University cards Watch

tiggerish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
How are they done? Do we send in photos beforehand or do we get digital type pics taken once we get there? Are they in colour or black and white?

This isn't that important but I always end up with hideous photo ID cards so I would like to prepare myself (e.g. arrange for airbrushing/major Photoshopping).
Russell_G
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol!

what happens is that after grades and acceptance letters come out, you'll get a whole pack through from college with details about accommodation, freshers guides, the lot. they'll also ask for 2 passport photos - which then go to the central admin of the uni to make your 'bod card', which will be your most important card at uni really, will get you in/out of doors, buy food in hall etc.

be careful - the original picture you send in will be the only one you get whilst your there!!
Sinuhe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Don't worry, however good you look in that picture you send, it'll look hideous on the card.

The picture is in colour on the card. But obviously not the same colour as it was in the original.

As you have to staple the photo on to the piece of paper you send it on, a lot of people have staples visible on their Bod cards just next to their faces. Quite funny.
F1 fanatic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Russell_G)
lol!

what happens is that after grades and acceptance letters come out, you'll get a whole pack through from college with details about accommodation, freshers guides, the lot. they'll also ask for 2 passport photos - which then go to the central admin of the uni to make your 'bod card', which will be your most important card at uni really, will get you in/out of doors, buy food in hall etc.

be careful - the original picture you send in will be the only one you get whilst your there!!
I remember it being closer to 6 passport photos. In theory it doesn't HAVE to last you all your time at uni. You can get new ones for £10ish should you lose it (or if it breaks it is replaced for free).

My one is silly. Being of a slightly older generation, not only is my photo black and white (well grayscale) but they also put the name in just the right place for it to be rubbed off when it is swiped. Especially useful given it needs to be visible in exams. I think they have corrected it now though.

They generally look bad though. It's tradition. It's not like anyones actually going to see it much.
ThePants999
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, mine was black and white. And didn't specify my college, for some reason.
F1 fanatic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Athena)
Do they have NUS on them, or do you have to get a separate NUS card?
There is no NUS card... which is very annoying. The Bod card serves the same purpose within Oxford, but to my knowledge there is no actual NUS card as such. Or at least I have never seen mention of one.
Showsni
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, I've got an NUS card. And an OUSU card. As well as my Bod card. Perhaps it's just your college...
Hoofbeat
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Stu, if your name has rubbed off you should be able to get a free (colour!) replacement. My barcode and bod card number rubbed off at the beginning of this year, meaning that I couldn't scan in at dinner time so I went to the college office who took my details, and the next day a brand new shiny colour Bod Card appeared in my pidge Sadly, the photo on my card has faded really realy badly and I now look like loads of flesh-coloured dots...however the text hasn't faded at all. Anyways, go speak to your college secretary, show them your card and you should get a free replacement.

Chris, my card doesn't say I'm from Lincoln either (most other colleges do, just not ours!) and instead just has a number!

And I don't have an NUS card either...as far as I'm aware no college issues them (although I think you can probably apply for one yourself). Most places I've been to outside of Oxford accept my bod card (or my OUSU card) as student ID, although some anal cinema in Trocadero refused to let me get a student ticket as they insisted they ONLY accepted NUS cards so I ended up having to pay £8 for a ticketr (eek, London's soooo much more expensive - my student discount tickets at home ate like £3.60!)
kalen
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
8 pounds for a movie???!? That's insane! :eek:

edit: well, now that I think about it even the discounted ticket at the odeon here costs more than a regular ticket back home :rolleyes:
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well when you get your OUSU card you stick the photo on yourself - so you can get a better photo for that. But your Bod card is done by computer so whatever photo you send will be stretched and horribly distorted
trina
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
NUS cards: This depends on whether your college is affiliated to NUS, so some colleges get them and some don't.
OUSU is currently trying to change it so that we centrally affiliate (i.e. OUSU affiliates to the NUS and we affiliate to OUSU). This will be cheaper for the colleges currently affiliated to the NUS, but OUSU affiliation fees may well rise as a result so it'll be more expensive for those who aren't affiliated.
F1 fanatic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Hoofbeat)
Stu, if your name has rubbed off you should be able to get a free (colour!) replacement. My barcode and bod card number rubbed off at the beginning of this year, meaning that I couldn't scan in at dinner time so I went to the college office who took my details, and the next day a brand new shiny colour Bod Card appeared in my pidge Sadly, the photo on my card has faded really realy badly and I now look like loads of flesh-coloured dots...however the text hasn't faded at all. Anyways, go speak to your college secretary, show them your card and you should get a free replacement.

Chris, my card doesn't say I'm from Lincoln either (most other colleges do, just not ours!) and instead just has a number!

And I don't have an NUS card either...as far as I'm aware no college issues them (although I think you can probably apply for one yourself). Most places I've been to outside of Oxford accept my bod card (or my OUSU card) as student ID, although some anal cinema in Trocadero refused to let me get a student ticket as they insisted they ONLY accepted NUS cards so I ended up having to pay £8 for a ticketr (eek, London's soooo much more expensive - my student discount tickets at home ate like £3.60!)
Yeah, its just about visible, but only if you hold it at the right angle. I think I might go and see them about it. Its a shame because apart from that it's in perfect condition.

And yes, I have managed to use my Bod card/OUSU card on various occasions too. But it isn't as good as the actual NUS card for bein accepted.

(Original post by trina)
NUS cards: This depends on whether your college is affiliated to NUS, so some colleges get them and some don't.
OUSU is currently trying to change it so that we centrally affiliate (i.e. OUSU affiliates to the NUS and we affiliate to OUSU). This will be cheaper for the colleges currently affiliated to the NUS, but OUSU affiliation fees may well rise as a result so it'll be more expensive for those who aren't affiliated.
I'm impressed. Anyone that can get the word affiliated into a post 7 times in 4 lines is deserving of respect :p:. End result, it'll cost me more for no benefit if I'm reading your post correctly?
Russell_G
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In theory it doesn't HAVE to last you all your time at uni. You can get new ones for £10ish should you lose it
yer, i'm on my 3rd bod card already, what i meant was that the picture they use stays the same as it's done centrally. and we don't have to pay if we lose them, i guess we're lucky!! we've all got NUS cards and OUSU cards at exeter..
tiggerish
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Noooooooo...is there any way I can send in a black and white photo? Then I won't have red marks when I inevitably get a spot as I walk into the photo booth.
ThePants999
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Circa half the Oxford colleges are NUS members. If you go to one, you'll be able to get a separate NUS card via the college. If you go to one that isn't a member, you're out of luck on the NUS front, I'm afraid. You cannot get an NUS card as an individual, only through an affiliated student body. I'm not surprised more colleges aren't members - I organised a referendum at Lincoln on joining the NUS, and the affiliation fee the JCR would have had to pay was quite shocking.

Bod and OUSU cards are useless for getting student discounts outside of Oxford.
Sinuhe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tiggerish)
Noooooooo...is there any way I can send in a black and white photo? Then I won't have red marks when I inevitably get a spot as I walk into the photo booth.
Yes, you can send them a black and white photo if you want. I know several people who have done that, and they had no problems with having done so.
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ThePants999)
Circa half the Oxford colleges are NUS members. If you go to one, you'll be able to get a separate NUS card via the college.
Got details as to which ones are, and which ones aren't?
Showsni
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, Univ must be as I've got one.
randomer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
OUSU are negotiating central affiliation to NUS at the moment so hopefully, all the colleges will be part of it soon. It all about money - its about 2000 quid to join as a college and about 6000 to join as a uni (30 something colleges) so many are holding out for central afiliation.
Derek_The_Hamster
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by randomer)
. It all about money - its about 2000 quid to join as a college and about 6000 to join as a uni (30 something colleges) so many are holding out for central afiliation.
I'd be a little surprised if it was that little - Oxford is a fairly large university, with fairly decent block grants to the JCRs, so it would ordinarily be much higher than this (e.g. Warwick, Bristol etc which are only slightly larger are in the 10s of k, and Durham which is only slightly smaller is about 10k.

Of course, if Oxford manage to trick NUS into using the OUSU block grant (zero) instead of the sum of the JCRs (lots) then it might be that low - Durham's affiliation fee is only calculated from the central SU's block grant rather than the sum of the JCRs as well (not sure about Cambridge, who also affiliate centrally, off the top of my head I'm afraid)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (517)
37.63%
No - but I will (107)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (94)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (656)
47.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed