Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello there

I self taught AS Maths in 4months and I would say I am pretty confident I could get an A overall at AS in my 3 exams in June.

I was planning to self teach C3 and S1 over summer and make a start on C4. This is so I can concentrate on my 3 other subjects during A2 and not have to worry about Maths.

How big is the jump from AS to A2? I am not worried about S1 but it's C3 and C4 that I would have worries about.

Any ideas? I heard the jump is pretty substantial

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upthegunners)
    Hello there

I self taught AS Maths in 4months and I would say I am pretty confident I could get an A overall at AS in my 3 exams in June.

I was planning to self teach C3 and S1 over summer and make a start on C4. This is so I can concentrate on my 3 other subjects during A2 and not have to worry about Maths.

How big is the jump from AS to A2? I am not worried about S1 but it's C3 and C4 that I would have worries about.

It is a big jump. Similar to the jump from GCSE to AS. All I can say is it's manageable if you work at it

ReputationRep:
    Hello there

Not that much of a jump tbh

It appears harder than some subjects because the subject matter is harder than AS and is dependant on a very clear understanding of C1 and C2

I would say "no" to completing S1 in the Summer as you are unlikely to recall it 10 months later without regular reviewing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    It is a big jump. Similar to the jump from GCSE to AS. All I can say is it's manageable if you work at it
    I guess it's the same with anything then

I find AS okay in terms of difficulty. Some C2 questions can be hard but apart from that most of it's okay

Would you say FP1 is easier than C3?

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's the same with anything then

I find AS okay in terms of difficulty. Some C2 questions can be hard but apart from that most of it's okay

Would you say FP1 is easier than C3?
    TenOfThem seems to disagree with me, but I'd say its a personal opinion.
    FP1 is considerably easier than C3 imho. The harder topics are in FP2 and 3 now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    TenOfThem seems to disagree with me, but I'd say its a personal opinion.
    FP1 is considerably easier than C3 imho. The harder topics are in FP2 and 3 now.
    I am considering doing AS further as I am applying for an Engineering degree

I think M2,FP1 and S2 is my best bet

ReputationRep:
    I am considering doing AS further as I am applying for an Engineering degree

I think M2,FP1 and S2 is my best bet
    Seems legit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Not that much of a jump tbh

It appears harder than some subjects because the subject matter is harder than AS and is dependant on a very clear understanding of C1 and C2

I would say "no" to completing S1 in the Summer as you are unlikely to recall it 10 months later without regular reviewing
    oh really? I was considering AS Further.

Considering I will be doing M1 as my applied AS module and S1 as my applied A2 module in standard Maths what do you think my best bet for AS FM is?

I was thinking M2 and M3 as I am applying for Engineering but then again I have doubt about M3 due to the fact I will be self teaching as the teachers are not qualified enough in my school to teach M3. I have heard people say S2 is easier than S1..so it could be a better and easier option.

ReputationRep:
    oh really? I was considering AS Further.

Considering I will be doing M1 as my applied AS module and S1 as my applied A2 module in standard Maths what do you think my best bet for AS FM is?

I was thinking M2 and M3 as I am applying for Engineering but then again I have doubt about M3 due to the fact I will be self teaching as the teachers are not qualified enough in my school to teach M3. I have heard people say S2 is easier than S1..so it could be a better and easier option.
    fp1 fp3 and m2

ReputationRep:
    fp1 fp3 and m2
    you can do 2 pure modules? Is FP3 not reallyyyyy difficult though?

ReputationRep:
    What board do you do

AQA fp3 is an excellent module ... main focus is differential equations which is good for engineers

Edexcel .. I do not know but understand it is similar

ReputationRep:
    I find FP3 easier than FP2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What board do you do

AQA fp3 is an excellent module ... main focus is differential equations which is good for engineers

Edexcel .. I do not know but understand it is similar
    I do NICCEA

http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/...0&f=0&q=28&d=d

^specification.

I have looked at the Engineering courses and all of them mention hyperbolic functions and complex numbers specifically in the Maths modules

EDIT: Newcastle syllabus for the first Mathematics module in the Chemical Engineering course:
    Outline Of Syllabus

Functions, differentiation and integration. Exponential, logarithmic and hyperbolic funtions. Complex numbers, Cartesian and polar forms. Trigonometric functions and inverse functions. Partial differentiation. Techniques of integration and numerical integration. Applications. Basic types of first and second order ordinary differential equations. Analytical methods of solution. Linked systems. Matrix and vector algebra. Solution methods for systems of linear equations. Eigenvalue problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistryChic)
    I find FP3 easier than FP2

Posted from TSR Mobile
    seriously? I see you do chem too

ReputationRep:
    seriously? I see you do chem too
    Yep

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    C4 is probably the biggest jump imo, C3 (in MEI anyway) is just 90% calculus, which isn't too bad. C4 has the rotten vectors..

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.