Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm new to the site and have got an offer from York, but thought I'd try and get a few questions answered before I definitely accepted

1)What is the uni night life really like in terms of amount of places to go out with mates as well as to meet girls? I'm 17 so not exactly used to a crazy night life but wondering if it's any good, maybe compared with Bedford and Cambridge (near where I live)
    2)If the night life is average, do people ever go over to Leeds for nights out, or do most not bother?
    3)Which college would you recommend? I plan to do a fair amount sport- but will be starting fresh; would like a college where people go out a fair bit and have a good social life; can afford decent accommodation but I'm not well off enough to afford anything super expensive :P

I know the course is really important etc, but I already really like the look of that, just thought I's try and find out a bit more abut the stuff they don't tell you in prospectuses

Hope this is posted in the right place, haha
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaron_D)
    Hi! I'm new to the site and have got an offer from York, but thought I'd try and get a few questions answered before I definitely accepted

1)What is the uni night life really like in terms of amount of places to go out with mates as well as to meet girls? I'm 17 so not exactly used to a crazy night life but wondering if it's any good, maybe compared with Bedford and Cambridge (near where I live)
    2)If the night life is average, do people ever go over to Leeds for nights out, or do most not bother?
    3)Which college would you recommend? I plan to do a fair amount sport- but will be starting fresh; would like a college where people go out a fair bit and have a good social life; can afford decent accommodation but I'm not well off enough to afford anything super expensive :P

I know the course is really important etc, but I already really like the look of that, just thought I's try and find out a bit more abut the stuff they don't tell you in prospectuses

Hope this is posted in the right place, haha
    Cheers
    From what I've seen on YUSU and from other posters actually at York, there are 3-4 main nightclubs in York. However there are bars/clubs in some York colleges.

People do go to Leeds as it's only a 20 minute train ride, also the colleges and Union organise coach trips to places like Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds to go clubbing etc often

James College was typically the 'sporty' college, but now the new gym and sports centre is closer to the new campus with Goodricke and Langwith. I doubt it would really matter however as the free bus connects both campuses. But James is less expensive than Goodricke and Langwith (I think). I've heard Alucin is the most dull, so try and avoid there, but you'll make friends in other colleges anyway

ReputationRep:
    OK, Thanks for the info! James sounds pretty good then, don't think I'll be using the new gym or anything, looks too expensive :P

Cheers

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.