Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guys..
    I really do not know whether i should take a gap year or not. I received four rejections for Medicine weeks ago and still undecided on what to do with my future.
    i've asked for feedback from my unis and its a problem with the UKCAT score, my ps didnt have enough extra curricular and the only interview i had i messed up at one of the stations which pulled down my average.

my parents are really against me doing a gap year, they really want me to apply for another course through UCAS extra/clearing e.g biomed or optometry. But i really dont know if i want to spend the rest of my life having a career in any of the other courses.

here are my grades if it helps
    9A* 1A at GCSE
    AS grades = AAAA
    A-level prediction = A*AA

The thing is, what if i dont get the second time round either? i feel if i didnt get in second time round its like ive wasted a year.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Its not like you have to just sit around on a gap year. Properly planned, its a fantastic opportunity that affords opportunities way beyond just another stab at medicine. I wish i'd taken one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Its not like you have to just sit around on a gap year. Properly planned, its a fantastic opportunity that affords opportunities way beyond just another stab at medicine. I wish i'd taken one.
    Good advice - most parents (especially Indians, including mine) somehow have it in their heads that a gap year is "damaging" because you "lose the ability to study well and work ethic flies out the window, because you spend a year on beaches doing nothing".

But these gap years give you a chance to do things to make yourself stand out in your application - things like volunteering in hospitals, working with NGO's to improve healthcare in developing countries - there's a lot more you can do.

Just out of interest, does your school have a careers advisor? If so, then I think they're the best person to consult at this point in time.

[EDIT] Medicine is a horribly competitive course, so I'd also advise you to aim for higher grades than you're currently predicted - universities don't mention this too often, but your predicted grades also have an influence over the quality of your application. Meeting the requirement is never enough for Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Take the gap year! As someone on a gap year, it's a no brainer. The start of the gap year for me wasn't very nice, it was hard work, I was having to revise for UKCAT all the time, I volunteered in a charity shop, did work experience in a hospital and was preparing for interviews. Now I'm on the second half of my gap year (and with a med school offer!), I can chill out. I've got a job, can focus on my hobbies (karate, history reading and videogames!) and am going to go travelling around the States in a few weeks. I am very pleased to have taken one, despite the first months being stressful.

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to be a doctor take the gap year. All the problems with your application can be fixed - most people improve their UKCAT second time around, and there are the non-UKCAT unis to consider (Bristol and Birmingham). You have a chance to add to your EC's over the summer and improve your PS. I would recommend using the PS helper service here - it did wonders for my application. If you really put the time into the research and apply wisely there's no reason you can't get an offer next time round.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.