Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Was thinking about this in the toilet today (my seemingly new habitat for this bulk). Numerous members have trouble with form and people often want it checked.

Wondered what people's opinions would be on a sticky where people could post vids of form or a subsection.

I have no idea if it would work and I'm not a mod so I can't implement it anyway but I wondered what peoples thoughts are.

The potential benefit from a subsection is I think it could be made available to anon which I think would encourage newbies to post. Afterall form is arguably THE most important part of lifting (more so than routines and diet) and it gets some of the least attention here. I think it would be a real resource to the forum.

Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cool. I like the idea. I will make a sticky. I will discuss the anon thing with people who can actually do something about that.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree, good idea

ReputationRep:
    Feel free to add suggestions on our new sticky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Was thinking about this in the toilet today (my seemingly new habitat for this bulk). Numerous members have trouble with form and people often want it checked.

Wondered what people's opinions would be on a sticky where people could post vids of form or a subsection.

I have no idea if it would work and I'm not a mod so I can't implement it anyway but I wondered what peoples thoughts are.

The potential benefit from a subsection is I think it could be made available to anon which I think would encourage newbies to post. Afterall form is arguably THE most important part of lifting (more so than routines and diet) and it gets some of the least attention here. I think it would be a real resource to the forum.

Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good idea in principal but...

I've got to take issue with the bolded. It's not the most important part of lifting. It's really not. Safe form is essential, obvs. Perfect form is not. Everyone's biomechanics are different. Everyone's injury histories are different. Everyone's goals are different. All of these things play into how people lift.

Also the internet is full of very weak people who like to think they know what they're doing and are very quick to shoot down others. They also give 'advice' that is not helpful. I would include myself under the umbrella of 'very weak' too hence why I don't critique form vids that are posted here or anywhere else. Unless there's an obivously dangerous thing going on.

Example:

Someone posts a squat vid and the trainee is squatting a little high. Technique is otherwise safe.

Response will be as follows:

Too much wehightszzz. Go back to teh bar and learn to sqwatz assss to grasss!11!1111!!!

This is not helpful. The OP will probably do what is suggested due to the number of responses saying variations of the above and some posters throwing in clever fitness-y language expousing the benefits of a total deload that will destroy any progress made.

It's also not helpful because the OP may have biomechanical issues preventing them from squating through a full range of motion under significant load without causing something to go pop. Posters on the internet can not tell this from a single video from a single angle taken on an iPhone.

The simplest fix for this hypothetical problem is:

Drop 5-10kg from the bar.
    Drop a few inches lower into the hole.
    Still hard then try some plates under heels/oly shoes/stretching.

Problem solved. OP does not lose all progress made. OP does not get hurt.

I predict that simple solutions will not be in abundance in a 'critique my form' thread on a forum. Just go to youtube or BB.com or tnation to see this point illustrated nicely.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think it'll be used much in all honesty, as the above poster said I can see there bring far to much detailed knit picking of the biomechanics of the lifts but hey ho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old School)
    Good idea in principal but...

I've got to take issue with the bolded. It's not the most important part of lifting. It's really not. Safe form is essential, obvs. Perfect form is not. Everyone's biomechanics are different. Everyone's injury histories are different. Everyone's goals are different. All of these things play into how people lift.
    You've gone a bit beyond what I was originally saying. I never said perfect form was essential, "Perfect is the enemy of good". However, I don't think anybody could argue that safe form goes below diet, routine or programming in things you should get nailed down first.

Also the internet is full of very weak people who like to think they know what they're doing and are very quick to shoot down others. They also give 'advice' that is not helpful. I would include myself under the umbrella of 'very weak' too hence why I don't critique form vids that are posted here or anywhere else. Unless there's an obivously dangerous thing going on.

Example:

Someone posts a squat vid and the trainee is squatting a little high. Technique is otherwise safe.

Response will be as follows:

Too much wehightszzz. Go back to teh bar and learn to sqwatz assss to grasss!11!1111!!!
    I think this could become a problem but Monk has already stated that the thread will be moderated highly so this shouldn't become a problem. Fitness on here has a pretty active mod community compared to some of the **** that gets flung around on bb.com.

This is not helpful. The OP will probably do what is suggested due to the number of responses saying variations of the above and some posters throwing in clever fitness-y language expousing the benefits of a total deload that will destroy any progress made.

It's also not helpful because the OP may have biomechanical issues preventing them from squating through a full range of motion under significant load without causing something to go pop. Posters on the internet can not tell this from a single video from a single angle taken on an iPhone.

The simplest fix for this hypothetical problem is:

Drop 5-10kg from the bar.
    Drop a few inches lower into the hole.
    Still hard then try some plates under heels/oly shoes/stretching.

Problem solved. OP does not lose all progress made. OP does not get hurt.
    Agreed, in this kind of scenario this is what is needed. However this isn't what every video is going to be. Every day there's threads on this forum about new people starting the gym. I've only trained in a handful of gyms (around 5) but everywhere there is an abundance of people with more form issues than just squatting without perfect depth.

Knees flying forward, heels coming up off the ground, collapsing knees, lack of lumbar arch, or quarter depth. People OHPing with elbows way out wide or the bar a good portion in front of them. Deadlifters with dangerous lower back arches, trouble getting hips down or a questionable neck angle. People benching with their ass off the bench or no arch, feet in the air or on the bench, bringing the bar over their neck with twisted wrists and untucked elbows.

I'm not saying I am beyond these either (why mostly I'll be staying out of the thread to give advice unless something is blatent but I may put videos up myself) but not everyone lifts with safe form, especially beginners. Whilst some of these are arguable to be okay on the last rep of the later sets if somebody is going into every single rep of every set with untucked elbows and no lower back arch (without a prelimiting factor) then their bench is going to suffer. The same goes for some of the factors and risk of injury.

I predict that simple solutions will not be in abundance in a 'critique my form' thread on a forum. Just go to youtube or BB.com or tnation to see this point illustrated nicely.
    Unfortunately this is where we disagree the most. I think this forum has the potential to be able to satisfy the criteria to give adequate feedback. I don't think anyone in their right mind would try to tell somebody the attitudes and atmosphere of this forum are similar to that of BB.com or youtube. Hell, there's a reason why a good portion of users here don't visit youtube/bb.com, myself included.

Simple fixes are always the best. Verbal cues, elevated heels, removing shoes in DL, suggest some basic motility work if the post highlights a clear problem. Hell, even an A-Okay would be fine, it doesn't have to be about picking holes in a posters rep. I think as long as that's the mindset of the mods and everyone is clear on this there shouldn't be a problem.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.