Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR AS Chemistry F322 Difference between Isomerisation and Refining watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I came across a past paper asking the following question

"Explain why,in industry,alkanes such as octane are processed by Isomeristaion"

I haven't yet come across this term is it just the same as Refining? because i have Googled the definitions of each term and different explanations come up

Any help would be much appreciated
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Jake.bell)
    Hi

I came across a past paper asking the following question

"Explain why,in industry,alkanes such as octane are processed by Isomeristaion"

I haven't yet come across this term is it just the same as Refining? because i have Googled the definitions of each term and different explanations come up

Any help would be much appreciated
    Branching makes useful compounds. For example 2,2,4-trimethylpentane is the major constituent of petrol ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Branching makes useful compounds. For example 2,2,4-trimethylpentane is the major constituent of petrol ...
    Yes but what is the difference between Isomerisation and refining?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Jake.bell)
    Yes but what is the difference between Isomerisation and refining?
    This would represent isomerisation.

Refining (I would suggest) means separating the crude into different fractions and then further purifying and/or carrying out other refining procedures, such as hydroformation, cracking and isomerisation.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.