Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So much for the so called 'special relationship' lol! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Barely anyone from the US bothered to turn up to Thatcher's funeral

Our government extended invitations to the Bush, Reagan and Clinton families and not one person wanted to turn up lol!

It's funny though how the BBC and mainstream media here were milking themselves over the fact senior US diplomats and former Presidents would turn to Margaret Thatcher's funeral and yet no one turned up. I mean our government had the audacity to invite President Obama, as if he was going to turn up Whereas practically our whole government including sitting PM Tony Blair ran to Ronald Reagan's funeral.

This isn't an attack on the US, this is an attack on our poodle government and media who are always keen to tell us how great this special relationship between the UK and US is. Well we're the only ones to think that there is one lol!

ReputationRep:
    Did Gorbachev go?

ReputationRep:
    It is the media and the politicians that have bought into this lie of a special relationship. the media gets their information from the politicians and the politicians get their confirmation from the media. It is a never ending circle of ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
    Did Gorbachev go?
    No he didn't, he was too ill apparantly. What's sad on our part is neither of the Bush's bothered to turn up. Especially since one had worked with Thatcher and the other had dragged our country into Iraq.

Maybe this epic snub from the Americans will act as a slap in the face to our media and especially our government. We're always up their backsides and it's embarrassing.

ReputationRep:
    Ironically, the "special relationship" was most arguably existent while Mrs T was in government. She had a very strong relationship with Reagan, both through shared ideology and a personal friendship. Had he been alive, I'm sure he would have attended. Slightly disappointing that Bush Sr. didn't attend, given the support she gave him in the run up to the Gulf War (that said, there may be a reason).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrogInABog)
    Ironically, the "special relationship" was most arguably existent while Mrs T was in government. She had a very strong relationship with Reagan, both through shared ideology and a personal friendship. Had he been alive, I'm sure he would have attended. Slightly disappointing that Bush Sr. didn't attend, given the support she gave him in the run up to the Gulf War (that said, there may be a reason).
    Bush Sr along with Dubya were too busy opening up some library to attend. Apparently President Obama tried to push Bush Sr to go London for the funeral but he refused

ReputationRep:
    The USA couldn't care less about the 'special relationship' because there isn't one. The UK is an irrelevant country on a global scale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chadya)
    The USA couldn't care less about the 'special relationship' because there isn't one. The UK is an irrelevant country on a global scale.
    Agreed, though it still doesn't prevent us crawling up their backsides from time to time. I don't think our current crop of politicians have got it, whether they be Labour or Conservative that the US looks down on us. They see us like we're a needy girlfriend and that's true, we are one.

ReputationRep:
    We'll have to wait for some politicians with backbones.

It's a pity that this lot are so poodle-like.

Get some pride, Britain.

ReputationRep:
    If it was Thatcher sending out the invites i'm sure the Americans would turn up.

She just had the attitide of 'I expect you to be there' rather than 'Would you like to come'
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I thought Newt and Hilary did turn up?

ReputationRep:
    Bush Sr was recently very ill, so perhaps he is still not well enough to travel. Dubya Bush was probably too busy playing golf.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.