Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone
    Does anybody knows about the reputation of this course especially in MSc?
    I have received a conditional offer from the university in Oil and Gas engineering so I'd be very happy if anybody help me.Thanks)

ReputationRep:
    Sup , i wanna apply soon for Sep 2014 Msc Oil and Gas Engineering at RGU , wen did u apply ?

ReputationRep:
    University fo Aberdeen has a better reputation

ReputationRep:
    As I know University of Aberdeen, and overally City of Aberdeen itself, is considered to be Petroleum Capital of Europe...so reputation is world-renowed

ReputationRep:
    Current RGU student attending the OGE/Drilling/Petroleum Production programs.

As of now, the experience is very unpleasant. The professors/lecturers are not dedicated at all.

I would advise University of Aberdeen or HW ... seriously.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean the lecturers are not dedicated?

ReputationRep:
    Limited RGU staff lecturers, most of them are people from outside on temporary/contract basis. These lecturers just come to babble, waste time and go to their other projects, , and therefore are not available to respond to student queries. The actual staff are just course co-ordinators, and their job is to 'teach' the online distance students ... by posting old/current recorded lecture videos. The recording person is usually asleep during the lecturers, so those are total waste anyway ... poor audio and video.

Leave up practice questions without solutions.. which are not comprehensive.

Their notes do not match what they teach in classes. Study material references are not concise and relevant. Students have to dig through tonnes of books to find a relevant part of the course material.

ReputationRep:
    Are you serious? I have already applied for this course in September 2014 and still waiting 4 reply from RGU, what about employment rate 4 d students of RGU is it really high ? Are u studying full time oil and gas engineering ? thanks 4 info .

ReputationRep:
    Full time.

I would say try for Heriott Watt if you want. Employment rates were good (~97%? for the WHOLE university - note though that the engineering, specifically the number of petroleum students is kinda small). The majority of students are health sciences, business, architecture. In their PPE/DE/OGE programs, like over 90% of the students are from Africa. I guess most of them eventually go back and a small number of them are hired here.

A couple of companies just flat out refuse to consider your application (eg Baker and Hughes) you, because your not from the EU/UK and cannot work full time (overseas students can 20hs per week instead of 40hrs). That would apply to any place in the UK though. I cant really say that getting into RGU would improve your chances on employment, any better than HW, if your an overseas student.

I was kinda surprised, that RGU dont even have a dedicated "Engineering" building. Its just one floor of a building for health sciences... sad.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks , sorry for my questions . I wanted to know , to get a place for ODE in RGU is it very competitive , since u applied for d same course and you already studying there , guess you know on what grounds do they give offer to students for this program. As for me , i submitted all the required documents and oil and gas training cert from Energy Institute. HW is good as u said but i heard that uni is very difficult to get admission .

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have an engineering degree (on good standing), good IETLS results, I guess they will take you in - doesnt matter what discipline. Going by some of the course-works submitted by some of the students this year, I dont even think they care about the IELTS part as the english is horrible in those papers.... they just accepted everyone it seems. Idk how these papers get past the external examiners, who later check all this stuff. Either my standards are too high, or something is fishy.

The number of students this year was 150, about three times as much as last year. They didnt have classrooms to fit the number of students and had to book a cinema for the students (pathetic). Their excuse was "we just accepted all offers, and expected half of them not to respond". That should give you an idea about the competition and screening of applications.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much, I appreciate you answering all my questions.

ReputationRep:
    Hi to everyone! I would like to help me! I have got an un condiotional offer for Msc Oil and Gas engineering from university of Aberdeen and from RGU. Also i got an uncoditional offer for Msc Oil and Gas technology from Heriot Watt University. I am from EU nation. Which of them its better to choose? the criteria for me is the career prospects( i would like to work either in europe or in Dubai-Qatar) and the quality of the courses! please help me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by labratha)
    Hi to everyone! I would like to help me! I have got an un condiotional offer for Msc Oil and Gas engineering from university of Aberdeen and from RGU. Also i got an uncoditional offer for Msc Oil and Gas technology from Heriot Watt University. I am from EU nation. Which of them its better to choose? the criteria for me is the career prospects( i would like to work either in europe or in Dubai-Qatar) and the quality of the courses! please help me!

Hello, It seems we are almost the same, I have an offer for both Uni of Aberdeen (oil and gas engineering) and HW (oil and gas technology). Am going to Uni of Aberdeen because the Uni has a higher reputation in the world than RGU and HW, the oil and gas engineering course at d Uni of Aberdeen is accredited by both Imeche (Institution of Mechanical Engineers) and Energy Institute that means the quality of the course is very good since it is accredited my two professional engineering societies. Oil and gas technology in HW is rather a new course, so I am not so sure about the quality of the course. I guess you should take a look at the modules offered by the three Universities. My advice to you is, go to Uni of Aberdeen.

ReputationRep:
    thank you very much for the quick reply. to be honest when i looked the courses from RGU and the uni of Aberdeen i saw that probably the RGU courses are more interesting. pfff I am very confused....

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen > HW > RGU
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    thank you very much for the quick reply. to be honest when i looked the courses from RGU and the uni of Aberdeen i saw that probably the RGU courses are more interesting. pfff I am very confused....
    If you prefer the RGU course then go there. One good thing about the RGU course is that it has been on the go for many, many years now (it used to be called offshore engineering) so there are a lot of people in industry, quite high up, that have done the course. I think the Aberdeen course is still relatively new, i.e. within the last five years, so it's not quite as well established yet.

Although, if RGU are going to charge you a lot more than Aberdeen, then I'd go to Aberdeen and save some money.

ReputationRep:
    We've got a saying in Germany, paper is patient, i.e. it may look more interesting but that may very well be because RGU just takes more care when it comes to spelling things out. I'd take a single recount of a current student's experience over anything the marketing department of a relatively low-ranked university has written - see catinahat's contribution here.

(Original post by Smack)
    If you prefer the RGU course then go there. One good thing about the RGU course is that it has been on the go for many, many years now (it used to be called offshore engineering) so there are a lot of people in industry, quite high up, that have done the course. I think the Aberdeen course is still relatively new, i.e. within the last five years, so it's not quite as well established yet.

Although, if RGU are going to charge you a lot more than Aberdeen, then I'd go to Aberdeen and save some money.
    Just wondering whether this is guesswork or you know for sure where graduates from RGU's programme are now and how highly they think of the programme.

Whether Aberdeen's MSc programme is new or not shouldn't matter much as Aberdeen generally has a relatively good name and good connections in the Oil & Gas sector.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by c2uk)
    Just wondering whether this is guesswork or you know for sure where graduates from RGU's programme are now and how highly they think of the programme.

Whether Aberdeen's MSc programme is new or not shouldn't matter much as Aberdeen generally has a relatively good name and good connections in the Oil & Gas sector.
    I work in industry and know of a lot of people, some of whom very high up now, who have done the MSc in oil & gas/offshore engineering. In reality the core content of both degrees looks very similar, although the Aberdeen one seems to have a slightly greater subsurface focus, whereas the RGU one has a slightly broader engineering focus.

Aberdeen has a good name and connections, but so does RGU. One good thing about RGU is that it really tries hard to ensure good employer contact, which is reflected in the amount of employers that turned up the careers fairs I was at there, and the amount that visit the campus and who offer scholarships to undergrads. Not worth paying thousands of pounds extra for, if that's what they're charging (I know RGU can be on the pricey side compared to Aberdeen), but it's definitely something to think about, especially if the course is also more appealing too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I work in industry and know of a lot of people, some of whom very high up now, who have done the MSc in oil & gas/offshore engineering. In reality the core content of both degrees looks very similar, although the Aberdeen one seems to have a slightly greater subsurface focus, whereas the RGU one has a slightly broader engineering focus.

Aberdeen has a good name and connections, but so does RGU. One good thing about RGU is that it really tries hard to ensure good employer contact, which is reflected in the amount of employers that turned up the careers fairs I was at there, and the amount that visit the campus and who offer scholarships to undergrads. Not worth paying thousands of pounds extra for, if that's what they're charging (I know RGU can be on the pricey side compared to Aberdeen), but it's definitely something to think about, especially if the course is also more appealing too.
    Always good to know whether somebody really knows what he's talking about or not - but how do you explain the poor experience of the current student in this thread? Based on that, and a few other things I've heard about RGU - though admittedly in a different field, I wouldn't go anywhere near that programme.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.