Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi everyone,
    I'm an italian student planning to come to uk for a post grad in drug discovery/chemistry. The first question coming to my mind while checking programes out is: what is the main difference between msc and mres?

Considering I'm totally new to your system, I was wondering that If a PhD is not in my plans, which one is better? i'd like to take a mres cause there's more "lab life", but it'd be useful when i'll be looking for a job or it would be better a msc (always considering i don't want to take a PhD, but looking for a job as soon as i'll get it)?!!!

And then which uni would u suggest: leeds, liverpool or manchester?

MSc tends to be a 'taught' course. You choose lecturers, peruse reading list, write essays, do team based projects, sit exams and complete a dissertation of your chosen subject. You get more guidance from lecturers though your degree and there is more structure.

MRes is a degree by Research, more theoretical and requires generally more independence and idea of the direction of research. It is better suited as advanced study for a PhD thesis. If you have a clear idea of your research interest and PhD goals, MRes is better. The MRes dissertation is longer and you do more independent work in lib or lab. Manchester has a respected biochem department and should have more funding opps.

Note: When choosing a MRes programme, you need to ensure that its focus fits with your research interest. Good luck.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.