Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to apply for Philosophy (14/15) after dropping out of Psychology at Bath as I'm really not enjoying the subject, so I've got a couple of questions:

1. In terms of risk (and assuming a pretty good personal statement), are the more prestigious unis (Bristol, Oxford, Warwick etc.) incredibly oversubscribed in terms of applicants to places, so likely to pass me over?

I'm no stranger to ridiculous ratios, but it's hard to make sense of statistics. For example, psychology would have a lot of "dud" offers from people who were very unlikely to get in anyway, so the 18:1 became a lot less scary. My grades are A*AAA in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Ancient History for A2 and a B in English AS, if this helps.

2. Is there much that can be considered "work experience" relative to philosophy? I can't think of anything but helping out in departments. If not, are there any alternatives to show/prove my enthusiasm?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I think the key with Philosophy is showing that you have a 'philosophical mind'. If you can show that you engage with some of the big problems like free will, personal identity, scepticism etc. then you should be fine. I don't think you can really do any work experience. It may be worth doing some reading of well known people though.
    I hope this is helpful!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.