Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    In my student finance application my dad put down the wrong amount for "amount of taxable state benefits", putting down £0. We received a letter from SFE asking for evidence on Saturday so we requested from the DWP his financial info which we received today. It said that the taxable benefits was actually around £5000- the error was because he didn't know the benefit in particular was taxable so he put down £0. It was just a simple clerical error that he didn't mean to make.

We are sending off the evidence SFE requested but as for the error, would it be alright if we included a note explaining the error and noting down the corrections? Also, will the note be taken into account and corrections made to my application without it affecting the level of finance I am eligible to receive?

I'm pretty worried about this so I'd just like to know if it will be alright for my application and not hurt me in any way.

Thanks in advance!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Bpool,

Firstly sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Yes your Dad should pop a note in with his evidence to explain the mistake and don't worry it's an easy mistake to make.

The amount of maintenance grant that you'll be entitled to is directly linked to how high or low your household income is. If it's under 25k with the additional £5000 then your entitlement won't change but if it's over this then your grant amount may change a little.

Hope this helps,
    Mark-Lee

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm having a few problems with my application. On the declaration letter (which I read online because it's not arrived yet) it said I was at present only eligible for the £3575 Maintenance Loan and doesn't mention anything about grants. It says on the bottom of the front page that the next step is "HMRC Sponsor 1 Variance Exception Returned". I assume this is something to do with the fact that my evidence was wrong at first so I had to send in some evidence to correct it.

However, I don't know what the problem is or what to do. I sent the evidence on the 17th and the declaration is dated the 24th- so I don't know whether it arrived, or was processsed or whatever. I'm kinda worrying here because I need this grant money to actually attend university- my parents can't afford to support me at all. So, seeing as I've already sent the evidence that they want (although would it be the right evidence, I don't know) but they're not allowing me grant money, what do I do now?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Bpool,

Financial evidence takes around 3 weeks to be processed from the date we receive it so although we had it on 24th it was sitting in a queue waiting to be worked on.

You should sign and return the declaration (you're only agreeing to the terms and conditions of the loan part of your finance) and once you're parents evidence has been worked we'll send you an updated entitlement letter.

Thanks,
    Mark-Lee

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.