Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

Hope you can answer my question: My uni course is 34 weeks long and Ive heard the norm is 30 weeks, are we entitled to a bigger loan to reflect this or is the loan fixed no matter how long your course is?

Thanks!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Philemon,

If your application is based on household income then yes you'll be given an extra amount for the additional weeks of study.

The extra amount will show on the breakdown of your maintenance loan on your entitlement letter when you receive it.

Hope this helps,
    Mark-Lee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    Hi Philemon,

If your application is based on household income then yes you'll be given an extra amount for the additional weeks of study.

The extra amount will show on the breakdown of your maintenance loan on your entitlement letter when you receive it.

Hope this helps,
    Mark-Lee
    Thanks for your answer.

I am not sure if my application is based on household income as I am a mature student over 25 (living alone). I recieve the maximum maintenance loan.

I cant see anything on my breakdown about an extra amount, would it just be incorporated in the total amount?
    Im hoping it has been added as it would create less fuzz than trying to chase it up, but I dont really have a way of checking as I dont know what the 'normal' loan for 30 weeks is.

Again, thanks!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi again Philemon,

As an independent student (over 25 years) you should definitely request to be income assessed for a maintenance grant award and if you're successful the extra weeks funding will be added to your loan too.

If you haven't originally applied for the maintenance grant you can do so by completing and returning this short form to us: http://bit.ly/153wcH9

Thanks!
    Mark-Lee

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.