Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got a social though experiment for you:

Imagine if humanity was suddenly, miraculously, divided into two halves evenly distributed throughout each of the world's countries and through class and race. One half remains exactly the same as they have always been. The other gains an innate, natural ability that means a woman can only become pregnant when both the male and female consciously want to have a baby. In other words the new half will never need to use contraception and will only have children when they plan to. There would be no accidental babies. The two halves are now seperate species and can not interbreed successfully.

The question is which new species would be more successful? In 100, 1,000 or a million years? Would one outlast the other? Is the new ability a bonus or negative for the species as a whole?

ReputationRep:
    Interesting

But the simple answer is that the ones who dont need a conscious desire to have a baby will have a bigger population.

Morally, the new ability would be great, however biologically it would be a negative.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by kunoichi)
    Interesting

But the simple answer is that the ones who dont need a conscious desire to have a baby will have a bigger population.

Morally, the new ability would be great, however biologically it would be a negative.
    On the other hand, this would mean the ones with the conscious desire would be putting less of a strain on their resources, so would be more sustainable, in theory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    On the other hand, this would mean the ones with the conscious desire would be putting less of a strain on their resources, so would be more sustainable, in theory
    Very true

I think it would be much better if humans had this ability, we wouldnt have any unwanted pregnancies, it would possibly strengthen relationships and maybe improve parenthood, and also be a good way of reducing massive population increase.

ReputationRep:
    Is that what Commander Shepherd told you?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by rcummins1)
    Is that what Commander Shepherd told you?
    I cannot think of a suitable quote to reply to this with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kunoichi)
    Very true

I think it would be much better if humans had this ability, we wouldnt have any unwanted pregnancies, it would possibly strengthen relationships and maybe improve parenthood, and also be a good way of reducing massive population increase.

Don't forget the two groups would still interact. Do you think the new species would slowly become more economically and socially higher? Even if their numbers were not higher?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    Don't forget the two groups would still interact. Do you think the new species would slowly become more economically and socially higher? Even if their numbers were not higher?
    Oh, I didn't realise they'd still interact. I think they'd have a more stable society/economy, but with a smaller population, their economy would probably be slower growing

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I didn't realise they'd still interact. I think they'd have a more stable society/economy, but with a smaller population, their economy would probably be slower growing
    I meant in the original post that the change in species is sudden and random so the split is across countries, social and economical groups. Would the new species slowly move up the social ladder as they would be able to provide for their children better.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    I meant in the original post that the change in species is sudden and random so the split is across countries, social and economical groups. Would the new species slowly move up the social ladder as they would be able to provide for their children better.
    Ah, I see

To a degree, I think that would be the case. But at the same time, you can consciously want a baby without necessarily being in an economically viable place for having one

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.