Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    I've been interviewed for two jobs, and I've heard from both today - one's wanting me back for a second interview on Friday, and the other one just basically said I got the job.

    My dilemma is this: the latter's email said that "it would be appreciated if you let me know (about accepting the offer) within three working days". However, I really would like to try for the former, a) because it's more in my line of work, and b) simply because it's more pay.

    Will the other job retract their offer if I don't reply soon? Any advice?
    Offline

    2
    Yes, from my experience your offer will "explode". Although you could call them and ask them to give you a few days extension.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HRH2)
    Yes, from my experience your offer will "explode". Although you could call them and ask them to give you a few days extension.
    Would this not make them a little suspicious though, i.e. "He's got another job lined up, and he's just waiting on that. Not committed, etc. Better withdraw the offer" type of thing?

    How do I word it so that it doesn't come across as the above?
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonic_dream)
    I've been interviewed for two jobs, and I've heard from both today - one's wanting me back for a second interview on Friday, and the other one just basically said I got the job.

    My dilemma is this: the latter's email said that "it would be appreciated if you let me know (about accepting the offer) within three working days". However, I really would like to try for the former, a) because it's more in my line of work, and b) simply because it's more pay.

    Will the other job retract their offer if I don't reply soon? Any advice?
    Lol i'm in a similar position. I had one today..pretty much got it i think...also have one tomorrow! but the one i had today kind of wants an answer by Friday Day after I have my second interview.

    big ball bags i know.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    I do wonder whether it is possible to: accept my first offer for now, go to the interview anyway, and if successful, turn down the first offer? Are there any legal consequences to that or anything? It's not like I'm signing a contract yet..
    Offline

    2
    (Original post by sonic_dream)
    I do wonder whether it is possible to: accept my first offer for now, go to the interview anyway, and if successful, turn down the first offer? Are there any legal consequences to that or anything? It's not like I'm signing a contract yet..
    You will be blacklisted from the company. I don't know what kind of impact it will have in your job industry though (i.e. if other employers also find out or not).
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HRH2)
    You will be blacklisted from the company. I don't know what kind of impact it will have in your job industry though (i.e. if other employers also find out or not).
    Sounds scary especially if things don't fall into place for me! How do I go about - without making it seem like they're a fall back option - asking for an extension though?
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Or alternatively, is it perhaps possible to imply to my interviewer/s on Friday that I need an answer that day due to a pending offer from the other? Is that terrible etiquette?
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Right, so now I've done my interview for the second company. I asked when I could expect to hear from them, and my interviewer told me early next week, hopefully Monday.

    I still haven't responded to the job offer from the first company. I don't know whether to just accept it and then just withdraw my acceptance if I am successful with the second company. Would that not be some sort of breach of contract though?

    EDIT: I just feel that if I don't accept the offer, I could potentially end up not having a job altogether!
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonic_dream)
    Would this not make them a little suspicious though, i.e. "He's got another job lined up, and he's just waiting on that. Not committed, etc. Better withdraw the offer" type of thing?

    How do I word it so that it doesn't come across as the above?
    I was in an identical situation for my placement, I'm now working for the first offerer

    I basically said that I'd already agreed to the other interview, so didn't want to stand them up. I also said that I had to talk it over with my parents in regard to how I'd commute / use the car, as an excuse to stall whilst I waited for the 2nd reply


    You basically need to say to the first that you'd really want to work for them, but you feel obligated to attend the other interview / you want to work out the logistics etc etc. But also weigh up how much better this 2nd job might be, and how many jobs are available for you at present, should you get neither!
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    I was in an identical situation for my placement, I'm now working for the first offerer

    I basically said that I'd already agreed to the other interview, so didn't want to stand them up. I also said that I had to talk it over with my parents in regard to how I'd commute / use the car, as an excuse to stall whilst I waited for the 2nd reply


    You basically need to say to the first that you'd really want to work for them, but you feel obligated to attend the other interview / you want to work out the logistics etc etc. But also weigh up how much better this 2nd job might be, and how many jobs are available for you at present, should you get neither!
    Thanks for the advice! I have unfortunately already had the interview for the second job. They are both close to my house (first one is literally a two minute walk, whilst the other is just a five minute drive).

    The second one really is my preferred job mainly for the fact that it is more in line with what I want to do (accountancy).

    The email said "it would be appreciated" if I could inform them within three working days, and it was sent last Wednesday. Would your interpretation count Wednesday or Thursday as 'day one'?
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Sonic Dream's made a good point: it said that it would be 'appreciated' if you confirmed after three working days, not that you must.

    I was in a similar position a couple of Christmas' ago. I applied for a handful and got an interview for two. One was a week before the other, and I had got an offer before the other interview had even taken place. The job that I hadn't yet interviewed for was one that I much preferred and so I had to take a gamble because I was requested to reply within 5 working days. Luckily, I said no and then got the other job!

    I'd say if it's not paramount that you reply within 3 days, don't!
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    "It would be appreciated if you could do this within three working days." was the exact wording regarding the acceptance, and then it says something about writing to me with the details of the offer - I guess as more of a formality - and if it's okay to seek references, etc.

    I don't want to wait for an unsuccessful response from the second job though.
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonic_dream)
    Thanks for the advice! I have unfortunately already had the interview for the second job. They are both close to my house (first one is literally a two minute walk, whilst the other is just a five minute drive).

    The second one really is my preferred job mainly for the fact that it is more in line with what I want to do (accountancy).

    The email said "it would be appreciated" if I could inform them within three working days, and it was sent last Wednesday. Would your interpretation count Wednesday or Thursday as 'day one'?
    Well that's fine, it decreases your waiting time if you've already had the interview! I'd say you could expect a reply by Tuesday, as workload can push these things to the back somewhat.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Yeah my interviewer said they'll be letting people know early next week if not Monday. I accepted the first job offer anyhow; I didn't want to risk ending up without a job
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    I was in a similar situation. I received an offer straight after one of my interviews. My response was an honest one. I told them that I had another interview on Wednesday (was a Monday) and I mentioned: "I'm sure you would agree that I want to weigh up all my options before I give a definite answer". I gave the employer some assurance that probability of me accepting the offer from the other employer is low however I didn’t want to give a definite answer just yet because I’m not one to accept an offer and decline it the next day because I received a better one. When I accept an offer I mean it. In addition there’s the factor which is simply wanting to go just out of curiosity as I wouldn’t want to accept the offer and then wonder in the future what .. company would had been like if I went to the interview.

    Both employers I said this to appreciated my honesty and were willing to wait for a response at the end of Wednesday. Because the last interview was the most promising I told him that I already had an offer. At the end of the interview I asked him if he seriously wants to take me on or not. He said yes so I asked him if there is any way to speed this process up so he tried to work as fast as he could. Because I told the previous company that I would contact them at the end of Wednesday I took a bit of a gamble and declined the offer even though I had not received a formal offer from the latest company I interviewed at. By the morning, I did receive a formal offer though so it paid off for me.

    Another employer was simply too slow. He took several weeks for him to get back to me. When I accepted the other job offer I eventually asked whether if there was anything that dissuaded him to employ me he eventually responded to admit he had simply been to slow so in a way it felt like he was simply buying time to find someone cheaper.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    I'm glad that worked out well for you mate! I wish I had the guts to tell the first that I am waiting on the outcome of another one so I could weigh my options. The problem is that I'm too scared that the offer will be withdrawn, and I could just end up having nothing in the end...
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonic_dream)
    I'm glad that worked out well for you mate! I wish I had the guts to tell the first that I am waiting on the outcome of another one so I could weigh my options. The problem is that I'm too scared that the offer will be withdrawn, and I could just end up having nothing in the end...

    Most employers are willing to wait 3 days for a decision unless applicants are litterally lining up for that position. Most will realise that its a big decision for yourself and so you want to have time to think about it. In the meantime I would had contacted the other employer to ask whether if we can speed things up and do the second interview before wednesday otherwise you will have to accept the other offer. Usually that employer will try to do the best they can to get things moving fast if they know that you've recieved another offer from a different company.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    I've already had the second interview yesterday. In the interview I asked when I could expect to hear back from them, and they said early next week, possibly Monday, so fingers crossed. I kinda wish I mentioned I've already had an offer.
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    You can accept the first offer and quit it if you get the second offer. You should be on a 'probationary period' for the first few weeks which means you can leave with little notice and the employer can fire you with little notice. But you'd need to check your contract first.
 
 
 
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.