Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi ! I have no idea at all how to apply for PhD. So, I know that I need to write few pages long of proposal to submit and look for supervisor. Problem is that, do I have to come out with a new topic for my own research and look for a professor from every university and I have to pay for the fees ? Or there are available title in University that has supervisor, all I need to do is to write a proposal based on the given title and I do not need to pay?

I desperately need help.

I've done BSc Biochemistry and MSc Molecular Medical Microbiology. I would like to continue in this field - Molecular Biology/ Microbiology/ Proteins.

My prefer country of PhD is USA, UK, Denmark, Germany. Of course you do come across any other country that provide better opportunity, it will also be helpful if you could let me know.

ReputationRep:
    Molecular Biology/Microbiology/Proteins are still huge fields. What aspect of it interests you or what aspect are you wanting to work in? There may not be just one!

With science based PhDs you tend to apply for projects advertised by supervisors. This is more to do with issues with funding and ethical agendas, where it takes rather a long time to get things approved. Although some life sciences, and by this I do mean the more pure life sciences not medical sciences, do consider proposals.

The vast majority of positions in the UK will begin to be advertised Oct until Mar/Apr. Positions are advertised throughout the year but the majority fall within this window.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    findaphd.com is your best friend. Most UK PhDs and some international ones are advertised there with information about who to contact with questions and funding.

ReputationRep:
    thanks !

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.