Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if there is anyone who can explain the following defintion I have of perpendicularity condition in a way that I can understand. In my text book it reads:

perpendicularity condition:
    If two lines are perpendicular, then either the product of their slopes is -1 or one has slope 0 and the other has inficine slope.

Busy with circles at the moment. I've worked out the segment of the line and my answer is 3. But using the perpendicularity condition, the slope is therefore -1/3.

I'm grateful for any help.

Thanks
    JB
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by JB01)
    I was wondering if there is anyone who can explain the following defintion I have of perpendicularity condition in a way that I can understand. In my text book it reads:

perpendicularity condition:
    If two lines are perpendicular, then either the product of their slopes is -1 or one has slope 0 and the other has inficine slope.

Busy with circles at the moment. I've worked out the segment of the line and my answer is 3. But using the perpendicularity condition, the slope is therefore -1/3.

I'm grateful for any help.

Thanks
    JB
    Do you know how to work out the tangent of the angle between 2 straight lines in terms of the gradients of those lines? If you've seen that demonstrated, then you can see that as the angle between the lines approaches 90 degrees, then the product of their gradients must approach -1.

Edit: oh, and the condition about 0 and infinity is to deal with the special case where one of the lines is horizontal and the other vertical!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.