Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’ve got 4 offers and really can’t decide which to go with. I looked at all of them before applying and again after receiving offers. If I don’t make a decision soon, I won’t get into halls. Does anyone have any other comments/ concerns themselves with the following any of the unis? I have been looking at the forums and found the following info as well as info from open days.

Glasgow School of Art offer ABB – like the balanced art and technical course, having own desk, mixing with art students, staff very approachable. Concerns as there are no sports facilities, can only use the gym as stopped by Glasgow Uni, so no team sports or clubs. Not many hall rooms. Are they genuinely good or do they ride on Mackintosh connection? You don’t get an Honours degree unless you do Part 2 there/Scotland and not many qualify to go on to Part 2 according to an ex student.

Liverpool offer ABB down from AAA, great studio space and own desk, beautiful architecture in the city, staff very approachable, course options. Concerns It seems that there will be about 250 students in years 2 and 3 so will there be enough space in workshops and studios. Also wonder if feel of the place will be different with over 60% not being from the UK, could there be language problems and then course has to run at a slower pace? Most halls are off campus and catered so challenges having meal late or going back on bus to city centre when working late in studio. All the other offers posted are ABB, has anyone been asked for AAA, I know Liverpool went to clearing?

Oxford Brookes, offer AAB like the course set up and the new open department, staff very approachable. Concerns about expensive halls and then finding private accommodation expensive in year 2/3. The students I spoke with seem to be mainly there on their insurance choice, although they came across as really liking it there. Old poly?

Nottingham offer AAA or A*AB like the campus feel and course, living on campus means can easily go back to studios after evening meal, uni has a good reputation not just for architecture. Free materials and 1st year trip. Concerns not enough studio/workshop space, not met staff - only person giving the talk both times.

If I don’t accept GSA or
    OB (both high in AJ100) would I not be offered a place on the Part 2? Do employers not in the AJ100 even consider the list?

Which uni will be best for a career in architecture in terms of knowledge, employers and reputation?

I have wanted to do this for years and have done work experience etc and am fully aware of the slog and low pay and think its highly unlikely that I will change career direction and not do Part 2 or stay long term in the job, despite there being few jobs around but who knows?

ReputationRep:
    I was torn for a long time between Northumbria and Oxford Brookes. In fact, your concern about OB was one of the main ones I had I ended up choosing Northumbria purely because i felt more comfortable when i went there for my interview and everything just seemed 'right' (sounds silly, but it did!!) I looked at http://university.which.co.uk/search...FdHLtAod2WQAww and http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/ to give me stats so i could compare them easily too

I can't really help an awful lot, as I only applied to OB out of all of those options, but I did get the feeling with them that they were highly thought of by employers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amber_24)
    I was torn for a long time between Northumbria and Oxford Brookes. In fact, your concern about OB was one of the main ones I had I ended up choosing Northumbria purely because i felt more comfortable when i went there for my interview and everything just seemed 'right' (sounds silly, but it did!!) I looked at http://university.which.co.uk/search...FdHLtAod2WQAww and http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/ to give me stats so i could compare them easily too

I can't really help an awful lot, as I only applied to OB out of all of those options, but I did get the feeling with them that they were highly thought of by employers.
    Thanks for your reply. I think they are highly rated but its so expensive in Oxford and they don't offer any help with materials etc, which would help. Did you have an interview at OB?
    All the best at Northumbria which I also looked at. The staff came across as sincere and very helpful, I liked how the first year was with the interior's.

ReputationRep:
    The universities you have mentioned I looked at GSA and Nottingham.
    Personally I would go for GSA. Very concentrated on design and art throughout the university and being surrounded by so much inspiration.
    Plus high reputation.

It depends on what you want from the university.

The best advice I have heard so far was from an architecture student:
    "you will enjoy any course of architecture if you are passionate and you will generally have a good experience of teaching anywhere if it is regarded well. Just decide on location and feel."

I am still deciding between Nottingham for Architecture and Environmental Design and Newcastle for architecture.

Nottingham has that extra year of more engineering and I would really enjoy that, however I didn't really like the lecturer or the place very much. Plus Nottingham doesn't have an art department.

Newcastle is without extra year and is further away from London, however it right next to art department and was beautiful and both lecturers were really interesting and passionate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissNoface)
    The universities you have mentioned I looked at GSA and Nottingham.
    Personally I would go for GSA. Very concentrated on design and art throughout the university and being surrounded by so much inspiration.
    Plus high reputation.

It depends on what you want from the university.

The best advice I have heard so far was from an architecture student:
    "you will enjoy any course of architecture if you are passionate and you will generally have a good experience of teaching anywhere if it is regarded well. Just decide on location and feel."

I am still deciding between Nottingham for Architecture and Environmental Design and Newcastle for architecture.

Nottingham has that extra year of more engineering and I would really enjoy that, however I didn't really like the lecturer or the place very much. Plus Nottingham doesn't have an art department.

Newcastle is without extra year and is further away from London, however it right next to art department and was beautiful and both lecturers were really interesting and passionate.
    Thanks for your reply.

I really took to Glasgow and Liverpool as cities, that's the problem and Oxford too but there was definitely a more art focus at GSA.

Speaking with the students at Nottingham, they loved the course but the ones doing the combined course didn't know which way they would go, yet more decisions, maybe!

It's so difficult isn't it, especially with the high costs of architecture courses. Just want to get it right.

I wonder how many others are still deciding?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by time4T)
    Thanks for your reply. I think they are highly rated but its so expensive in Oxford and they don't offer any help with materials etc, which would help. Did you have an interview at OB?
    All the best at Northumbria which I also looked at. The staff came across as sincere and very helpful, I liked how the first year was with the interior's.
    No problem Yeah money was a big worry with OB!! I did have an interview, I had to rush off so didn't have time to look around as much (though i had looked around before) as I live hours away and parents were dodging rush hour It was really nice though, as was Oxford.

Thank you!! Indeed, they were lovely and extremely helpful, I hope you choose soon, and good luck with whichever you choose!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.