Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I have an interview next Tuesday for a part time job in River Island. I really want to work there but I'm just a bit nervous for the interview. I've heard it's a group interview and then an one on one. I just need some tips about what to wear and what sort of questions they ask! Thank youuuu!

ReputationRep:
    Dress smart casual: a blouse, skirt/trousers and blazer - they'll appreciate that you made the effort instead of coming in your sweats.
    Do some background research on them, just so you know that if asked any questions, you will be able to answer them and definitely learn your employer/manager's name before the interview!
    Be polite, but make sure you're friendly and sound enthusiastic and give a firm handshake. Don't sit before they do or unless they ask you to and mimic the position they sit in.
    When they ask you questions, be truthful, answer them confidently and elaborate on little details possibly throwing in a bit of humour. I find that works for me because it shows you have character.
    The main thing is, make sure they know you're very passionate for the job, keep calm (no one wants a nervous employee) and remember to smile and be confident and you'll be absolutely fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hnavy95)
    Hey guys! I have an interview next Tuesday for a part time job in River Island. I really want to work there but I'm just a bit nervous for the interview. I've heard it's a group interview and then an one on one. I just need some tips about what to wear and what sort of questions they ask! Thank youuuu!
    I worked at RI for three months over Christmas.
    For the interview I wore a blazer, jeans, heel-boots and did my hair nice. No one was particularly dressed up, infact most were more casual than me. Don't worry, it's not the most important part.

First we had a group interview, we got into teams of four, and the manager gave us three topics: "What is good customer service?" "What can you bring to River Island?" and "How will your knowledge help us?" and we had to discuss the answers, which the manager watched us doing, and then do a presentation on them. My advice is to say as much as possible, try and be the dominant person speaking. I was, and I was the only one who got the job out of our four. If you want specific things to say for each topic, let me know.
    Then we each got given a celeb (mine was Rihanna), a price limit (£80), and an occasion, I think mine was something like a date. So I just went around the store and tried to look for things I could picture Rihanna in, it was quite hard to get a whole outfit under 80pound as RI is so overpriced! But I think I did quite well.
    After that there was a little 1 on 1. She asked for my availability, why I want to work there, what I want to do with my life in the long run. Personally I'd say you want a career in fashion even if you don't, she seemed pleased with that. She called the next day letting me know I'd got it.
    Any more questions just ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kateislate)
    I worked at RI for three months over Christmas.
    For the interview I wore a blazer, jeans, heel-boots and did my hair nice. No one was particularly dressed up, infact most were more casual than me. Don't worry, it's not the most important part.

First we had a group interview, we got into teams of four, and the manager gave us three topics: "What is good customer service?" "What can you bring to River Island?" and "How will your knowledge help us?" and we had to discuss the answers, which the manager watched us doing, and then do a presentation on them. My advice is to say as much as possible, try and be the dominant person speaking. I was, and I was the only one who got the job out of our four. If you want specific things to say for each topic, let me know.
    Then we each got given a celeb (mine was Rihanna), a price limit (£80), and an occasion, I think mine was something like a date. So I just went around the store and tried to look for things I could picture Rihanna in, it was quite hard to get a whole outfit under 80pound as RI is so overpriced! But I think I did quite well.
    After that there was a little 1 on 1. She asked for my availability, why I want to work there, what I want to do with my life in the long run. Personally I'd say you want a career in fashion even if you don't, she seemed pleased with that. She called the next day letting me know I'd got it.
    Any more questions just ask
    Okay thanks! What was your answer for "what can you bring to River Island"? Did you say about your fashion awareness, excellent customer service and things like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hnavy95)
    Okay thanks! What was your answer for "what can you bring to River Island"? Did you say about your fashion awareness, excellent customer service and things like that?
    Yeah I just said I had good people skills, i know a lot about fashion im really interested in it (even though im not), i said im really patient (also not) hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kateislate)
    Yeah I just said I had good people skills, i know a lot about fashion im really interested in it (even though im not), i said im really patient (also not) hahaha
    Hahaa okay! How soon after the interview did you start work?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone with experience of working at River Island could you help me out? I had my group interview on the 14th of may and I feel like it went well, I was coming up with good ideas and making people laugh but I made sure I wasn't cocky. I have been reading through other similar articles and it has reassured me that I must have done well, I dressed trendy (Black slim jeans, Nike Blazers and a plain rolled up sleeve top) and answered well to given questions. However! I still haven't had my reply as they said I would receive a phone call if I have been successful on a full time job or I would get an Email if I was successful for a part time, I'm just worried if i haven't been successful at all because I haven't received either. Does anyone know how much longer I should wait? I know there is an event coming up on the 28th that successful applicants should attend but its getting close now.

Any help will be much appreciated!
    Cheers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.