Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi

my dell 5150 desktop recently started getting the blinking amber light. when the psu isn't connected to motherboard everything runs well (fan,hard drive, memory, dvd drive) but the amber light stays solid rather than blinking. when I plug in the psu wire into motherboard everything switches off and the amber light starts blinking. on the motherboard there is a green light that stays on all the time exept when I take off the plug. how can I fix this ? shall I buy a new PSU ? found one : Delta DPS-250AB-22 A REV. 250 W

what do you guys think ?

thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thaistick)
    hi

my dell 5150 desktop recently started getting the blinking amber light. when the psu isn't connected to motherboard everything runs well (fan,hard drive, memory, dvd drive) but the amber light stays solid rather than blinking. when I plug in the psu wire into motherboard everything switches off and the amber light starts blinking. on the motherboard there is a green light that stays on all the time exept when I take off the plug. how can I fix this ? shall I buy a new PSU ? found one : Delta DPS-250AB-22 A REV. 250 W

what do you guys think ?

thanks guys
    How can everything run well with out a psu?
    Or are you using a alternative psu or are you just running everything apart from the mobo on the psu?

As far as i'm aware, amber light comes on quite a bit on dells and in particular because the psu is dying.........get a decent maker of psu's to buy it from.

ReputationRep:
    [SIZE=1]Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZ

Psu is connected to motherboard (20 pin connector) only when that is plugged in everything starts running as in I can hear the fan spinning, hard drive works, I can use the dvd drive but orange light stays solid amber. THEN when I plug in the 4pin p2 everything comes to a halt ane basically shuts down and amber light starts flashing also I hear a sort of electricty noise and a small spark when I connect. What do you think of this also ? http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...id=57965418314

ReputationRep:
    [SIZE=1]Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZ

Psu is connected to motherboard (20 pin connector) only when that is plugged in everything starts running as in I can hear the fan spinning, hard drive works, I can use the dvd drive but orange light stays solid amber. THEN when I plug in the 4pin p2 everything comes to a halt ane basically shuts down and amber light starts flashing also I hear a sort of electricty noise and a small spark when I connect. What do you think of this also ? http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...id=57965418314
    The 4 pin is the cpu fan.............it probably is unable to cope with the required voltage and so is shut downing.
    Its generic, but seeing as you don't need much its fine.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

When I put in the 4pin everything shuts off completely. What do you suggest ?

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

4 pin being the CPU fan? (4 in a row) Or the 12v? (2 by 2)

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as I'm aware the amber light on a dell, for most people is because there psu is having problems or its dying. If thats the case, it means that your psu is dying, so is unable to cope the power required for your system hence why it shuts down. 4pin as in the one above the cpu?Name:  asus_at3n7ai_mobo4.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  71.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking I should get a new psu then ? Yes the same as the pc you have attached

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking I should get a new psu then ? Yes the same as the pc you have attached
    Its the most obvious solution, as the motherboard seems to work, etc so it doesn't look like any issue apart from the psu giving up when you try to power on the cpu as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Its the most obvious solution, as the motherboard seems to work, etc so it doesn't look like any issue apart from the psu giving up when you try to power on the cpu as well.
    thanks mate. what do you think of this one here ? http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...id=57965418314

ReputationRep:
    thanks mate. what do you think of this one here ? http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...id=57965418314
    Well its a generic make, your parts are generic so it should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Well its a generic make, your parts are generic so it should be fine
    thanks mate, will order this. hopefully it will work

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.