Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i've currently got conditional offers for maths at Bath and Bristol and am struggling to choose between them. They are of pretty much the same level in terms of rank so this doesn't bother me.

I marginally preferred the maths department at bath, but my main concern is if i would get bored after a while, especially after first year. Although the sports facilities are really good, i'm not particularly sporty so that doesn't really appeal to me. I'm also not a big fan of clubbing or getting completely wasted a lot. So other than that, what do most students usually do in bath? What about after the first year?

I know that Bristol is relatively close but do many students go into Bristol from Bath for day trips? How much hassle/how expensive is this?

Also, i'm worried that there will be a lot of really sporty or posh people or people only interested in going drinking every night there and it will be difficult to find friends with other interests, have others found this to be the case or is this not true?

Coming from a big city, i'm also wondering if the (relatively) small city of bath and the small campus will feel really claustrophobic after a while, is this generally the case or does it stay a nice atmosphere? How easy is it to find jobs around the campus and city?

When i visited, the maths department at bath seemed rather big and almost impersonal. Can any maths students tell me how much support you get if you are struggling as this is rather important to me?

I preferred Bristol's social scene as this seemed a bit better than Bath's, but can any maths students at Bristol tell me how good the department facilities are and how much this affects you? Is having lectures in other departments a big hassle?

How expensive is it to live in Bath/Bristol?

Sorry i have a lot of questions but if anyone can help or have any input id be really grateful. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c.j.w)
    Hey, i've currently got conditional offers for maths at Bath and Bristol and am struggling to choose between them. They are of pretty much the same level in terms of rank so this doesn't bother me.

I marginally preferred the maths department at bath, but my main concern is if i would get bored after a while, especially after first year. Although the sports facilities are really good, i'm not particularly sporty so that doesn't really appeal to me. I'm also not a big fan of clubbing or getting completely wasted a lot. So other than that, what do most students usually do in bath? What about after the first year?

I know that Bristol is relatively close but do many students go into Bristol from Bath for day trips? How much hassle/how expensive is this?

Also, i'm worried that there will be a lot of really sporty or posh people or people only interested in going drinking every night there and it will be difficult to find friends with other interests, have others found this to be the case or is this not true?

Coming from a big city, i'm also wondering if the (relatively) small city of bath and the small campus will feel really claustrophobic after a while, is this generally the case or does it stay a nice atmosphere? How easy is it to find jobs around the campus and city?

When i visited, the maths department at bath seemed rather big and almost impersonal. Can any maths students tell me how much support you get if you are struggling as this is rather important to me?

I preferred Bristol's social scene as this seemed a bit better than Bath's, but can any maths students at Bristol tell me how good the department facilities are and how much this affects you? Is having lectures in other departments a big hassle?

How expensive is it to live in Bath/Bristol?

Sorry i have a lot of questions but if anyone can help or have any input id be really grateful. Thanks
    Hi, I'm not a maths student but I'll try to help with your other questions.

What do students do in Bath? - the same as many other unis I guess, we have a great pub quiz every week, and there's a huge range of societies. Also we get free entry into the Roman Baths

After the first year... Do you mean living wise? Quote me with your question exactly and I'll fix it

Going to Bristol - I've only done it once and that's because my team had to go there for an interview, but if you have a railcard it's less than £5 return. I think most people have been on nights out in Bristol more than day trips there... But to be honest that's he same within Bath, shockingly. One of my friends still has very little grasp on where things are because she only really goes into town for nights out and has her food shopping delivered.

There are lots of sporty people and people who go out a lot, but that's the same everywhere. I'm neither and I've had no trouble making friends, really. I end up sitting with the same people in all of my lectures and I have friends from newspaper too.

I'm from London, and I love the small scale of Bath! It feels totally safe at night, and 'the other side of the city centre' is about ten minutes' walk. It's got everything you need (except Primark...) and it just feels really friendly. Plus I love being able to present a good image of Bath/ the UK to all the tourists! Somehow they seem less annoying than the ones in London. The SU has a job shop and the campus grocery store always needs people, and there are jobs in the city too.

Expense - I spend £65 ish a week to include food, transport, etc. basically everything except halls. We don't have tescos or Asda - though they do deliver - so it's probably worth going to a Sainsbury's/ checking our their online shop to see what of their own brand stuff you like and what you don't. Our campus shop is a Co-op.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RibenaRockstar)
    Hi, I'm not a maths student but I'll try to help with your other questions.

What do students do in Bath? - the same as many other unis I guess, we have a great pub quiz every week, and there's a huge range of societies. Also we get free entry into the Roman Baths

After the first year... Do you mean living wise? Quote me with your question exactly and I'll fix it

Going to Bristol - I've only done it once and that's because my team had to go there for an interview, but if you have a railcard it's less than £5 return. I think most people have been on nights out in Bristol more than day trips there... But to be honest that's he same within Bath, shockingly. One of my friends still has very little grasp on where things are because she only really goes into town for nights out and has her food shopping delivered.

There are lots of sporty people and people who go out a lot, but that's the same everywhere. I'm neither and I've had no trouble making friends, really. I end up sitting with the same people in all of my lectures and I have friends from newspaper too.

I'm from London, and I love the small scale of Bath! It feels totally safe at night, and 'the other side of the city centre' is about ten minutes' walk. It's got everything you need (except Primark...) and it just feels really friendly. Plus I love being able to present a good image of Bath/ the UK to all the tourists! Somehow they seem less annoying than the ones in London. The SU has a job shop and the campus grocery store always needs people, and there are jobs in the city too.

Expense - I spend £65 ish a week to include food, transport, etc. basically everything except halls. We don't have tescos or Asda - though they do deliver - so it's probably worth going to a Sainsbury's/ checking our their online shop to see what of their own brand stuff you like and what you don't. Our campus shop is a Co-op.
    Hi, thanks for your reply, its made me feel better about the prospect of living in Bath.

By 'What about after the first year' i meant that once people move off of campus, do people tend not to do as much on campus (like societies and quiz nights ect) because of the hassle of getting there and back? Is there more to do around the student areas of Bath to keep you entertained when you're further from campus? Also, how easy is it to get from campus to the main 'student-y' areas in Bath?

Have you found that the campus feels a bit claustrophobic after a while as it seems to be a fair bit smaller than other campuses i've visited?

Can any maths students help with my other questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c.j.w)
    Hi, thanks for your reply, its made me feel better about the prospect of living in Bath.

By 'What about after the first year' i meant that once people move off of campus, do people tend not to do as much on campus (like societies and quiz nights ect) because of the hassle of getting there and back? Is there more to do around the student areas of Bath to keep you entertained when you're further from campus? Also, how easy is it to get from campus to the main 'student-y' areas in Bath?

Have you found that the campus feels a bit claustrophobic after a while as it seems to be a fair bit smaller than other campuses i've visited?

Can any maths students help with my other questions?
    No, people stay very much involved. There's a direct bus route that runs every 10 minutes between Oldfield Park, where people usually live, and uni. I'm not sure what there is to do around Oldfield,a good few pubs and there are some good charity shops too I believe.

It can be quite insular, so I go into Bath pretty much every Saturday for a wander and a Subway lunch and to go to Sainsbury's

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.