Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering if there is like a certain time you should sit your theory test? Like after a certain amount of lessons?

I've been doing driving lessons since February and ive been going over theory loads and at the minute ive got a steady pass rate on the mock ones. I live in Northern Ireland so I am not sure if the theory test in the Mainland is any different, but the thing is I am not worried about the multiple choice questions its the hazard perception. Ive done the clips on my disc for it but once you do it once after that you start to know what is coming and when to click so its not as good a practice method. Ive done some online and done well but the quality is quite bad so I 'm unsure what to expect in the actual thing.
    I really want to take my theory test but I'm a bit worried incase its still too soon..

ReputationRep:
    As soon as possible. You don't want to get to the stage that you're ready to sit your practical test, but you haven't yet passed your theory. I know a few people who did that!

ReputationRep:
    As soon as you realise that if someone walks out in front of you when you are driving, that they are a hazard.

Edit: Mad you failed your theory?

ReputationRep:
    When you're ready.

ReputationRep:
    not near exams.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any exams, im on a gap year, my instructor has said a lot that ive grasped things really quickly, and it seems like ive learnt so much in the short space of time so I don't want to leave it too late

ReputationRep:
    I'd take a few lessons and get a feel for driving - You'll be more aware of what signs mean and better placed to respond to the questions. You'll just have some perspective for driving really.

But, don't leave it too long. You must pass the theory before doing the practical, so get it out of the way in plenty of time. The hazard perception element of the theory is idiotic and is a really easy place to fail the test - So do it early enough in case you have to do it again.

Your instructor might be able to lend you the discs and/or the book to revise from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    I'd take a few lessons and get a feel for driving - You'll be more aware of what signs mean and better placed to respond to the questions. You'll just have some perspective for driving really.

But, don't leave it too long. You must pass the theory before doing the practical, so get it out of the way in plenty of time. The hazard perception element of the theory is idiotic and is a really easy place to fail the test - So do it early enough in case you have to do it again.

Your instructor might be able to lend you the discs and/or the book to revise from.
    Ive already got the discs, and ive been learning since February

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KerryF94)
    Ive already got the discs, and ive been learning since February
    Provided you're doing well at it, just go for it. Don't leave it too long or it will affect when you can book for your actual test.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering if there is like a certain time you should sit your theory test? Like after a certain amount of lessons?

I've been doing driving lessons since February and ive been going over theory loads and at the minute ive got a steady pass rate on the mock ones. I live in Northern Ireland so I am not sure if the theory test in the Mainland is any different, but the thing is I am not worried about the multiple choice questions its the hazard perception. Ive done the clips on my disc for it but once you do it once after that you start to know what is coming and when to click so its not as good a practice method. Ive done some online and done well but the quality is quite bad so I 'm unsure what to expect in the actual thing.
    I really want to take my theory test but I'm a bit worried incase its still too soon..
    It's way not soon, its more like late in my experience, should be done asap, after a lesson or 2 book it asap, not what you've done

ReputationRep:
    As you are form Northern Ireland (Like me) you will do it in Ballymena. I did mine there about 3 months ago and passed by one mark through revising the night before.

I would suggest buying the AA app for it if you have an apple device such as an Ipad or Iphone, I think HTC or samsung might have it in their app store as well.

Furthermore, good luck with your theory.

ReputationRep:

ASAP. It makes lessons easier too, you understand the road/signs better and you're not spending half your lesson time going over "what's that mean, what's this mean? why can't I drive over there? etc. etc."

ReputationRep:
    As soon as possible... It's helpful with road experience as you tend to learn things as you go along thus you don't need to revise as much! As someone said you don't want to be in a position where you are ready for the practical but you are yet to do your theory! You will just be wasting money on filler lessons until you pass your theory and even more money on filler lessons until your practical rolls around! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When two of Jupiter's moons align

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upthegunners)
    As you are form Northern Ireland (Like me) you will do it in Ballymena. I did mine there about 3 months ago and passed by one mark through revising the night before.

I would suggest buying the AA app for it if you have an apple device such as an Ipad or Iphone, I think HTC or samsung might have it in their app store as well.

Furthermore, good luck with your theory.
    I will be doing mine in Belfast, its closer to where I live. I don't have an Apple device or Samsung, ive a blackberry. I have the disc and ive been going over it..

I chose not to do my theory test early because ive found that by doing lessons at the same time it helps me so much more and Ive not had much trouble with signs, I always looked at sign books when I was younger.

ReputationRep:
    Took it today and passed

ReputationRep:
    Took it today and passed
    Well done :-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.