Who has clicked 'refresh' most -servers down Watch

This discussion is closed.
Powerline
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
The point is it that more people that keep refreshing the more resources the server requires. So refreshing will just mean the server lacks procesisng power for longer.
ok good point. now we have to spread that to all the users...
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by pal_sch)
Heres a new idea. When a server goes down, go back to a working page and click on the sponsered links a few dozen times so that d will be able to upgrade the server one day. That way you have something to do other than sit around swearing at the screen.
how many clicks do we need to raise the money needed?
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
Dont press refresh immediately because everyone does that then it makes the server go down for even longer. I leave it a minute and then try that normally works fine.
Hmm... it's unlikely that it (constantly refreshing) actually affects it much at all. It's the database queries which cause the server to be busy; returning a simple HTML page informing the user that the server is busy is not going to take much processing at all. This is why you very rarely (if ever) get the server unable to return these simple busy pages. It's not like the server is having trouble returning these (e.g. just hanging and not doing anything), well not from my end anyway.
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
how many clicks do we need to raise the money needed?
Lets see, call it 500000000000 for a proper pro server.
Powerline
Rep:
?
Heres a new idea. When a server goes down, go back to a working page and click on the sponsered links a few dozen times so that d will be able to upgrade the server one day. That way you have something to do other than sit around swearing at the screen.
Or you could just wait a couple of minutes and do sumthing else before trying again...im sure you have revision/coursework/something else to do...
Powerline
Rep:
?
Lets see, call it 500000000000 for a proper pro server.

thats not a lot. How long does it take to click on a link? if more people did that, the quicker that money would raise...
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Powerline)
Or you could just wait a couple of minutes and do sumthing else before trying again...im sure you have revision/coursework/something else to do...
good idea but when the server goes down, i wont really do coursework as an alternative, thiough it would be nice if i was that sensible
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
currently playing pool on miniclip. And losing due to this thread. Its hard to play and type.
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
thats not a lot. How long does it take to click on a link? if more people did that, the quicker that money would raise...
No such luck. Tried it just now and couldn't get to the sponsered links while server was down. Sucks.
Powerline
Rep:
?
currently playing pool on miniclip. And losing due to this thread. Its hard to play and type.
Then simply do one at a time!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rahaydenuk)
Hmm... it's unlikely that it (constantly refreshing) actually affects it much at all. It's the database queries which cause the server to be busy; returning a simple HTML page informing the user that the server is busy is not going to take much processing at all. This is why you very rarely (if ever) get the server unable to return these simple busy pages. It's not like the server is having trouble returning these (e.g. just hanging and not doing anything), well not from my end anyway.
I think what could explain this is that the database maybe hosted on a different server which can explain where there is no edivance of low bandwidth on the site.
Powerline
Rep:
?
No such luck. Tried it just now and couldn't get to the sponsered links while server was down. Sucks.

damn.....

not that i was planning to actually do that(although it was an option, i would prefer to do something else)
Powerline
Rep:
?
i dont know who clicked on the last option, but who here really has never experienced a busy server?
Powerline
Rep:
?
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I think what could explain this is that the database maybe hosted on a different server which can explain where there is no edivance of low bandwidth on the site.
Nicely said...
alocin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If it gives me the server busy page I usually go and play the penguin slap game for a couple of minutes, or watch the lion cartoon several times. Maybe that's how I got so addicted to it!
Ollie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
Sometimes it's 5 times, sometimes never, sometimes I've been clicking on and off for 5 mintues with no response. It's quite a bad rpoblem.
You realise you're making it worse do you?
iamalearner
Report 15 years ago
I think that refreshing it hard out doesn't help the problem but make it worse. And I don't think clickin gthe ads hard out helps either because your ip is reported and if they see you clciking all the ads, the ad network will probably suspend this site...
Powerline
Rep:
?
(Original post by iamalearner)
I think that refreshing it hard out doesn't help the problem but make it worse. And I don't think clickin gthe ads hard out helps either because your ip is reported and if they see you clciking all the ads, the ad network will probably suspend this site...
Ok...weve already had about 100 posts saying that already!
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.16%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.25%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (90)
19.61%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (185)
40.31%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.58%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.1%