Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Open University mature student, couple of question's Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm 27 in August and after a good look round and some serious thinking I've decided to take up learning again. I have reasonable gcse's Science B/B Maths C and English C Geography B, I have not done anything really academic since leaving school so have probably forgotten most of it so i'm a bit worried. I was looking at doing the science etc access course with OU then if i got on ok progressing on to the environmental science degree. My main concern is do you think the degree is a bit out of my league based on my gcse's and no schooling since then, i was going to get some gcse revision books to brush up on maths and english before doing the access course which would start in October.

Any advice would be great, maybe on alternative science course's if you think this would be a tad tough , science is the area i wish to study but i'm unsure of what i really want to do at the end specifically but environmental science seems the one that interests me the most and i think would have a good variety of job prospects.

ReputationRep:
    The OU seem to be changing around the introductory modules they do - starting from October, they'll have some very broad Access modules, including a Science, Technology and Maths one which might suit you (that broad approach might work particularly well if you aren't sure exactly what you'd like to study for a degree, as it would give you a chance to try out different things and either confirm that your interests lie where you think they do, or discover new ones...)

I wouldn't worry about not having studied in a while - the whole point of the OU is to enable people who didn't dive straight into university straight from school to come back to study later in life; and although they're new I'm absolutely certain that the access modules will be set up specifically for people in just your situation, to help you build your confidence in getting back to study, and build your skills up to enable you to do a whole degree if that's what you decide you'd like to do.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info persipan, that was the access course i was looking at, it seems to cover a broad spectrum.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.