Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cheated on boyfriend, want to break up, really bad timing. HELP!? Watch

To get to the point, I cheated on my boyfriend and I feel really guilty and want to break up with him. This is amongst other reasons (e.g he is really keen for us to move in as soon as we finish university and I'm not ready for that sort of commitment, the long distance relationship is really taking its toll, I feel like I want some time of my own and I've had doubts and near break-ups with him in the past).

The problem is he has exams next week and and then a load more in June, and we're supposed to be going on holiday with his parents in July.

As much as I want to tell him I cheated to ease my guilt, I think this is just me being selfish and wanting to make the break up easier on my part, as I know he is still madly in love with me. If I wasn't going to break up I would definitely tell him but I think doing so will only add more unnecessary upset on his part, trust issues etc

I feel like I should just hold out until after the holiday and break up then but doing so is making me feel sick every time I speak to him or think about it.

Any advice? Wait it out? Do it now? (please don't tell me I shouldn't have cheated, I know this, I completely regret it and feel like the worst person right now)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Wait until after his exams next week then tell him. And tell him you cheated - it's awful not to because he'll be wondering what he did wrong, and he may find it easier to move on if he knows you already cheated.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    To get to the point, I cheated on my boyfriend and I feel really guilty and want to break up with him. This is amongst other reasons (e.g he is really keen for us to move in as soon as we finish university and I'm not ready for that sort of commitment, the long distance relationship is really taking its toll, I feel like I want some time of my own and I've had doubts and near break-ups with him in the past).

The problem is he has exams next week and and then a load more in June, and we're supposed to be going on holiday with his parents in July.

As much as I want to tell him I cheated to ease my guilt, I think this is just me being selfish and wanting to make the break up easier on my part, as I know he is still madly in love with me. If I wasn't going to break up I would definitely tell him but I think doing so will only add more unnecessary upset on his part, trust issues etc

I feel like I should just hold out until after the holiday and break up then but doing so is making me feel sick every time I speak to him or think about it.

Any advice? Wait it out? Do it now? (please don't tell me I shouldn't have cheated, I know this, I completely regret it and feel like the worst person right now)

Thanks
    You clearly don't love him, I would do it ASAP because there is no point staying with him if you are not happy and you are going to cheat on him like that, totally unfair on him, let him go so he can find someone else.

ReputationRep:
    Sloots gonna sloot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    You clearly don't love him, I would do it ASAP because there is no point staying with him if you are not happy and you are going to cheat on him like that, totally unfair on him, let him go so he can find someone else.
    You mad? The guy has got exams.....let him focus on those for now.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by PrincePauper)
    You mad? The guy has got exams.....let him focus on those for now.
    That's why I said soon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Do it now, even for your own sake, you'll look a hell of a lot worse if you wait

ReputationRep:
    And they say men cheat. Poor by you.

ReputationRep:
    I suggest this great fix, It's called getting a padlock for your pussy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Thanks

Wait until after his exams next week, purely because if you broke up with him now then it might really have an effect on how he does in the exams.
    Then, by the time he gets to his exams in June he would of had over a month and it shouldn't have so much of an effect on how well he does.
    The worst thing would be if you did stay with him, and then he found out that you cheated on him and have been thinking about breaking up with him for ages. You can't drag it out, but just wait until after his exams next week

ReputationRep:
    Well that was stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Break up with him as soon as possible. He deserves someone better than you.

ReputationRep:
    You *******.

Absolute, ****.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to break up. Just break up. Don't add insult to injury by saying you cheated on him too...

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely wait until his exams are over. In terms of the holiday, if it is easy for you to drop out then fair enough. But if they lose some kind of deposit because you don't go then I would offer to pay up, as it's kind of a result of your own actions.

ReputationRep:
    Break up with him after his exams maybe? Don't have to tell him you cheated though, be much easier for both of you

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    You've already shown a complete lack of respect towards your boyfriend by betraying his trust in you. Not breaking up with him before his exams, because you think it is the right thing, is insignificant compared to what you have already done.

Perhaps you should of used that train of thought while you were sleeping with someone else.

The best thing to do is tell your boyfriend, tell him everything.

Edit: Not telling him you cheated on him will make him think it's his fault. You have to live with the consequences. It would be better for you both if you told him why you are breaking up with him.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you finally get to the stage where you're ready to commit and then your husband ****s 9001 prostitutes in your bed; and whilst he's doing this, he looks into your eyes and mouths "it's over"

TELL HIM AFTER HIS EXAMS. HIS FUTURE SHOULDN'T SUFFER BECAUSE OF YOUR INFIDELITY.

Firstly, if you were meant to go on this holiday, you should repay any amount that they covered; regardless of whether they tell you it's okay or not. Secondly, end it - not because you're 'guilt ridden' but because he deserves much more than you. You don't have the right to decide whether he should know or not, so tell him and face the consequences of your own actions. Sit there, answer any questions he may have and drown in your idiocy.

Finally, evaluate yourself. You did a terrible thing to a person who loved you because you didn't want to commit. You could have just told him and you both could have moved on. You deserve your guilt and more.

ReputationRep:
    My goodness, people on here are so judgemental.

Break up with him after his exams next week. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    After this week's exams. Otherwise there will be something else, then something else again ... you won't even be able to break up with him after the holiday because then it will look like you dragged it out just to bum a holiday out of him.

Alternatively if the exams are early June you could maybe drag it out till then. If late June I'd grasp the nettle now. Be prepared to settle any debt you have on the holiday, if you can stretch to it and it hasn't been paid for yet it might be a nice gesture to pay for his ticket as in "have a break on me"

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.