Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many of you guys get study leave? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I've switched sixth form and have found out that we don't get any study leave! Was just wondering how many of you get study leave, and if not, do you think this is a disadvantage?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I've never had study leave and I don't think that it's a disadvantage at all- it works out to pretty much the same amount of spare time with free lessons and exams already sat freeing up lesson time- and there's the added bonus of having teachers on hand to help!

ReputationRep:
    I don't but I wish I did, only for like a few days. Although, I do organise my revision sessions, sometimes some things take longer to cover than expected so I end up getting behind with it. A few days at least would help me catch up on that revision. However, there IS half term coming soon I think & the weekends so it should be okay.

ReputationRep:
    I had study leave during my GCSEs and don't get any study leave for my AS-levels this summer. To be honest, I prefer being at college. I'm more productive. I got so fed up during the Easter break, alone with a mountain of work to do. Plus, the advantage of being at college during this time is that the tutors are there if you need to ask for help So I prefer it this way, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Nope But then again, I'm a private candidate. But yeah, I still have to fit revision in around my full time job.

I think study leave is a bit pointless anyway. Unless you're a hardcore study-er (like alot on TSR, it seems) then you'll just get distracted anyway. I know we all did when I was at school. Spent more time enjoying the nice weather, going drinking and sleeping in late to get anything productive done.

ReputationRep:
    study leave all the way, i really enjoy it and i find it worthwhile, you can always pop in when you used to have lessons to see teachers if you have any issues although admittedly:
    - i've never known any different
    - many people seem to abuse it
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I don't and being at school is a waste of time. The teachers are useless now and they're always out of phase with my revision. Plus I concentrate less in lessons.

ReputationRep:
    Yes our school does get study leave. I am in 6th year so I don't return to school after study leave which starts on 2nd May and usually lasts until about June.

Quite a few people on here have said that it is pointless or the same as being in school but in my opinion it really helps me. I find that trying to study in school on my free periods off is extremely distracting as your friends are always near so you always talk with them and look at your phone.

Personally, i know for a fact that if i get up early on study leave (say 8.00-9.00) and study during the day with a few breaks, with the peace and quite of my own room, then i get through a lot more than i would at school.

ReputationRep:
    During study leave, I often find myself:

- Making tea/coffee/hot chocolate every 30 minutes because I can't study without a hot drink at hand

- Fiddling with Poweramp to change tracks

- Googling lyrics then consequently downloading tracks I heard off Choice FM before syncing it to my phone

- Going on Facebook/Twitter to check the news feed every now and then

- Deciding I need a break after 15 minutes of solid revision, before watching something on Dave/Comedy Central for like an hour or so

Basically, at school there's less distractions and that's the environment I prefer for studying effectively. While we do get study leave, we can still go into school and study in the LRC/library as in when we please. No registration required.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I find that the pressure of time that having to go to school & revise afterwards is better than being at home. Like when I get back from school, I know I have no time to waste, so I get right to it & stick at it whereas if I'm at home all day, I'll just procrastinate. I'll probably end up bunking the useless lessons to get a bit more time to revise but generally I prefer having school for as long as possible - ideally up to a week before my exams, no sooner.

ReputationRep:
    Us Year 13's get study leave...it starts the day after we break up for half term, although many people have their exams before this date, so some consider it pointless anyway! I like it though: lie-ins; study when you want; more relaxed atmosphere at home. I can understand why others may not like it though as it is easy to get distracted. Apart from revision, I have no idea what I'm going to do during it! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I use lessons as a break from revision to be honest at the moment... I just get distracted and the teachers are pretty pointless. Study leave is virtually essential for me

ReputationRep:
    We hace about four weeks of study leave during the exam period.

I prefer it really - you can organise time based on what subjects you feel you need to concentrate on. Also I jist find mysslf getting distracted at revision lessons at school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I get study leave, and though I do get distracted, I still find it 10 times more productive than going into school. Even if I faff around on the internet or take the dog for a walk or something, which I wouldn't be able to do at school, it clears my head then for starting revision again. I just find the school environment so incredibly stressful with Year 9s shrieking and never being able to wash your hands in the toilets for all the girls reapplying the 17th layer of foundation etc etc etc. I'd be really angry if school said we weren't allowed study leave.

ReputationRep:
    I get 6 weeks of study leave.

ReputationRep:
    Yep I'm on study leave. I think it's good to have study leave because you have the benefit of having your own personal working space without other people distracting you. Most people I have frees with never do anything in their frees and instead talk in the common room which I myself end up doing - I get distracted so easily. The library is always full so I just give up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    AS people broke up on the 10th for study leave and A2 will be breaking up this Friday I find that I do more work when on study leave as it takes me a while to really start concentrating and even though I wont be revising every day I still do more work on the few days than I would do in lessons. In lessons our teachers basically tell us how to revise and their ways never work for me :x .. also our lessons are just one hour long and time tables have no structure at all so it's really hard to concentrate in the time available.

ReputationRep:
    i had study leave for 248 days (i was expelled for alcohol)

ReputationRep:
    At my school we usually get study leave but it depends what the head decides each year. I prefer being at home when I have important exams, because I like having my own space, and don't have friends distracting me as often but I feel more motivated when I'm at school & like the fact I can pop up and see teachers very easily about any problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For GCSE, we got from middle of May all the way until September (we didn't have to go back to lessons afterwards, obviously).

I'm currently on study leave (doing AS Levels): we started last Monday (but most of my friends had all of their exams that week so I don't know what that's all about) and we've got until 6th June before we have to go back and start A2.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.