Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a problem.

So I broke up with my ex at the end of last year. I didn't feel the relationship was healthy- he wanted to talk every day which was ok at first, but these conversations would be hours long.If i went out with friends, he'd want to skype when I got back or would call me while I was out. Our unis were far apart but we made the effort to see each other every 2 weeks for a few days at a time. Being at Uni this was pretty hard to keep up with, but if I didn't, he would get upset and tell me I didn't care. It started to really stress me out and I was feeling guilty all the time.
    Finally after one night of him getting angry because the goodnght text i sent him wasn't long enough, I rang him up and told him it was over. I was angry and it was admittedly a bit brash, but I had decided I just couldn't take any more.

This didn't go down well. After 2 weeks, he finally agreed to break up. However I continued to get angry messages which really hurt me, but that I probably deserved. I am now seeing someone else and much happier, but I do miss my ex a lot as a friend as we were very close and shared the same sort of humour.

So heres the question- would it be a bad idea to contact him again to see if we can make it work as friends? Would this be more hurtful for him than beneficial? And would it be really difficult for the guy I'm seeing now to handle?

so confused
    Any help greatly appreciated, and thanks for reading the long post!

ReputationRep:
    Hurtful more than beneficial even though your intentions are clearly nice. He'll probably be confused as to why you're talking to him.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.