Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i am coming to the end of year 2 of an undergrad degree, in london.

i have received the same amount of student maintenance loan/grant this year and last year. i have just received the letter from student finance for year 3 of my degree and am getting £573 less, in total. my circumstances haven't changed. i am completely independent from my parents and my income from work is around £3000 per year.

last/this year i received a total of £8526 every year. in academic year 13/14 i'm only receiving £7953.

i have checked the maximum entitlement figures and it says full grant is £3354, yet i am only getting £3080.

the maximum maintenance loan i can get is £7675. i am only receiving £4873.

why am i getting less?

ReputationRep:
    They usually give less to students in their final year but I'm not sure why. If you speak to others on your course you should find that they are also getting less. I heard once it was because you usually finish earlier in your final year and can get out to work earlier but I'm not sure how true this is

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In previous years they give you some money towards the cost if living over the summer. You don't get this in third year because you will either be working or will have access to benefits

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hmm. ok. thanks for replies i would have thought that in that case just my final payment in april would be less? but all 3 payments are less.

ReputationRep:
    It divides payments into 3 approximately equal amounts over the academic year

ReputationRep:
    thank you. at least it seems it's the correct amount and student finance haven't made a mistake. dividing the deduction over the 3 payments is a bit stressful for me as i'll have less every month for rent/living, not just the month i complete my degree. i am barely surviving as it is. oh well *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    Final year students get less money than years 1 and 2 because you aren't expected to support yourself over summer, once you've graduated you'll be allowed to apply for benefits if you're unable to find work straight away.

ReputationRep:
    If you consider it's only meant to cover 9 months rather than 12, it's actually a better rate! But I agree it is not good as rent contracts are a year long

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.