The Student Room Group

Boyfriend or the guy from work. Please help.

Hi. I have a boyfriend and we've been together for a year and a half. I still care about him, but i'm starting to get bored and think it's time to call it a day. He hasn't done anything wrong, and he's so sweet to me, it's just the way I feel. Plus, there's this guy from work who I really gte on with. I've always sort of liked him, but recently he's told me he really likes me, but is gutted I have a boyfriend, so now my feelings for him are getting a bit more than jus liking him as a mate from work.
I know some of you are probably thinking "well finish with the boyfriend and get with the work guy." Well if it was that simple then I wouldn't be writing this thread. The problem is that my boyfriend is set to come on holiday with my family in July to Florida, so if we finish it'll cost my parents a lot of money, plus he'll lose money because he's already paid my parents about £400. So I don't know what to do.
Do I finish things now, or leave things as they are and decide once the holiday's over.
Please help guys.
A.x :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Might not be the best idea, but personally I'd leave it til after the hol then see how things are going & if they aren't going great do something then
So he works at McDs? Catch. :rolleyes:
Ron Stoppable
So he works at McDs? Catch. :rolleyes:

MAN HAS A POINT

but yeah go on holiday with your bf, thatll mix things up a bit for once and maybe youll find out that you do really like him or whatever.
*Claire*
Might not be the best idea, but personally I'd leave it til after the hol then see how things are going & if they aren't going great do something then

:ditto: that's what id do.
Reply 5
I think everyone comes to a stage at some point in their relationship where they feel bored, frusutrated, curious or whatever.
But often you can work past it and your back to where you were before, knowing your with the right person. (If you have been with this guy for a year and half and your still with him, something must be going right)
You should also consider that this guy from work, may not be all he is cracked out to be. It's not until you have been with someone for a while that you start seeing their true colours which is why you should try with your current boyfriend before calling it a day.
Take a look at your boyfriend next time your with him and think, do I really see myself being with this guy for a long time? What do I love about him?
Also, imagine what it would be like if he wasnt around.

Basically, don't jump ship because you have convinced yourself that it's sinking as it may not be. And Make sure the ship across the water( no matter how good looking and cool it is) doesn't already have a hole in it.

Let me know how it goes, sorry I couldn't give you a definite answer, but I think only you can do that.
Reply 6
Achilles13
I think everyone comes to a stage at some point in their relationship where they feel bored, frusutrated, curious or whatever.
But often you can work past it and your back to where you were before, knowing your with the right person. (If you have been with this guy for a year and half and your still with him, something must be going right)
You should also consider that this guy from work, may not be all he is cracked out to be. It's not until you have been with someone for a while that you start seeing their true colours which is why you should try with your current boyfriend before calling it a day.
Take a look at your boyfriend next time your with him and think, do I really see myself being with this guy for a long time? What do I love about him?
Also, imagine what it would be like if he wasnt around.

Basically, don't jump ship because you have convinced yourself that it's sinking as it may not be. And Make sure the ship across the water( no matter how good looking and cool it is) doesn't already have a hole in it.

Let me know how it goes, sorry I couldn't give you a definite answer, but I think only you can do that.

This is good advice. I get what you're saying but I've had these feelings bout the relationship being enough, but I've never done anything bcos I was always too scared I'd never meet anyone. That was basically because he has a major problem with me going out. But now, my life's changed a bit and I know that without him I'll still have a life.
I saw a movie. A dad said to his son :" Marriage is not all about love, passion and excitement, it needs tolerance and understanding, and it involves a special friendship that has been built up as time pass." I'm sure this apply to your relationship with your boyfriend as well. You might not find it exciting after you have been with the same guy for 1 and a half year. But the relationship has last this long, and should have something special in it.
Aimee050589
This is good advice. I get what you're saying but I've had these feelings bout the relationship being enough, but I've never done anything bcos I was always too scared I'd never meet anyone. That was basically because he has a major problem with me going out. But now, my life's changed a bit and I know that without him I'll still have a life.

A major problem with you going out? I'm loosing sympathy for him now. It sounds like you are making the right choice to me. I would dump him before the holiday. ASAP even. Someone else could moving in on your co-worker while you are on holiday! life back home does not stay static while we go abroad unfortunately :redface: .

Jaded
Reply 9
JadedHippy
A major problem with you going out? I'm loosing sympathy for him now. It sounds like you are making the right choice to me. I would dump him before the holiday. ASAP even. Someone else could moving in on your co-worker while you are on holiday! life back home does not stay static while we go abroad unfortunately :redface: .

Jaded

This true but I don't want to cause the upset with my parents over them losing like £800 on the holiday, and even him losing his £400 cos he doesn't earn much to have to save this for a holiday. But I'm just hoping i can manage till after the holiday if these feelings continue. I want the guy from work though but at the same time i can't finish with the boyfriend yet. And someone suggested steer things dwn with the boyfriend % get it going with the guy from work. but that's cheating and my boyfriend doesn't deserve that, cos I know he loves me even if i don't feel the same about him. Hmph. I hate relationships & all these stupid feelings
Reply 10
I know this isn't the most romantic solution, but I think you ought to wait until after the holiday.

One thing I will say (because it's really difficult for someone who doesn't know your situation to give much advice) is that you might keep thinking about the guy from work later on and regret that nothing happened. However, that isn't the most reliable piece of advice to go on.

Don't cheat on him; you'll feel really bad about it afterwards and, as cliche as this sounds (so cliched that I'm cringing as I write it, but it's true) it's cheating on yourself. You'll just feel so guilty. Well, you will if you're anything like me, but that's nothing to do with this thread. I had a sort of similar problem, except no obligations, with my ex-boyfriend and so my current relationship had a less-than-auspicious beginning.
Reply 11
Bit of an update.
I've decided to stay with the bf will after the holiday. The guy from works knows this, and is fine about waiting.
But... MAJOR PROBLEM.
The guy from work kissed me. And I didn't exactly stop it. And now I feel terrible, but can't help how I feel about the guy from work.
Reply 12
Well, I would leave it till after the holidays. Maybe you guys need to go away and see how it goes.
...I feel so sorry for your boyfriend.
Reply 14
But I feel that the relationship is dead. But still, I feel absolutely terrible.
I can't help the way I feel. If there was no holiday, then I would finish it with the boyfriend. But I don't want to lose my parents money, but more importantly I don't want to hurt him by finishing with him AND losing him all that money too.
Reply 15
Biffy Clyro
...I feel so sorry for your boyfriend.

2nd that :frown:
Aimee050589
This true but I don't want to cause the upset with my parents over them losing like £800 on the holiday, and even him losing his £400 cos he doesn't earn much to have to save this for a holiday. But I'm just hoping i can manage till after the holiday if these feelings continue. I want the guy from work though but at the same time i can't finish with the boyfriend yet. And someone suggested steer things dwn with the boyfriend % get it going with the guy from work. but that's cheating and my boyfriend doesn't deserve that, cos I know he loves me even if i don't feel the same about him. Hmph. I hate relationships & all these stupid feelings

I think you are focusing on the money aspect too much. How do you think your parents will feel when they realise you were thinking about breaking with him for the entire of the holiday? Your boyfriend too? I just think a giant pool of unhappiness is being filled for the sake of a few hundred pounds. I understand you also don't want to ruin the holiday, but your parents and boyfriend will have to live with the sour memories for the rest of their lives. Also your own feeling too are being hurt by the deceit.

Jaded
Reply 17
JadedHippy
I think you are focusing on the money aspect too much. How do you think your parents will feel when they realise you were thinking about breaking with him for the entire of the holiday? Your boyfriend too? I just think a giant pool of unhappiness is being filled for the sake of a few hundred pounds. I understand you also don't want to ruin the holiday, but your parents and boyfriend will have to live with the sour memories for the rest of their lives. Also your own feeling too are being hurt by the deceit.

Jaded

Well I don't really know what to say or do now.
I'll just have to see how things go.
I feel absolutly awful about everything though, guilty as hell for what I'm doing to the boyfriend, and bad for the guy at work because even thought I've told him I've got a boyfriend and can't finish with him for like 10 weeks, he's said he's prepared to wait for me.
Reply 18
aww well i would give it time. Its not worth giving up something special just like that. Listen to your heart. Its the best advice anyone can give.
Aimee050589
Hi. I have a boyfriend and we've been together for a year and a half. I still care about him, but i'm starting to get bored and think it's time to call it a day. He hasn't done anything wrong, and he's so sweet to me, it's just the way I feel.

God, here we go again......

And the guy from work knew you had a boyfriend, but still kissed you? Sounds a complete and utter t**t; perhaps the sort of person you deserve.

Latest

Trending

Trending