Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Who has clicked on the refresh button (or pressed the f5 key) the most because of busy servers?

Sometimes its not a problem, but other times, it is so annoying?

i kno you havent been counting each time you doo it, but give me an average.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it's 5 times, sometimes never, sometimes I've been clicking on and off for 5 mintues with no response. It's quite a bad rpoblem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerline)
    Who has clicked on the refresh button (or pressed the f5 key) the most because of busy servers?

Sometimes its not a problem, but other times, it is so annoying?

i kno you havent been counting each time you doo it, but give me an average.
    I *try* to be a little bit patient when I get the dreaded busy server message, but unfortunately I get rather mad when I'm trying to post a reply and the server's down :mad: I have no idea of my average number of clicks though :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Just to avoid confusion, i mean the MOST times you have clicked refresh(or an approximate if you're not sure).

ReputationRep:
    By the way.... sorry about the last option....i shouldnt have wrote that. Just ignore that stupid part-im sure there are other reasons for not pressing refresh (e.g-never experiencing a busy server)

ReputationRep:
    Once I got anoyed on the school system when it took a minute to load up a blank page, then held down the F5 key for about 30 seconds. It worked, but took even longer to load up afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Sometimes it's 5 times, sometimes never, sometimes I've been clicking on and off for 5 mintues with no response. It's quite a bad rpoblem.
    the best way is to close the window then get to the pagge again

ReputationRep:
    No wonder the server is always down.

If the server is down wait at least 1 minute before hitting refresh.

ReputationRep:
    By the way.... sorry about the last option....i shouldnt have wrote that. Just ignore that stupid part-im sure there are other reasons for not pressing refresh (e.g-never experiencing a busy server)
    If there is one person who has over 100 posts and has never seen a busy server, I'll eat my hat.

ReputationRep:
    Dont press refresh immediately because everyone does that then it makes the server go down for even longer. I leave it a minute and then try that normally works fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    the best way is to close the window then get to the pagge again

ive never tried that before...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pal_sch)
    If there is one person who has over 100 posts and has never seen a busy server, I'll eat my hat.

Yes thats the reason i didnt mention that the first time...

ReputationRep:
    its easier on an aol browzer than if you use internet explorer though, with aol i jus need to click on browzer then press enter

ReputationRep:
    If it goes down while making a post, go back and copy the text before doing this. I once lost a lloooonnnngggg post on one of the poitical threads to a busy server.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Dont press refresh immediately because everyone does that then it makes the server go down for even longer. I leave it a minute and then try that normally works fine.
    i know, but dont you think that after you have waited one minute, the server could still be down? Peopel could still be trying to get through you know...

ReputationRep:
    If it goes down while making a post, go back and copy the text before doing this. I once lost a lloooonnnngggg post on one of the poitical threads to a busy server.

ahh right, never lost one (yet), when the serv goes down while submitting a post, the page is usually still there for me when i click back

ReputationRep:
    Ironically i just had to hit refresh 3 times just to add my vote :confused: i waited 1 min between each press

ReputationRep:
    lol...i dont normally write long posts... i usually break it up into 2-3 different posts.

ReputationRep:
    i know, but dont you think that after you have waited one minute, the server could still be down? Peopel could still be trying to get through you know...
    The point is it that more people that keep refreshing the more resources the server requires. So refreshing will just mean the server lacks procesisng power for longer.

ReputationRep:
    Heres a new idea. When a server goes down, go back to a working page and click on the sponsered links a few dozen times so that d will be able to upgrade the server one day. That way you have something to do other than sit around swearing at the screen.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.