Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hello, I’ve been reading this forum for a while now but this is my first actual post.

I’m 25 and am currently studying, as an independent candidate, A2 level Geography and Psychology and completed A2 Economics in January. (The main reason I chose A-levels over an Access course because I live in the middle of nowhere, and the nearest college offering an Access Course was 25 miles away and impossible to reach by public transport) My plan has always been to apply through clearing in August (once results are out) to start uni in September, basically because I had no results to show before the deadline in January and therefore nothing to show my ability to unis.

The problem I have now is that having thought about things over the last few months, I have decided that what I really want to study at uni is at least one modern language. During my previous attempt at A-levels (scraped D and E grades at AS in 2005, got told to leave the college for basically doing no work for about 3 months before sitting my A2 exams in 2006) I studied French and German (the problem wasn’t with the subjects- a combination of physical health problems I’ve now got sorted, and pretty bad home situation- parents getting divorced at that time etc) and in 2004 I got A* and A at French and German GCSE (along with seven other subjects including Maths and English at grades C or above).

There are a few unis where in theory it is possible to study a language without a language A-level, for example Aberdeen, Dundee, Kent, a few others

However, in practice, even if they don’t specifically require a language qualification, are they actually going to allow someone without language qualifications (apart from GCSE and very poor AS-levels from a long time ago) entry there? I’m also assuming that due to the unusual nature of it (applying through clearing, mature student who now lives in Scotland studying A-levels, applying to do a type of subject I haven’t studied for more than 7 years) I’ll be asked to interview. Would there be time to do this between A-level results day and the start of uni inductions?

Basically, am I being unrealistic or will I need to wait another year before applying to do languages (if I do that I would probably do A-level French in the meantime), or apply to do a different subject this year?

Thanks to anyone whose reached the end of this long, rambling post and for any replies.
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    If unis say you don't need a language at A Level then you don't need a language at A Level. They will also see that you're self studying, and that it would be difficult to complete a language A Level on your own.

However, courses are not guaranteed to be in Clearing. You might be better to apply now as a late applicant - some courses will still be accepting applications - and you also have Clearing to fall back on if you don't get anything at this stage. You have now received your January results so can show these on your application. There will also be more time for them to interview if they want to, although unis will offer phone or Skype interviews as an alternative in Clearing anyway.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.