Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should vaccinations be compulsory for all? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ive just been reading this and the arguments for and against mandatory vaccinations. I don't think they should be because as the article says we own ourselves so should have choice but then a counter argument is that being unvaccinated risks the health of others.

What do you think?

http://www.policymic.com/articles/20...most-americans

ReputationRep:
    Don't think it should be compulsory - at the end of the day, it is in fact out body thus we should be able to decide what to do. Hopefully, the decision is a well researched and thought about one, therefore the person will be aware of why they are making their decision - to either say no or yes. Similarly, all medical matters should be a choice.

USING THE TSR APP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by civilstudent)
    Ive just been reading this and the arguments for and against mandatory vaccinations. I don't think they should be because as the article says we own ourselves so should have choice but then a counter argument is that being unvaccinated risks the health of others.

What do you think?

God yes. Had the idiots in the media not told everybody MMR jabs were dangerous then, it would be less likely we'd be in this measles epidemic. And also make organ donation compulsory. Make it an opt out scheme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    Don't think it should be compulsory - at the end of the day, it is in fact out body thus we should be able to decide what to do. Hopefully, the decision is a well researched and thought about one, therefore the person will be aware of why they are making their decision - to either say no or yes. Similarly, all medical matters should be a choice.

USING THE TSR APP
    I totally agree

ReputationRep:

What do you think?

NO

It should be a personal choice.
    Especially if the vaccine hasn't been proven totally safe

ReputationRep:
    Vaccinations should be compulsory for children. Adults can do what they like.

ReputationRep:
    Of course they shouldn't. People have the right to refuse medical intervention if they want to and that right is one of the most important I can think of, up there with the right to life.

Vaccination when herd immunity is important should be very strongly encouraged (eg measles and polio) and refusing the vaccine without a good reason is a seriously ****ish thing to do, but so would be pinning someone to the floor and sticking a needle in their arm.

ReputationRep:
    I think they should be compulsory through schools yes. I think not vaccinating your child is akin to abuse in many ways tbh.

(Original post by Olympiad)
    Hopefully, the decision is a well researched and thought about one...
    Which in all circumstances would be deferring to expert opinion, surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    Of course they shouldn't. People have the right to refuse medical intervention if they want to and that right is one of the most important I can think of, up there with the right to life.

Vaccination when herd immunity is important should be very strongly encouraged (eg measles and polio) and refusing the vaccine without a good reason is a seriously ****ish thing to do, but so would be pinning someone to the floor and sticking a needle in their arm.
    People don't have the right to refuse treatment for their child automatically though, and that is what we're talking about here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    People don't have the right to refuse treatment for their child automatically though, and that is what we're talking about here.
    The law says that parents have the right to decide about their child's medical treatment as long as they act in the child's best interest. No vaccine is 100% free of any risk of feeling under the weather for a few days or similar and therefore I think you could argue that refusing a vaccine was in their best interests, especially in the case of things like polio where there is already sufficient herd immunity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    The law says that parents have the right to decide about their child's medical treatment as long as they act in the child's best interest. No vaccine is 100% free of any risk of feeling under the weather for a few days or similar and therefore I think you could argue that refusing a vaccine was in their best interests, especially in the case of things like polio where there is already sufficient herd immunity.
    That would be a flimsy argument on their part, especially for the other vaccines, and frankly i wouldn't pander to conspiracy theories or dub pseudoscience when the consequences are potential lethal. Actually having a measles outbreak when there is a vaccine against it is just... unacceptable.
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    No when I was a baby they tried to give me the bcg jag when I was born even though it caused all my family members to have a bad reaction and end up in hospital and this was when they we're teenagers imagine giving that to a baby. It was only cause my mum refused profusely that I didn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    No when I was a baby they tried to give me the bcg jag when I was born even though it caused all my family members to have a bad reaction and end up in hospital and this was when they we're teenagers imagine giving that to a baby. It was only cause my mum refused profusely that I didn't.
    Well i'd imagine the chances and severity would be substantially reduced in a baby without a mature immune system to drive such a reaction, but i understand your concern.

ReputationRep:

What do you think?

Being unvaccinated causing others disease is a common flaw that does the rounds. The only people at risk from unvaccinated people are other unvaccinated people, after all you're vaccinated why would you catch it?!

Should be freedom of choice.

ReputationRep:
    Adults? No. (Unless it's a new super-virus or a cure for the common cold)
    Children? Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawsies)
    Being unvaccinated causing others disease is a common flaw that does the rounds. The only people at risk from unvaccinated people are other unvaccinated people, after all you're vaccinated why would you catch it?! .
    Incorrect - vaccines are not 100% effective, plus there are always those too young to have been immunised.

Plus if we eradicate the disease by making everyone immune, then future generations wouldn't need the vaccine in the first place! Not getting vaccinated is indeed selfish, as well as stupid.

ReputationRep:
    i think schools should be allowed to refuse unvaccinated pupils.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    God yes. Had the idiots in the media not told everybody MMR jabs were dangerous then, it would be less likely we'd be in this measles epidemic. And also make organ donation compulsory. Make it an opt out scheme.
    Well, it's not compulsory if you can opt-out, is it?

I certainly don't think it should be compulsory, or even opt-out. It assumes that the state actually owns your body. That's crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    i think schools should be allowed to refuse unvaccinated pupils.
    This would require schools to have access to your medical records; what about privacy?

And as education is (wrongly, in my view) compulsory, how will this work?

If schools refuse people and people refuse to be vaccinated, they cannot be educated?

The idea that the state could force someone to be injected with something against their will is positively Orwellian.

ReputationRep:
    NO, definitely not, We are not living in a police state.... yet

I suffered with a nystagmus (perminant eye condition) and other complications after my first dose of the MMR. I am not immune to any of the illnesses. I will certainly not be having it until I am physically restrained or at gun point.

Dan

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.