The Student Room Group

Need help

Hi,

BEFORE I START, THIS IS PRETTY LONG, BUT PLEASE READ AND GIVE THOUGHTS THANKSSSS!

Basically, I'm currently retaking a year of my GCSES, and I'll be receiving the results for my retakes in August 2013. I'm retaking as I obtained the following grades at my 1st time BCCCCCCDDE. I wasn't happy with these grades at all!

I've now realized my mistake and I am now predicted mostly A*grades for my retake GCSES and have got potential to obtain high grades in August.

I would like to study Dentistry, I know it's highly competitive, but I've emailed Manchester University and they said

"You retaking GCSES is not a bad thing to do, in fact we would see this as a brave and practical move to make, good luck and I hope you'll meet the requirements for Dentistry."

If I was to have the following academic record below, what would my chances be of me obtaining a place in Dentistry at either Glasgow,Manchester,Leeds or Queen Mary University?

GCSE GRADES

English Literature- A*
English Language-A*
Maths-A*
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A*
Physics-A*
Geography-A*
German-A*
RE-A*
Business- C
ICT-C

AS Levels (I know that A Levels are hard, but I'll try my hardest!)

Biology-A
Chemistry-A
Maths-A
Geography-A

A2 Predictions

Biology-A*
Chemistry-A*
Maths-A*

Also, I'm never done Sociology GCSE, but I heard it's pretty easy would you say 24 hours of revision is enough split over time to learn the material so that I could obtain an A* in it? 24 hours (12hrs on each exam revision)

Reply 1
Hey!
I may not be the most knowledgable person to be answering... But it seems i'm all you've got right now! :biggrin:
Haha firstly, good on you for trying to improve on your grades, you'll be thankful in the future!
Secondly, if you do succeed in attaining those grades, I don't see why you wouldn't get into a good university. However, remember everyone can do well academically and they probably will. You need to set yourself apart by getting plenty of experience and taking part in lots of extra curricular activities.

Also, if your question regarding sociology is GCSE ... Ah. I take it for GCSE, if its a retake you could probably revise it in 12 hours, however if you're starting afresh, i'd be weary. There are 3 topics in each unit and much to cover (assuming you're doing the same board as myself)... I'd give a little more time to each. Although it could be picked up quite easily, depend entirely on you an how you learn best!

Good luck in your endeavours!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest