Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is my heart beating through my chest? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I had fallen asleep around 2:30pm (it's now 4:38pm) and I woke up around 10 minutes ago because I felt a funny feeling from my chest. I looked and it was making slow beating movements. I assumed it was my heart, but it's not where the heart is located, it's in the middle, around 15cm above my belly button. What is it and is it serious?

Literally a second after I wrote this, I felt a little uneasy again, and started breathing heavily for literally less than five seconds, so I'm beginning to think it is serious. But I'm home alone at the minute so I have no way of getting to the walk-in centre unless I wait for my parents to get home or ask a neighbour. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't beating 'through your chest' because you can't see it sticking out (I hope).

It is quite possible it was a muscle spasm in your abdomen area. If it happens again, I would see a doctor in case it can be prevented. I've had an ab-twitch before, it may just be this. I'm not sure why there was difficulty breathing, possibly some muscles involved in breathing were involved in the twitching.

If you are worried, see a doctor anyway

ReputationRep:
    It's probably heart palpitations.
    I get them sometimes, it's not much to worry about unless you get them all the time.

ReputationRep:
    It's normal to see your stomach moving with the pressure of your heart, especially when you are lying down. Your heart is right above and has a very strong force due to thick muscle. There's nothing wrong with you, it's the same for me.

If you're still worried go to the docs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    It isn't beating 'through your chest' because you can't see it sticking out (I hope).

It is quite possible it was a muscle spasm in your abdomen area. If it happens again, I would see a doctor in case it can be prevented. I've had an ab-twitch before, it may just be this. I'm not sure why there was difficulty breathing, possibly some muscles involved in breathing were involved in the twitching.

If you are worried, see a doctor anyway
    It was visibly beating through my chest, so yes I can see it sticking out. Thanks for the advice though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therisenmitten)
    I get them sometimes, it's not much to worry about unless you get them all the time.

Thanks for the reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GraceD)
    It's normal to see your stomach moving with the pressure of your heart, especially when you are lying down. Your heart is right above and has a very strong force due to thick muscle. There's nothing wrong with you, it's the same for me.

If you're still worried go to the docs.
    It's not my stomach. I can tell the difference between my stomach moving due to me breathing and a beating motion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe-ellis)
    I had fallen asleep around 2:30pm (it's now 4:38pm) and I woke up around 10 minutes ago because I felt a funny feeling from my chest. I looked and it was making slow beating movements. I assumed it was my heart, but it's not where the heart is located, it's in the middle, around 15cm above my belly button. What is it and is it serious?

Literally a second after I wrote this, I felt a little uneasy again, and started breathing heavily for literally less than five seconds, so I'm beginning to think it is serious. But I'm home alone at the minute so I have no way of getting to the walk-in centre unless I wait for my parents to get home or ask a neighbour. Thank you.
    Could you have picked up an alien parasite?

But on a serious note... have you tried phoning NHS Direct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therisenmitten)
    I assumed this not to be the case as OP said it was 'not where her heart is :dontknow: - depends where exactly the beating was felt.

ReputationRep:
    You're pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    I assumed this not to be the case as OP said it was 'not where her heart is :dontknow: - depends where exactly he beating was felt.
    Yeah, true.
    Some people just have a strong pulse that they can feel all around their body. Sometimes when I can't sleep at night I can hear my pulse in my ear, it could just be that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.