philosophy, History and Film Studies.
    BTW - I left school 24 years ago with 1 O Level and had not a clue about options available until I went to speak to the Student office at the local college.
    Hey thanks for the reply.

Yeah I would need to do an Access course first. I've already applied for several different courses at several different colleges. I think I've ticked boxes for Engineering, Humanities and Social Sciences, Health and Sciences so far. I think that would cover alot of degrees. I've got some thinking to do before I make an actual, final decision.

As for my motives for going to Uni. Yes I want to find a way to balance having a good social life at Uni with coming out with a very good degree like a 2:1 in a subject that has good employment prospects. I'm hoping there's a way to have the best of both worlds. On the plus side, I wouldn't take much pleasing with the social side of things, since my social life at the moment is pretty dire, lol.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.