The Student Room Group

Acne - what can I do

I used to have bad acne as a teenager and went on Roaccutane. Things improved, and over time I've had occasional break outs.

Lately I've been getting some pretty bad ones. I have one on my chin right now, and it refuses to go away. It's really big and it's deep under the skin (and seems to never grow properly out). It's painful and there is literarly no way of covering it up.
I've also had some mini pimples on my chest which almost reminds of a rash.

i absolutely hate this and don't know why I am cursed with such bad skin. I eat super healthy - I'm on a diet before summer and have no sweets or junk food. I also have a very thorough skin regime, never ever sleep with makeup on and use a lotion against acne I got on prescription.
To sum it up, I pretty much do the right things to avoid to common causes of acne.

Now I'm starting to wonder whether I have some sort of hormone imbalance or something to cause this. Are there medical reasons which may be to blame?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Millie228
I used to have bad acne as a teenager and went on Roaccutane. Things improved, and over time I've had occasional break outs.

Lately I've been getting some pretty bad ones. I have one on my chin right now, and it refuses to go away. It's really big and it's deep under the skin (and seems to never grow properly out). It's painful and there is literarly no way of covering it up.

i absolutely hate this and don't know why I am cursed with such bad skin. I eat super healthy - I'm on a diet before summer and have no sweets or junk food. I also have a very thorough skin regime, never ever sleep with makeup on and use a lotion against acne I got on prescription.
To sum it up, I pretty much do the right things to avoid to common causes of acne.

Now I'm starting to wonder whether I have some sort of hormone imbalance or something to cause this. Are there medical reasons which may be to blame?

Could be a hormone imbalance. If you're really bothered I'd go back to your GP and talk to them about it. Make sure you drink LOTS of water every day. That's the key to healthy skin; water.
Are you on the pill? Sometimes that can help with severe acne.
From what you're saying you do pretty much everything, the only things I would suggest are applying honey overnight to the spots, it helps draw them out, and cleaning your face with witch-hazel in the mornings and at night, it's very good but does dry your skin out a lot, so you have to moisturise. :smile:
Reply 3
It will take time for your healthy food regime to kick in. You didn't really state when you started it but I'm assuming a few weeks ago for summer! It will take longer to see the effects. But water is the key! I used to be on roaccuatane, and I'm seeing a spot or two every now or then too! I'm just continuing with water, fruit and veg and hoping not to get any more spots!
Which medicine do you use? Benzoyl peroxide or tetralysal? I use these everyday and the effects take at least 6 months to start and can take like 5 years to go, but I have medium bad which was starting to get worse but now its much better, although I have alot on my forehead(which thank-god is covered by my hair) and on my chest and back (which is covered by clothes), so try ask your GP for these as they will have much more knowledge about the situation and your needs.

Also the food is complete rubbish, I asked my GP and he said it has nothing to do with food and he is a pretty reputable guy, I even NHS'd it and they said it has nothing to do with food just a horomone being produced too much ( I think testosterone)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
I've been prescribed dalacin topical t solution for a week now and it seems to be working :smile: ask your GP for it.
Reply 6
Remember to change your covers and pillow case often!
I drink a ton of water too and have been on antibiotics on and off too. I'm beginning to think mine's hormone imbalance too..go and see your GP and check
Reply 8
Food has nothing to do with it, acne is caused by bacteria infecting the hair follicles in the skin. You can get something like benzoyl peroxide from a pharmacy which will reduce the inflammation and kill the bacteria but it takes a few months to work and can cause redness for a while.
Reply 9
Original post by firewater
I've been prescribed dalacin topical t solution for a week now and it seems to be working :smile: ask your GP for it.

I've used this for 6 months now and it hasn't made much difference, although my acne is relatively mild so maybe that's why :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by suncake
I've used this for 6 months now and it hasn't made much difference, although my acne is relatively mild so maybe that's why :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

After about 4 days of usage, i noticed my spots were less 'bumpy' so they haven't completely faded away but they seem less red at least! Are you using any particular skin routine?
Reply 11
Original post by firewater
After about 4 days of usage, i noticed my spots were less 'bumpy' so they haven't completely faded away but they seem less red at least! Are you using any particular skin routine?

Oh well, I'm glad it works for you! :tongue: I just wash my face, apply dalacin-t, leave it for a bit, then apply moisturiser, morning and night.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I've heard acne can be genetic (both my parents had it so it would explain why I was struck down at 14, gutted!), but I'm not entirely sure. Either way, it's nasty and really gets you down. I don't know if you're on the pill or not, but when I started on it, I specifically mentioned that I was unhappy with the huge pustules that I always seemed to have on my face and back and she selected one based on skin problems. And what do you know? It worked absolute wonders. Took a good 6 months - 1 year to clear but blimey, I couldn't be without now.

If you're not wanting to go on the pill/are already on it, like a few have already mentioned in the thread: benzoyl peroxide. I used it before I started on the pill and it was the only thing that touched my acne. It is very harsh stuff and can really irritate your skin in the first few weeks. It also takes a good 6+ months to notice any real difference. It did work for me (I used the 10% gel, which is the strongest stuff, I recommend starting lower and building up! My skin was raw for a couple of weeks and was quite painful), I stopped using it when I thought I was safe and broke out again a couple of months later so I'm not sure if it can be stopped once you're using it. But yes, it's good at shifting the stuff. If you do opt for this, I can't recommend enough a good night moisturiser. A rich one that you use before bed (as it can be quite thick on the skin).

Good luck to you, going back to your GP can never hurt, they know what they're doing, but if you don't, then the stuff mentioned should help :smile:
Reply 13

Get a lemon, cut it in half and then apply the juice on the acne. Seriously, it works.

I used to have acne on my face, and my mother told me to try the lemon. I applied lemon every day for a week and a half and before you know it, my acne significantly reduced. After applying lemon to my face, I no longer have acne.

By using a lemon, you are saving time and money from getting useless prescriptions from doctors. Also a lemon is a fruit :biggrin:

Please +1 REP me, if you find this useful
Reply 14
Original post by po10tial
Get a lemon, cut it in half and then apply the juice on the acne. Seriously, it works.

I used to have acne on my face, and my mother told me to try the lemon. I applied lemon every day for a week and a half and before you know it, my acne significantly reduced. After applying lemon to my face, I no longer have acne.

By using a lemon, you are saving time and money from getting useless prescriptions from doctors. Also a lemon is a fruit :biggrin:

Please +1 REP me, if you find this useful

I have been washing my face with lemon occasionally for a while. It's quite acid, so I don't like to use it every day, but I do sometimes because I know it gets a lot of the gunk out. I have quite sensitive skin, it's combination type and prone to dryness as well, so I can't apply anything everywhere.
I might try it more often now though. I used a sunbed today, which I know it's not the best thing as I have pale skin, but it did help a bit.
Reply 15
I have been washing my face with lemon occasionally for a while. It's quite acid, so I don't like to use it every day, but I do sometimes because I know it gets a lot of the gunk out. I have quite sensitive skin, it's combination type and prone to dryness as well, so I can't apply anything everywhere.
I might try it more often now though. I used a sunbed today, which I know it's not the best thing as I have pale skin, but it did help a bit.

Try applying some toothpaste. Worked for a good friend of mine :wink:

Please +1 REP me, I have low REP lol
Reply 16
Original post by Andaxay
I've heard acne can be genetic (both my parents had it so it would explain why I was struck down at 14, gutted!), but I'm not entirely sure. Either way, it's nasty and really gets you down. I don't know if you're on the pill or not, but when I started on it, I specifically mentioned that I was unhappy with the huge pustules that I always seemed to have on my face and back and she selected one based on skin problems. And what do you know? It worked absolute wonders. Took a good 6 months - 1 year to clear but blimey, I couldn't be without now.

If you're not wanting to go on the pill/are already on it, like a few have already mentioned in the thread: benzoyl peroxide. I used it before I started on the pill and it was the only thing that touched my acne. It is very harsh stuff and can really irritate your skin in the first few weeks. It also takes a good 6+ months to notice any real difference. It did work for me (I used the 10% gel, which is the strongest stuff, I recommend starting lower and building up! My skin was raw for a couple of weeks and was quite painful), I stopped using it when I thought I was safe and broke out again a couple of months later so I'm not sure if it can be stopped once you're using it. But yes, it's good at shifting the stuff. If you do opt for this, I can't recommend enough a good night moisturiser. A rich one that you use before bed (as it can be quite thick on the skin).

Good luck to you, going back to your GP can never hurt, they know what they're doing, but if you don't, then the stuff mentioned should help :smile:

My acne is definitely genetic. Both my mum and sis had it for a very long time.
I've used the P-ring (don't like taking the pill, but it's essentially the same thing) on and off. I took it out recently as I'm not seeing the guy I was dating anymore...
I've used it pretty much since 17 (5 years). I've tried spotting the different in both skin and weight as a result of hormones - but I haven't really noticed anything. I know this is different from woman to woman.

Your issue sounds like mine. The first dermatologist told me it was because I hit puberty early (which I did), but then it was obvious to be hormone issues by my gynaecologist. He told me to see another dermatologist, who then told me that I have both hormone imbalances and mildly aggressive eczema.
At first the medical institute gave me cream with special chemicals. It worked for a short bit, but my acne worsened into daily bleeding and puss, and it left a mental scar (long story). Anyway, I was about to give up on it until a psychologist slash dermatologist told me to try herbal soap and NIVEA facial cream. It worked so effectively that I decided to abandon all the medication from the previous institute.

Ask your gynaecologist on what he/she thinks about it. Based on your story it will most likely be hormone imbalance. If you have pre-acne or sensitive skin, you could always try herbal stuff if you're at your witt's end! Not every herbal solution is fake :biggrin:

I use this stuff: http://www.aknicare.co.uk/

I had really bad acne at 17, and once I started using the Aknicare the spots gradually lessened and after about 8 months I was left with just the red marks (which faded within a year.) I actually still use it and never have any break-outs now.
Reply 19

Go back to your GP. They may be able to provide you with a new prescription of something.
Acne can be caused by high levels of testosterone which lead to the sebaceous glands producing excess sebum (oil). If the follicles are blocked with dead skin cells and the sebum can't get out to the surface, blackheads are formed. These can get infected by Propioniumbacterium acnes which causes the painful spots.
If you exfoliate gently twice a day this reduces the dead skin cells that block the follicles. However, this probably will not make a significant difference until you are on another treatment like roaccutane again, or antibiotics, possibly topical prescriptions.
I hope things start to improve for you soon.

Quick Reply

Latest