Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what can you actually do (as in employment or a career) with a history degree. I mean, what do you do if you get a degree from either oxford or cambridge in history?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bulmore)
    what can you actually do (as in employment or a career) with a history degree. I mean, what do you do if you get a degree from either oxford or cambridge in history?
    Nothing outside of academia is the short answer. But it certainly wont prohibit you from going into just about any other field you want. Most employers care more about your personality/leadership qualities than what degree you have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrKeen)
    Nothing outside of academia is the short answer. But it certainly wont prohibit you from going into just about any other field you want. Most employers care more about your personality/leadership qualities than what degree you have.
    Generally it seems to be a highly regarded degree because it is perceived as developing research skills, objectivity, writing etc and those have uses in many jobs. Not sure what the fexact figured are at Oxford but I think around 25% + of histrorians do further degrees. The next biggest career destinations are probably - law, the City, media/journalism. But it should be said that you probably wont meet many history students at Oxford who have very clear career plans until quite late - about now in final year. They probably exist but they are a small minority. Most are just into the subject and /or see it as a useful degree for a wide range of career options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scanner)
    Generally it seems to be a highly regarded degree because it is perceived as developing research skills, objectivity, writing etc and those have uses in many jobs. Not sure what the fexact figured are at Oxford but I think around 25% + of histrorians do further degrees. The next biggest career destinations are probably - law, the City, media/journalism. But it should be said that you probably wont meet many history students at Oxford who have very clear career plans until quite late - about now in final year. They probably exist but they are a small minority. Most are just into the subject and /or see it as a useful degree for a wide range of career options.
    Yeah I agree with the sentiments already expressed - there's nothing in industry that directly requires History but there are lots of careers that any degree from a prestigous university is a pre-requisit for. Like MrKeen says there's always a life in the city awaiting the well motivated, alternatively there's History teacher for those of you with a soul . I have a friend who finished his History degree at Oxford 2 and a bit years ago (got a 2:1) and he's now working for one of the investment banks up in Edinburgh looking for overseas opportunities or something (I don't really understand it) - he's absolutely raking it in though.....

ReputationRep:
    i love the idea of a history degree however I heard that someone said that if yo want to go into a profession you are not as well prepared as a sudent who has studied a business-related degree. history, as someone has already said, only really allows you to pursue academic studies. buit if you look at it in another direction, law-firms in particular highly regard a history degree, as i am sure many toerh companies do as well.

ReputationRep:
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    You silly billy's....History can open so many doors to you, look here:

http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=24860

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.