Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I need opinions:
    For 27 days, I have been looking after three guinea pigs for a woman I babysit for in my village, and walking up to her house every day to feed her fish. She is picking them up tomorrow, and sent me an email asking how much I want to be paid for it. How much do you think it would be reasonable to ask for? I might also be worth mentioning that she has twice very recently asked me to babysit during the day, then told me when I turned up (quite early in the morning during the holidays) that she didn't need me to come anymore.....anyway, input is greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Between £50 - £100. Depends how much of a pain it is to get to her house, and the time taken from leaving until you get back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scillage)
    Between £50 - £100. Depends how much of a pain it is to get to her house, and the time taken from leaving until you get back.
    that much? It's about a 10 minute walk to her house, but it's on the way to school, so during the week I just leave a few minutes early (I should probably clarify that the guinea pigs are at my house)

ReputationRep:
    Just say £20-30 should cover it.

Then make a joke and say that your rates will go up next time, in line with inflation.

ReputationRep:
    I think she's putting you in a bit of an awkward position by asking you, obviously as an modest and decent person which I'm sure you are, she knows you're not going to ask for much incase you come across as being rude or greedy.
    I'd reply to her and say you feel she should only pay you what she feels you deserve. Or something along those lines.
    If you ask for too much, she might get annoyed and won't give you anywhere near that amount. If you ask for too little as you're being polite, you might have done all that hardwork for very little.
    That's what I'd do anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bellatrixb)
    I need opinions:
    For 27 days, I have been looking after three guinea pigs for a woman I babysit for in my village, and walking up to her house every day to feed her fish. She is picking them up tomorrow, and sent me an email asking how much I want to be paid for it. How much do you think it would be reasonable to ask for? I might also be worth mentioning that she has twice very recently asked me to babysit during the day, then told me when I turned up (quite early in the morning during the holidays) that she didn't need me to come anymore.....anyway, input is greatly appreciated!

Whatever you think your services to her have been worth.
    Considering what your time is worth.
    and the amount of time you put into it all

ReputationRep:
    How much time have you spent doing it? Price your service at £5 an hour or something. You need to have a justification to it, otherwise she may not be happy to pay.

If you spent 20 minutes a day going out of your way, you could charge say £2 a day, so that's about £50 for the 27 days (if you round it down).

Plus remember to include anything you had to pay for (more food or stuff).

She probably has no idea what to pay, which is why she is asking you.

ReputationRep:
    Probably about £50, if you've been having to buy food then I'd add another £5-£10.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.