y=g(t)

Does that help?
    No, I've never covered g(y) or y=g(t)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Malawi)
    No, I've never covered g(y) or y=g(t)
    Have you not covered this in class? This question looks like a piece of standard bookwork to be honest - you should have a chapter in your FP1 book that covers the parametric forms of ellipse, parabola and hyperbola, and various ways of working out the tangent and normal in terms of the parameter t.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    Have you not covered this in class? This question looks like a piece of standard bookwork to be honest - you should have a chapter in your FP1 book that covers the parametric forms of ellipse, parabola and hyperbola, and various ways of working out the tangent and normal in terms of the parameter t.
    I've covered this in class and correctly answered many questions similar to this one but I can't seem to do this one. I have tried using the Cartesian equation y^2=4ax and the parametric equations y=2at and x=at^2. I tried subbing in the parametric x equation into the Cartesian equation to get rid of a and then I differentiated and found the gradient and then found the gradient of the normal and put it into (y1-y2)=m(x1-x2). This didn't work so I tried it again but instead I made an equation out of the two parametric equations and then differentiated and so on but this still didn't give me the correct equation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I've covered this in class and correctly answered many questions similar to this one but I can't seem to do this one. I have tried using the Cartesian equation y^2=4ax and the parametric equations y=2at and x=at^2. I tried subbing in the parametric x equation into the Cartesian equation to get rid of a and then I differentiated and found the gradient and then found the gradient of the normal and put it into (y1-y2)=m(x1-x2). This didn't work so I tried it again but instead I made an equation out of the two parametric equations and then differentiated and so on but this still didn't give me the correct equation.
    You do remember parametric differentiation, right?

Let me give you an example:

All points on a curve have coordinates

\left(2t, 3t^2 \right)

This means that

x=2t, y=3t^2

\dfrac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{6t}{2} = 3t

This is the same kind of thing!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Have you tried this again using the hint from indeterminate?

For this example, you know that dy/dt = 9/2 and dx/dt = (9/2)t, so the chain rule tells you that gradient of tangent = dy/dx = (dy/dt) / (dx/dt) = (9/2) / ((9/2)t) = 1/t.

So for the tangent at V you know that y = (1/t)x + c for some c which you can find by subbing the coordinates of V back into this equation.

Now follow the same logic for the normal at V (you know how the gradient of a normal relates to the gradient of a tangent) and you should be able to get the answer to part (a).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    Have you tried this again using the hint from indeterminate?

For this example, you know that dy/dt = 9/2 and dx/dt = (9/2)t, so the chain rule tells you that gradient of tangent = dy/dx = (dy/dt) / (dx/dt) = (9/2) / ((9/2)t) = 1/t.

So for the tangent at V you know that y = (1/t)x + c for some c which you can find by subbing the coordinates of V back into this equation.

Now follow the same logic for the normal at V (you know how the gradient of a normal relates to the gradient of a tangent) and you should be able to get the answer to part (a).
    No.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 18, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.