ReputationRep:
    "Time does not exist; it is merely our perception."

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    Time does exist.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Even if the idea of time were our perception, it would still exist as a perception or concept.

ReputationRep:
    My alarm clock agrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    "Time does not exist; it is merely our perception."

Discuss.
    It does exist. If it were merely our perception than this would not work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

ReputationRep:
    It is there for convenience more than anything I think...

ReputationRep:
    Either way you'll still age

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Time does exist. My exam is coming up in 9 days.

Now is not the best time to argue that time does not exists

ReputationRep:
    Don't we all just want to have Bernard's watch though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    It does exist. If it were merely our perception than this would not work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation
    Surely, if anything, time dilation is a demonstration that there is no such thing as time in an absolute sense and that the illusion of time is based upon the subjective interpretation of observers?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by sonic_dream)
    Don't we all just want to have Bernard's watch though?
    Spent all my childhood wishing I could have Bernard's Watch!

ReputationRep:
    If time didn't exist then I would be a very happy woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hungergeist)
    Surely, if anything, time dilation is a demonstration that there is no such thing as time in an absolute sense and that the illusion of time is based upon the subjective interpretation of observers?
    Not really. It suggests that time is a dimension that can be warped, as with space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    Not really. It suggests that time is a dimension that can be warped, as with space.
    Well yes, but relativity certainly challenges the conventional view of time as a linear progression of events. The concept of 'now', for instance, has no physical definition because time is necessarily attached to location in space.

ReputationRep:
    If something is only a perception, does that necessarily mean it doesn't exist?

ReputationRep:
    No because if time were based purely on your perception then you should spend the same amount of time when going at the speed of light than when staying on Earth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    No because if time were based purely on your perception then you should spend the same amount of time when going at the speed of light than when staying on Earth.
    I'm sorry but I do not follow your logic. If the speed at which time is perceived to progress alters depending on the observer's position in space and the speed at which they are traveling, then this proves that concept time as linear and absolute must be erroneous.

ReputationRep:
    I complete agree with this.

But why is time necessary for our evolution ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but I do not follow your logic. If the speed at which time is perceived to progress alters depending on the observer's position in space and the speed at which they are traveling, then this proves that concept time as linear and absolute must be erroneous.
    It proves that it is not linear and absolute, but it also shows that it exists. It gives us something to identify it as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    It proves that it is not linear and absolute, but it also shows that it exists. It gives us something to identify it as.
    Before I discuss whether the phenomena of time dilation proves the existence of time any further, I think you need to define precisely what you consider time to be. I suspect most people, if asked to define time, would give some vague description of progressive change, or of a constant 'flow' of events with a fixed direction. These definitions imply linearity, and as I've previously explained, no such linear progression exists beyond what we subjectively perceive as the change in observable values.

In addition, it has been experimentally established that certain observed phenomena are not bound by our notion of time. The quantum superposition of subatomic particles as demonstrated by the double slit experiment, for instance, shows that particles can occupy all their possible positions in space and time simultaneously. This observation would seem to suggest that the common conception of time is a misapprehension.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 29, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.