Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any advice/views on Imperial College London vs. Oxford for Earth Science?

Really need some help!
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I had this dilemma earlier this year. I knew I wanted to go to Imperial the moment I saw it (so much so that when I got my offer, I almost sent an email to Oxford asking to withdraw my application :L). But, I turned up anyway, managed to get an offer and was faced with the cruciating decision of which university I choose.

I eventually went with Oxford; there were a few people who were way more intelligent than me and got rejected from Oxbridge and (without being cheesy) I didn't want to throw the opportunity away.

Imperial, however, have very strong ties with industry (especially mining), with multiple grants from companies, work experience placements and sessions where the company 'sells' itself to try and 'recruit' you; I suppose if you're certain that industry is where you want to go straight after masters then Imperial might be better.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'd just like to ask about Geology at Oxford, what does it take to get in? I noticed that there's no Admission test which is a big perk, but I'm still wondering what kind of thing they're looking for (besides from the grades). I've done a field trip in my local area, but didn't really gain much out of it.

I have a couple of books on my reading list this summer, anyone got any others?

Also, I'm interested in what people have to say about Earth Science at Oxford as compared to Imperial. They're both amazing colleges, but Imperial is ranked better while Oxford has a better reputation.

Thanks for any help!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by kkohli17)
    Hey guys,

I'd just like to ask about Geology at Oxford, what does it take to get in? I noticed that there's no Admission test which is a big perk, but I'm still wondering what kind of thing they're looking for (besides from the grades). I've done a field trip in my local area, but didn't really gain much out of it.

I have a couple of books on my reading list this summer, anyone got any others?

Also, I'm interested in what people have to say about Earth Science at Oxford as compared to Imperial. They're both amazing colleges, but Imperial is ranked better while Oxford has a better reputation.

Thanks for any help!
    I would also be really interested in this. The idea of admissions tests terrifies me, but I honestly haven't got a clue what kind of questions they'd ask in the interview or how deep a knowledge they expect of you. I really enjoyed physical geography at GCSE, but I haven't continued it to A Level and whilst I've done quite a bit of reading on Earth Sciences, I'm hardly an expert.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

can one transfer from the BSc to MSc at Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's possible, though for financing reasons it's easier to transfer the other way.... Just a thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by iloverocks)
    Hey guys,

can one transfer from the BSc to MSc at Oxford?
    What Flame of the West said! The official advice from the department is if you have any doubts, go for the MSci because it's considerably easier to convert from MSci to BSc than vice versa.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.